Do eggwhite cartons really go bad after a week?

Options
I noticed it says "stays good for 1 week after opening" do you REALLY just toss it after a week? I don't go through a whole big carton in 1 week....

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    no it doesn't. I use one carton for two weeks, no problem.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That's why eggs are miraculous little packages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbqv1SuQJ0s
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    No, it takes me quite a while to go through a whole carton of egg whites at 2 tablespoons a day. You're good. :)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Mine has an expiration date and it's longer than a week. *And the ingredients listed are just egg whites. I've had my carton well over a week and I'm still alive :wink:
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Mine has an expiration date and it's longer than a week. *And the ingredients listed are just egg whites. I've had my carton well over a week and I'm still alive :wink:

All the egg white cartons have an expiration date that is longer than a week, but if you look on the side of it, it says "use up to 7 days after opening" Anything can be kept a long time before it's opened lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    No, you're good. I routinely go two weeks with mine open.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Expiration dates, at least in the USA, are a manufacturer's guidelines for when they think the product is the most fresh. Many times, food is fine after the expiration date has passed but it's understandable that some would find that queasy. If the food looks fine, pours fine, and smells fine and it isn't over a week past the expiration date, I have no issue continue using it.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Expiration dates, at least in the USA, are a manufacturer's guidelines for when they think the product is the most fresh. Many times, food is fine after the expiration date has passed but it's understandable that some would find that queasy. If the food looks fine, pours fine, and smells fine and it isn't over a week past the expiration date, I have no issue continue using it.

Same - I grew up this way. And I have been eating my egg whites past a week old for several years and feel great at 42 years old. So this is what I will do until I 'kill' over. :D
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I do not know but the one time I tried the liquid egg whites and it was gross. I threw it away before it expired. I have much more success separating the eggs myself
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Well, I am notorious for eating "old food." Only got food poisoning once and it wasn't my fault.

I use up any food regardless unless it has visible mold or reeks. Never had an issue using egg whites after sitting there in the fridge for ...? Weeks.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options

All the egg white cartons have an expiration date that is longer than a week, but if you look on the side of it, it says "use up to 7 days after opening" Anything can be kept a long time before it's opened lol

Mine says that it's good until the date on the package as long as it's kept refrigerated at 40 degrees Fahrenheit.