Recipes: Husband bulking & I'm losing weight

Options
bribucks
bribucks Posts: 431 Member
I'm currently on a low-calorie (about 1300) diet trying to lose a few more pounds. My husband is doing a lot of weight lifting and trying to bulk up, so he is on a much higher calorie diet (about 3000).

We would like to start doing meal prep and cooking more of our own meals, but I'm not sure how to do this since our goals are so different. Ideas?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Make/prep the same foods, but have him take larger portions and/or additional meals. He can also add things like peanut butter and cheese to his snacks to increase cals pretty quickly.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Different portions? You could have more of a low-cal side and he could have more of the main dish? Or the other way around, depending on how the calories work out. That way you could both have the same food but not eat the same way. I do this with tacos - I eat a taco salad with lots of spinach and beans, my husband has full tacos - or the same main dish with different sides (bread vs veggies?)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I used to cook pretty light/lower cal meals for dinner for the whole family. While I was bulking I just ate more, sometimes adding more oil or things to my portions. If we had tacos for example, I would load mine with guac and cheese to increase the calorie count. I also ate higher calorie lunches and snacks on my own.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, this is just a matter of portion, not recipe.

Most of my meal-prep meals are between 400-600 cals per serving. So my fiancee will just have 2 servings for dinner and I will have 1.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I like making things that require some assembly, like tacos, rice bowls or things like tortellini where you can garnish it with cheese/oil/veggies (or not). When I'm cutting and my BF isn't, I also make extra sides that he likes but I don't care for, like garlic bread.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Im on 1550 and BF is bulking on 4500 (hate him lol) I just double his potatoes or garlic bread and chicken. We eat the same stuff just i eat less of it, a lot less of it. Also I fill his calories with bagels and muffins and cereal and other cheaper carbs
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Hubby just eats like 10 times more of the same things.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is me and my husband. He's up to 185 but his ultimate goal is 220, more realistically 200 lbs. I focus on the opposite, fat loss and lean muscle gain. I do all the cooking so it's pretty easy for me to prepare our meals. Here's a typical daily meal.

Breakfast
    Me: 1 cup coffee with sugar free sweetener, 2 slices wheat toast with butter, half slice of ham, and small serving of mixed fruit
    DH: Large serving of grits with butter, 4 whole eggs scrambled, 4 slices of sausage

Lunch
    Me: Fresh deli sliced turkey, cheese, and mustard on high fiber wheat bread and a chocolate rice cake.
    DH: Footlong sub from Subway ... The subway club with american cheese, lettuce, tomatoe, pickles, banana peppers, and vinegar and oil.

Dinner
    Me: Food prep dish ... shredded chicken or lean ground turkey, black beans, sweet corn, and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
    DH: Baked pork loin with gravy, rice, and green beans.

Snacks
    Me: Yogurt, Fresh fruit, or popcorn
    Him: Fresh fruit, fruit smootie, nachos, cakes, cookies

I have no problem preparing our food like this. I drink a lot of water and space my snacks all throughout the day so I'm rarely to the point that I'm starving. We also exercise 5+ times a week. He focuses on weight lifting and I mix it up with weights, HIIT, cardio, and yoga. Our son eats more like him since he's 16 and a varsity football player and our daughter eats more like me, she's 13 and a competitive swimmer.