Fit bit accuracy

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that most modern devices are pretty accurate at counting things like walking or running, but very inaccurate for calculating calories burned for things like strength training or kettle balls or cardio classes.

This is why I like the HR monitor... even if you're not taking steps it's calculating your burn based upon your heart rate which is super accurate.

Heart rate isn't super-accurate for those things though. It's best when you're doing steady-state cardio.

Really? Could have fooled me! My last Rank test in Muay Thai calculated the hell out of my calorie burn. I wasn't moving my feet too much... just dancing around really, as MMA folks do. The calorie burn based on my heart rate (HIIT), was off the charts!

Yes, really. Your heart is a pump that supplies oxygen to your cells. It will beat faster when you're exercising, or when you're stressed, or dehydrated, or if you've had a lot of caffeine.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    The longer you wear it and enter your data the more accurate it becomes
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that most modern devices are pretty accurate at counting things like walking or running, but very inaccurate for calculating calories burned for things like strength training or kettle balls or cardio classes.

This is why I like the HR monitor... even if you're not taking steps it's calculating your burn based upon your heart rate which is super accurate.

You should know that using an HRM anything other than steady state cardio, for calorie burn, is pretty meaningless.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Charge HR 2 and pretty accurate here too!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    It says I walk at least 300 steps when I am sleeping. Granted I do get up to go to the bathroom once or twice. But hubs has never accused me of thrashing about in bed. So, IDK.
  • linreadsy
    linreadsy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sara2652 wrote: »
    I've caught my fitbit one tracking steps while riding in the car but I think its only because I'm holding the button down to check because it doesn't show up when I check online in the evening.

Depending on your height, weight and activity level 2,700 isn't too hard to get to. At 5'5 and 220lbs my BMR is 1765cal. then you add simple daily going ons plus what ever workout and I'm typically around 2,600cal a day (I'm not that active yet).

Side note I was in a group where we actually had our true BMRs tested and mine was 20% higher then the average in other words no slow metabolism excuse for me but also why going too far into a generally suggested deficit had me starving and dizzy all the time.

How many steps are you averaging? I got only 6k yesterday and fitbit said I burned just over 3000 calories. It wanted me to eat an additonal 700 calories. Does this seem comparable to you? I'm new to both fitbit and MFP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    linreadsy wrote: »
    Sara2652 wrote: »
    I've caught my fitbit one tracking steps while riding in the car but I think its only because I'm holding the button down to check because it doesn't show up when I check online in the evening.

Depending on your height, weight and activity level 2,700 isn't too hard to get to. At 5'5 and 220lbs my BMR is 1765cal. then you add simple daily going ons plus what ever workout and I'm typically around 2,600cal a day (I'm not that active yet).

Side note I was in a group where we actually had our true BMRs tested and mine was 20% higher then the average in other words no slow metabolism excuse for me but also why going too far into a generally suggested deficit had me starving and dizzy all the time.

How many steps are you averaging? I got only 6k yesterday and fitbit said I burned just over 3000 calories. It wanted me to eat an additonal 700 calories. Does this seem comparable to you? I'm new to both fitbit and MFP.

to know what calories you burn from walking its pounds x distance walked x.3.see if that gives you a more accurate calorie burn and see if it coincides with the fitbit. (if you wear it all night.write down the number of calories burned as soon as you wake up).
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help! I have my fit but linked to mfp but don't understand how it works? Does it link your steps/calories burned to mfp?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    All the innacuracies mentioned are possible.

Your food logging quality is just as big, if not bigger, of a potential issue.

Many foods routinely report their calories per portion as less than what their macros add up to. In part because of fiber and in part by taking advantage of regulations to make themselves look as the less caloric option.

As such I often calculate calories by adding up macros as opposed to using the lower MFP total calorie figure.

I recently looked into a special snowflake's data via MFP and Fitbit and concluded that for them, using a total of three different Charge HR devices in an approximately 690 day time period, based on their logging, 3500 Cal per lb, and deriving total calories from macros, their tdee was overestimated by ~2% to ~4%.

