Intermittent fasting

Options
Hi I started intermittent fasting. 15:9
I am really excited about it. Anyone else doing it?

Replies

• Blakes_Momm13
    Blakes_Momm13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ive been interested in doing this. You fast for 16 hours and then eat "normal" the other 8, right?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yup I've been doing 16:8 for a few years. I just decided I'd rather spend my calories on lunch and dinner and now I don't miss breakfast at all. I'll have breakfast maybe a couple times a month (bacon & eggs on a lazy Sunday is wonderful).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Yup I've been doing 16:8 for a few years. I just decided I'd rather spend my calories on lunch and dinner and now I don't miss breakfast at all. I'll have breakfast maybe a couple times a month (bacon & eggs on a lazy Sunday is wonderful).

Same here.

I still have to log and count calories because I can and do go over pretty regularly if I'm not tracking things, but eating fewer larger meals usually works better for me.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I fell into a natural 15:9 rhythm and it's working really well for me. I still track my foods and measure everything as precisely as I can though.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Ive been interested in doing this. You fast for 16 hours and then eat "normal" the other 8, right?

You still have to stay in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I like feeling hungry in the mornings and also working out on an empty stomach so the meal timing works for me. Still, IF is not magical, I can only lose weight if I count my calories!
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've naturally done 15:9 or 16:8 for most of my adult life - I only eat breakfast on the weekend when I go out with my husband. Still didn't stop me from being almost 100 pounds overweight... you can eat a LOT of food in an 8 or 9 hour window, lol.
    Sooo, I still need to track but I also do the 5:2 which works very well for me. You eat up to 500 calories 2 days a week and up to your TDEE the other 5 days (for me that's approximately 1900 calories). I've lost about 40 pounds in the last couple years - still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    IF is just "not eating the whole time", and 15:9 doesn't even qualify as IF. (Do people really think eating three meals 3-4 hours apart is something special?) It doesn't matter how many meals you eat and how long between. What matters is total daily calories, or rather, calorie intake/expenditure over time.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have been eating in a window for years i.e. 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. It just delays 'break fast" but I still eat all my calories in this time frame and stick to a calorie deficit no matter the time I eat my food.

If any one is thinking that you will lose weight faster or better, it does not help that.

Its more for adherence if you need that, or how you eat due to the way you train, etc. It still all comes down to being in a calorie deficit at the end of the day/week no matter how you choose to consume your food.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I say I do 16:8, but it's more like 18:6. Most of my calories are consumed between 2 pm and 8 pm. Every once in a while I'll eat breakfast. Like this past Monday morning. I had a stomach bug Sat. and Sunday and only consumed 500 cals each day. By monday morning I could barely stand up so I was pretty ok eating in the am.
  • Einstein9
    Einstein9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate between a 16:8 and a 18:6, I have lost 66lbs since I started and feel great. I am not as big muscle wise anymore, but that is mainly because I do not lift anymore. The thing I love the most is the sustainability of this.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I do 18:6