Heading toward 50.. is it over? Can we really become a new person?

Options
msl2009
msl2009 Posts: 2 Member
About to turn 48. Am overweight, sad and feel life is over. Can life really be good single nearing fifty? I want to become more active, go outside, play a sport or two but wondering if it's worth it.. weight not just the key I am told, exercise is for the mind too.. just want to know if others struggle too

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    50s the new 30!

What do you have to lose by getting out there and being more active? Like you said, it is good for the mind also.
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It is never too late!! I joined MFP in 2012, I was 58, and had gained weight due to cellulitis in my feet and legs (that started in 2008). With MFP and exercise I lost 20 lbs. and felt like a new person. Unfortunately, I had to take prednisone for asthma and gained it all back plus some. So I'm here again, 10+ days and I already feel better about myself. I have fibromyalgia so I start slow and build up the exercise time, I start with waking and when I make 1 hour I also add in a dance tape. Finding what you enjoy does not make it feel like work. Feel free to add me if you want a supportive friend :) Blessings...Joy
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 62. I got married at 60 after being divorced for 27 years!! I joined MFP in April 2016 - have lost 40 lbs with about 10 to go. I am running, doing yoga and just took up boxing. I am in better shape now than I have been in many years! You're just 48!!! That's young!!! (In truth - I found my 50s to be my "best" decade). I traveled quite a bit and had a blast. Took myself to Paris for my 50th birthday and had the time of my life. Anyway, I digress....go for it. :)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Yep. You sure can! One inspiration of mine is @californiagirl2012 and I'm a lot younger, but I would love to end up with her fitness level.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I AM 5, SINGLE AND HAVE M.S. IT IS NOT TOO LATE FOR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO. YOU HAVE THIS MOMENT AND THAT IS IT. LIVE IT. THE PAST IS GONE, THE FUTURE IS NOT KNOWN, ALL WE HAVE IS THIS DAY, THE PRESENT. BEST WISHES FOR YOUR JOURNEY, FOR IT IS THE JOURNEY, NOT THE DESTINATION.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I AM 50 NOT 5.....
  • msl2009
    msl2009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I could just stop feeling sorry for myself I wouldn't be posting here. Depression plays a part, this I know. Glad to hear your stories, truly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    53 and play actively like 30 year olds!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CynoO
    CynoO Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number kick *kitten* and take no names this world is yours conquer your goals
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and didn't start my weight loss journey until I was 55. I led a very sedentary lifestyle for 30 years. Never in a million years did I think I would be able to lose over 50 lbs. and became a competitive powerlifter! In March I competed in my 5th meet and hold several records. I also used to hate sports, both as a participant and spectator. I am now a huge ice hockey, soccer and football fan. Don't ever let your age deter you from starting a new life! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.