Work out frequency

Options
DRetel
DRetel Posts: 136 Member
Soooo, I'm trying to get back into shape, and joined a gym last week... I'm trying to decide how often to go to the gym to do cardio/fat burn work outs. I haven't worked in strength training yet, as I'm easing myself into making GOING to the gym a new habit.
Last week I was there Thurs/Sat/Sun. I was planning on taking today off. I'm feeling great, not sore at all so part of me is thinking of going today after all.

For those of you who go to the gym, or do cardio at home, how often do you work out? When I incorporate weight training, I'll likely do that about 3/4 days per week, but I'm torn on how often to get there and ride the bike or treadmill...

Thanks from the newbie! ;-)

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Just starting off, I'd say 3 or 4 times a week is great. Kick it up a notch after your body has adjusted a bit. Currently, I workout 6 days a week, one day of cross training, two days of strengthening (with either a run or cross training included), 1 day of dance, and 2 days of running.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would suggest giving yourself another week of alternating days. When you start weight training you can do cardion on the days you do not lift. 6 days a week is a helluva workout schedule. You will be seeing results in no time. Good luck.
  • Rickie_Raver
    Rickie_Raver Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I typically do at least 30 mins of cardio 6 days a week. On Mon/Wed/Friday I do two hours of cardio then on Tue/Thur/Sat I do weight training. But regardless of what day it is I still walk/jog for 30 mins. Seems to be working for me but it's a major committment.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I try to "schedule" 5 days a week and give myself 2 rest days by looking at my schedule and seeing when I dont think there is a way I can make it at all, and those are my rest days. I dont usually make it to the gym 5 days usually about 4 becouse something always happens and I dont make it. Like last night. My shift was longer then scheduled and I had to be back at work again this morning so no gym after all. But that is how I do it. From what I have read it is rec 3-5 days a week? so if you get in anywhere between those two numbers you are good.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I try to live by "sweat every day." I'd say I do 20 to 60 minutes of cardio at the gym 5 or 6 days a week, and on Sundays I usually go on walks in the hills around my home. Also, I haven't been doing this lately due to a crazy schedule, but I like to do kettlebell circuit training twice a week (this probably would take the place of that day's cardio as it's pretty intense). I'm kind of trying to form a healthy addiction so that when I go back to school I won't revert to my totally sedentary student's life. So maybe this is a bit extreme. But I also find it helps with stress and sleep habits and it is nice to earn enough calories to be able to eat out with my friends the way I used to once in a while.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was working out pre-injury 5-6 days a week for 90 minute-2 hours. I just got the okay from the dr. to ease back into it after 2 weeks off so I'll start at 45ish minutes 3-4 days a week.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I take one full day off, and I don't do strength on Sunday. Other than that, here's my schedule. My cardio of choice is a combination of bike, arc, and elliptical. My strength training is at Curves.

M-F: 70-100 minutes of cardio, 30-40 minutes of strength
    Sunday: 100-140 minutes of cardio

Saturdays are my no-gym days. I may take a walk or something with the kids, but that's pretty much it. I typically do not go to the gym that day.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I aim for 5-6 times a week. My schedule would be something like this:

Leg Day, Strength Training
    (Either Day off or) Upper Body Day, Strength Training
    Day off
    Cardio
    Possible Oudoor Running/Cardio
    Day off
    Leg Day

and it starts again. I use to do more cardio, less strength but in order for me to continue running I have to maintain the muscle and strength in my legs/knees and calves to be able to do it pain free.
    When I was younger, say 18?19? - Anyway I would run 7 days a week, and while I was pretty fit my knees went to hell so quickly I thought it was bad forever. I started strength training and it's helped immensely overall. Before I was really thin, but had no strength WhatSoEver but now I am stronger all around and very pleased with it. (23 now)

DO what works for you. If it's 2 times a week, great, 4 times? great - but it has to be something achievable and something you will continue to do. Lets say 10 years down the road my 5-6 is too much, then I will cut back, but make sure I still strive to be active. I just hope I don't end up like my mum, LOL - complaining of aches and pain, old age and the repetitive saying of,

"... YOU just wait until you're 55-56, ... etc etc" Lol.
  • nefertirie
    nefertirie Posts: 13
    Options
    i work out 4-5 days a week.. none on weekends...i tend to workout for about 2 hours a day.. doing both cardio and weights.. gonna be starting zumba next month.. so its gonna be interesting..
  • Cebrinaj
    Cebrinaj Posts: 16
    Options
    I AM WANTING TO LOSE FAT AND GAIN MUSCLE BUT I WAS TOLD TO LOSE THE FAT FIRST AND THEN TRY AND GAIN MUSCLE SO I HAVE BEEN WALKING AT LEAST AN HOUR A DAY WHICH USUALLY LEADS ME TO 4 MILES A DAY!!!! I USED TO DO THE FLIRTY GIRL VIDEOS WHICH REALLY WORKED BUT I AM WONDERING IF I SHOULD DO THEM AGAIN RIGHT NOW!!! AND IF I DO SHOULD I DO THE VIDEOS IN THE MORNING AND WALK AT NIGHT OR SHOULD I DO THEM BACK TO BACKK? AND IF I DONT HAVE TIME TO DO THEM TOGETHER WILL I GET THE SAME RESULTS?