Diastasis Recti in Men

Options
RDahling
RDahling Posts: 27 Member
I see there is a group for people with diastasis recti, but it appears to be essentially dead, and most of the conversations about DR are related to women as this condition occurs typically in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. Even doing research on the internet is primarily directed towards women, then men with larger abdominal regions like myself are prone to it as well.

I'd like to get some advice/tips on how to resolve the issue beyond the basic stuff found online. I don't want to hold off on my training as it is helping me reduce my weight and lean up, but at the same time I don't want to aggravate the condition. I'm tired of my upper abdominal region looking bloated and distended (my DR appears to be naval to sternum, and I discovered I had it when I was doing crunches on a stability ball and it looked like a toblerone was rising out of my abdominal region), so I'd like to get some tips and advice without having to pay for the Mutu or Tupler programs (which I have no idea if they'll actually work). I'm hoping to resolve this issue before I start work in August (I'm a Uni Prof and on sabbatical in India right now, so I'm able to work out daily and control my food intake because I have time to do it).

Any one have suggestions or tips for men with DR?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Here's a link that may be helpful.

newhealthadvisor.com/Diastasis-Recti-in-Men.html

One item I read suggested avoiding heavy squatting until it's reduced (which should be only a few weeks unless it's really bad). But I agree, there's a shortage of information unless you want to buy someone's program......
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You need to know how bad your gap is. Here is a pretty good video that takes you through how to fully assess your gap.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6_f3iE9mU

You will want to stay away from any workouts that involve crunches. Here is a video I used to help heal my gap. I know it is geared toward women, but I hope it helps:-)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXm5UcVXuEU
  • RDahling
    RDahling Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that may be helpful.

newhealthadvisor.com/Diastasis-Recti-in-Men.html

One item I read suggested avoiding heavy squatting until it's reduced (which should be only a few weeks unless it's really bad). But I agree, there's a shortage of information unless you want to buy someone's program......

Hey Brian,

I'm avoiding anything beyond body squats/goblet squats and leg press and doing so with my gut sucked in as I do the movements, and of course, limited core in the form of mild pelvic-floor pilates (which I do at home).
    You will want to stay away from any workouts that involve crunches. Here is a video I used to help heal my gap. I know it is geared toward women, but I hope it helps:-)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXm5UcVXuEU

Jtalaskamom - thanks for this video - it is helpful in that it is much clearer (and directly to the point) than some of the other vids I've seen online. It is very much appreciated.

Thank you both for the tips and links!

Cheers,
    Rob