Or, on a putative TDEE of just over 3K calories a day they saw a ~60 to ~120 Cal discrepancy that was not supported by changes to their trending weight as per www.trendweight.com

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15FAp44ZZtjlhdX3x8CCg1kVsGBk14--8XGcAtzvLmc4/edit?usp=drivesdk

Unfortunately it cannot be broken by individual bands; but the 2% and 4% time frames were definitely based on different Charge HR devices.

Tl;dr: your results are unlikely to be crazy off the wall if your logging is generally good and you use a trending weight app to evaluate your progress. Assume accurate to 5% or so, adjust based on your results over time.

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help! I have my fit but linked to mfp but don't understand how it works? Does it link your steps/calories burned to mfp?

Yes, if your activity level as recorded by Fitbit exceeds the default level you have set in MFP, it will give you extra calories. In my experience, I have myself set as Sedentary in MFP so it gives me the "bare minimum" to start the day as my calorie goal and I earn more once I exceed that default level, which usually happens around 3k steps. This motivates me to move more, as the more I move, the more calories I get.

If you set your activity level higher, you will start the day with more calories but would have to exert more activity before the Fitbit will award extra cals. If you set your level higher than Sedentary, the consensus seems to be to make sure you have negative adjustments enabled. If you have a day with lower activity than you selected, the Fitbit will take away calories until you meet that level.

Hope all that makes sense... :)
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    One more thing. I log my food to the gram on MFP every day. My reports say I eat an average of 1700 calories a day. Fitbit say I burn an average of 1900 calories a day. My scale show my weight maintaining perfectly. So it seems Fitbit Charge HR 2 for me is 200 calories a day too high. That's an example of how you can know for sure. But it does take diligence and consistency.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Either that, or logging inaccuracies, or a little bit of both.....
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    ps my Fitbits HR function is NOT super accurate depending on what I'm doing. Too often it shows no reading, or will show 60-something when I'm in the middle of a brisk walk going uphill.

same here when exercising a lot of times it will show no heart rate, sometimes when Im even sitting still. I tell hubby"well according to my fitbit Im dead" lol.

Not sure yet if this is causation or correlation, but I'm more likely to have a bad/missing HR readout on the Charge 2 HR if my arms are low, hanging. If I have my elbows bent, hands slightly higher than elbow & closer to heart level, I almost always get a more reasonable # showing for HR. Maybe something to do with the position but it might be random luck also.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options

When you use MFP and tell it an activity level: MFP estimates how many calories you'll burn in a day based on your stats and activity level. For example sake, say it assumes I will burn 1800. THis averages out to 75 per hour.

Fitbit estimates your calorie burn daily using your stats and your actual movement. The difference between MFP's prediction and Fitbit's actual calculation will result in an adjustment on your daily calories at MFP. Note though, that if you do not have negative adjustments enabled you'll see a 0 adjustment if your Fitbit burned # is less than what MFP expected.

So back to my example. I am 5'5.5", 127ish pounds, 42, female and lightly active. MFP expects me to burn 1800 daily. For yesterday, Fitbit said I burned 2000 so that would be a +200 on yesterday.

Each time you sync, Fitbit sends data to MFP about what you've burned so far for hte day and MFP uses its estimation to predict where you'll end. I'll break it down:

*5:00am I wake up. I was in bed, sleeping, not being active. My BMR is about 50 per hour so Fitbit says I've burned 250. If I sync now, since MFP expects 75 per hour, my adjustment would show -125 because MFP expected me to be at 375. Note: MFP cannot calculate that you're sleeping some hours, on your feet others, etc.
    *5-6:00am I am moving around the house, getting ready for my day. At 6am I'm at 325 burned. MFP expected 450, so I'm still -125
    7:00am I go for an hour run, and at 8am I'm at 750 burned. MFP expected 525 so now I'm +175

Each time you sync thru the day, MFP makes these calculations.

