Willpower! Let's talk each other down from our cravings!

Options
Rungirl137
Rungirl137 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I think most of us know what we need to do to lose weight. My problem is willpower. I'm a big time emotional eater. I love sugar and it is my comfort (chocolate, doughnuts, pastry, Reese's peanut butter cups....the list goes on). The last year I've tried Atkins, Paleo, Slow carb all with little success. The one thing that did help me when I first gained weight back in University was calorie tracking and running. I figure I'll go back to what works, but I need some help with my cravings!

Replies

• Alphabuena
    Alphabuena Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stress eating will make neither of feel better about ourselves.
  • mfpanyko
    mfpanyko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Several thoughts come to mind... Are you allowing for occasional indulgences? I find that being too restrictive leads to over-indulgences. Having planned extravagances keeps them from being off limits. Thinking of foods in terms of good foods vs bad foods does not work for me.
    And mantras help me: If hunger is not the problem. Food is not the answer. Or I think HALT- am I hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired?
    And having regained a lot of weight at one time due to a really difficult time and a lot of emotional eating, I can tell you that it didn't help. It just gave me a weight problem along with the original one.
    And lastly, the book The Beck Diet Solution has helped me immensely. Not a diet but rather a book to help us be successful dieters. I still refer to it and I'm 4 years at maintaining my goal weight.
  • Rungirl137
    Rungirl137 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll definetly check that out. I know that my problem is emotional eating. I'm also going through a hard time as a family member is having some serious health issues. It causes my anxiety and cortisol levels to go through the roof which I always soothed with chocolate. I'm only 14 lbs from my goal weight, but I want to get on top of it now before it gets out of control.
  • StatesboroKeith
    StatesboroKeith Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Following. Night time emotional eating has been a real issue for me. Looking for advice/strategies to combat this.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try reading The Power of Habit. He discusses how willpower is more about replacing/changing habits and how to figure out your triggers and routines to change them.