Drinking too much water

Options
I drink approximately 13-15 cups of water. Is that too much?

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I drink on average 100oz, which if you go by actual 8 oz cups, is about 13. I don't have any ill effects. But then I need to drink a lot due to being predisposed to kidney infections.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    No. Unless you are drinking it all in a very short period of time it is extremely difficult to drink too much water.

Most days I drink at least 10 16 ounce glasses...or 20 cups. If I go hiking, add 2-2.5 liters to that. I detest being thirsty, and if I drink less I get thirsty.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    PatanjaliTwist Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I drink that much, as well, as I'm always thirsty. I'm not diabetic, don't smoke, don't eat lots of salt or foods/drink that might make me thirsty. It's just something I accept. I read that ingesting a pinch of salt before drinking water might make the body retain it better, if dehydration is an issue, but I don't see enough of a difference that I bother.

Not sure I'm being helpful, just saying that I do the same & have forever & have no ill effects. I just need more water than the average bear.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm the same I drink about 120 - 130 ounces of water a day. **Except I do struggle a little on the weekends, which is weird. If you feel thirsty - drink. :smiley: I had the nurse practitioner, who did my biometric screening tell me that 130 ounces was a bit too much and to slow down my drinking. It's become a habit, so I still drink it throughout the day.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you sit in an air conditioned office all day, it's not necessary. If you're a construction worker in the hot sun, sounds good.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    No.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    going by cups, I drink about the same...13-15.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes8
    KaleidoscopeEyes8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find that when my iron levels are low, I get thirstier and drink a lot more water. If you're truly concerned, I suggest getting your vitamin levels checked. That being said, if you're not feeling great after drinking a lot of water, that means you've drank too much. For me, the symptoms are a lot like being dehydrated—I get dizzy and feel lightheaded.