At 10pm, Fitbit says I have burned 1900 and I am going to bed. MFP expected 1650 after 22 hours, so +250. But MFP also expects me to burn 75 cals each of the last 2 hours of the day and I won't. So when I sync the next day, Fitbit will probably show me about 2000 total burned for the completed day, and the adjustment will change to +200.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ps my Fitbits HR function is NOT super accurate depending on what I'm doing. Too often it shows no reading, or will show 60-something when I'm in the middle of a brisk walk going uphill.

same here when exercising a lot of times it will show no heart rate, sometimes when Im even sitting still. I tell hubby"well according to my fitbit Im dead" lol.

Not sure yet if this is causation or correlation, but I'm more likely to have a bad/missing HR readout on the Charge 2 HR if my arms are low, hanging. If I have my elbows bent, hands slightly higher than elbow & closer to heart level, I almost always get a more reasonable # showing for HR. Maybe something to do with the position but it might be random luck also.

I dont know it for me happens at all times and sometimes when I check my pulse manually against my fitbit its very seldom the same.same with when I use my polar ft7,it will give me another number than my fitbit will. The polar FT7 was more accurate than the fitbit.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options

I dont know it for me happens at all times and sometimes when I check my pulse manually against my fitbit its very seldom the same.same with when I use my polar ft7,it will give me another number than my fitbit will. The polar FT7 was more accurate than the fitbit.

That uses a chest strap, yes? I doubt a wrist-worn HR will ever be as accurate as a chest strap.

Personally, I think the Fitbit One is the best Fitbit model. But I like the additional features that come with the Fitbit Charge 2 HR. And you can have multiple devices on one Fitbit profile. So I wear both. It seems to me that Fitbit uses data from each of them. It tracks cardio automatically w/ the Charge 2 but uses the step count from the One. The Charge 2 often does not count steps if I move a little at a time, like going to the bathroom at work which is 10 feet from my office. And if I'm doing something using my hands (folding pizza boxes in a part time job @ Dominos for example) the Charge 2 adds steps, but when I sync the One takes them back off. They work together pretty well.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

That uses a chest strap, yes? I doubt a wrist-worn HR will ever be as accurate as a chest strap.

Personally, I think the Fitbit One is the best Fitbit model. But I like the additional features that come with the Fitbit Charge 2 HR. And you can have multiple devices on one Fitbit profile. So I wear both. It seems to me that Fitbit uses data from each of them. It tracks cardio automatically w/ the Charge 2 but uses the step count from the One. The Charge 2 often does not count steps if I move a little at a time, like going to the bathroom at work which is 10 feet from my office. And if I'm doing something using my hands (folding pizza boxes in a part time job @ Dominos for example) the Charge 2 adds steps, but when I sync the One takes them back off. They work together pretty well.

Interesting! I've noticed the same thing with my charge 2. There was one night that I was within about 400 steps to my goal so I was walking around my apartment to get those steps and was getting frustrated when it wouldn't pick up the steps.

Another time, I was sorting through paperwork for a little bit and noticed that it added steps for that. So I figure that all the skipping steps and some added steps cancel each other out.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    My theory is that the newer Fitbits were intended to be less sensitive, so that it would take more 'arm movement' to make them register false steps. Which would mean you need more bodily movement to get it counting steps also. Better to be falsely too low than falsely too high? I've noticed w/ the One that if I take a step or two, it does not count. That I need to move 5+ steps and it will add all 5+. This threshold seems higher w/ the Charge 2, like it might need 8-10 to get it going.

But it will also depend on the user and how they move. Almost every time I sync my One is higher step # than my Charge 2. But Hubby is different. He also wears both. He must talk alot with his hands or something because he said his step # from the Charge is usually higher than his One, so when he syncs he gets the lower number.

Fitbit seems able to tell when you're only wearing 1 device though. Saturday I changed shorts before heading out to walk, only had on the Charge 2, and was really afraid that I was going to lose 8,000 steps when I got back home, got the One and synced. But I did not lose the steps. Was the Fitbit Goal Day 2017 so I was nervous, wanted that badge.

Interesting! I've noticed the same thing with my charge 2. There was one night that I was within about 400 steps to my goal so I was walking around my apartment to get those steps and was getting frustrated when it wouldn't pick up the steps.

Another time, I was sorting through paperwork for a little bit and noticed that it added steps for that. So I figure that all the skipping steps and some added steps cancel each other out.