Dark and Not easily offended

Options
Hey just wondering, I have a pretty dark sense of humour (and indeed being probably) i tend not to take too much that seriously as i know we are all hurtling towards doom on a rock. Ive noticed a lot of people tending to be a lot easier offended these days. Thoughts? Is anyone here darker than they have to 'present' to the outside world?

Rich

Replies

• missvalentine25
    missvalentine25 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you. I have quite a dark sense of humour and I tend to come across as insensitive if I don't watch what I say!
  • onlytruemanhere83
    onlytruemanhere83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I try to not watch what i say...its much more fun, plus i get to stay true to myself... whats the most inappropriate thing you've got in trouble for?
  • Blakes_Momm13
    Blakes_Momm13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I let my freak flag fly!! Haha.. if people don't get it.. then oh well. Except at work.. I'm deffinitly the outcast because I need to just keep my mouth shut lol

• onlytruemanhere83
    Options
    Fly it! same question to you... whats the most inappropriate thing you've got into trouble for
  • Blakes_Momm13
    Blakes_Momm13 Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    idk what was the most inappropriate.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the Internet as a whole needs to chill. Probably people offline, too, although it's usually places like Facebook or Tumblr where I see people getting all kinds of offended over the smallest stuff. They usually sail under the flag of some kind of -ism but often take things wayyyyyy too serious.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't like the dark. Or heights.

I find that city dwellers more freely spread the barbs. In a small town setting, people tend to be more careful. After all, you are going to run in to your "target" sooner rather than later.
  • onlytruemanhere83
    Options
    I like it, i like that mentality of 'you know i dont like you...you dont like me' i prefer that, i guess in a small town its hard going. But hey... Im okay with parts of me being dislikable. Theres a school of thought that thinks the only way you can become a whole person is by awakening the dark side of yourself, i subscribe to this. Its always worth knowing what you 'could' be capable of
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hey just wondering, I have a pretty dark sense of humour (and indeed being probably) i tend not to take too much that seriously as i know we are all hurtling towards doom on a rock. Ive noticed a lot of people tending to be a lot easier offended these days. Thoughts? Is anyone here darker than they have to 'present' to the outside world?

Rich

I've always been an "ideas" person--not a "people" person. "Ideas" people are underappreciated--except for those people whose ideas change the world. You've heard of many of those people.

I want to talk to people about ideas. And it's hard for "idea" people to take "people" people seriously.

The downside is, I'm misunderstood; I'm seen as quiet, or worse: anti-social.
    The upside? I live a fulfilling life that, frankly, many people don't understand. And I'm fine with that.

EDITED: clicked "Save Post" by mistake. I had to finish an incomplete thought.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Same here. I get called harsh a lot too. I'm extremely sarcastic as well. :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of the dark.

:D:D
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Same here. I get called harsh a lot too. I'm extremely sarcastic as well. :)
    me too and brutally honest. :-/
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Life is a *kitten* and then you do die. What could be darker than that?
    In the meantime, though, if we organize ourselves into societies with laws and proscriptions of behavior and statutes of punishment for violations of those proscriptions, we can make a few pleasant encounters if we just try to avoid those statutes of punishment.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like it, i like that mentality of 'you know i dont like you...you dont like me' i prefer that, i guess in a small town its hard going. But hey... Im okay with parts of me being dislikable. Theres a school of thought that thinks the only way you can become a whole person is by awakening the dark side of yourself, i subscribe to this. Its always worth knowing what you 'could' be capable of

A deep thought I've been working through is that you cannot really live until you reconcile to your death. It's a Buddhist idea. Personally, I've spent most of my days forestalling disability, infirmity, and death. I wonder what it would be like to give up that particular struggle?

How does that reconcile to Albert Schweitzer's great revelation, "Reverence for life", that he got while observing the (rather excessive) abundance of life in the African rainforest? Doesn't all life struggle to preserve itself, even if it is for the next generation?
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »

Rich

I've always been an "ideas" person--not a "people" person. "Ideas" people are underappreciated--except for those people whose ideas change the world. You've heard of many of those people.

I want to talk to people about ideas. And it's hard for "idea" people to take "people" people seriously.

The downside is, I'm misunderstood; I'm seen as quiet, or worse: anti-social.
    The upside? I live a fulfilling life that, frankly, many people don't understand. And I'm fine with that.

EDITED: clicked "Save Post" by mistake. I had to finish an incomplete thought.

EDITED again. There's no way to really tie this in, except to say that it's OK to be different, and I can appreciate those who don't care what other people think.
    (I thought there was a way to delete a post?)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Talking about people being offended so easy these days I always think back to that seinfeld episode, "Not that there is anything wrong with that..." had to follow any possible offencive comment.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    In my professional life I have to be
    Polite, Friendly, understanding etc etc

My personal life is the polar opposite.
    I have a very dark military sense of humour, sarcastic and blunt as a sledgehammer

On Internet forums I have to play nice,
    People get offended by the slightest
    Remark
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    In my professional life I have to be
    Polite, Friendly, understanding etc etc

My personal life is the polar opposite.
    I have a very dark military sense of humour, sarcastic and blunt as a sledgehammer

On Internet forums I have to play nice,
    People get offended by the slightest
    Remark

I thought humor was not allowed in the military.
  • HealthyAllison27
    HealthyAllison27 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Rich

I feel that way too! Everyone is so worried about being politically correct and polite that they forget to just loosen up and have a laugh!