What is your motivation?

Options
What keeps you all motivated to stick with your goals? I often let my emotions run the show. What have you found helpful in the past / what do you do now to keep yourself motivated?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Doing some simple breathing and meditation to "check in with yourself" has helped me stay on track. Sometimes we get so busy running around we forget why so just taking some quiet time 5 to 15 minutes a day to reconnect with your breathing and settling your mind really helps. My motivation is to stay off all the medications my parents are on.
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm a youth leader at my church and the largest reason I started this fitness journey was so I could play better with the kids. They are my passion and I wanted to be able to interact better with them. Also I was absolutely miserable in my own skin. When I need motivation, I look at my progress pics, or text my trainer or a friend for support, or list the ways that I've changed and the things I can do now that I couldn't do before. Putting it down on paper where I can see it really helps me. Good luck!
  • monicaamy902
    monicaamy902 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have to find new motivation all the time. Sometimes when I see an old picture of myself where I am at my goal weight. Or sometimes going on Pinterest and finding motivational pictures, exercise routines or inspirational messages. I have to keep looking for healthy (or Paleo, in my case) recipes that look like ones that would be good. I always have to be looking for different motivation because for me having one thing, one picture, one saying, or one reason to stay on track just doesn't work. I need a variety and new inspiration all the time.
  • Mooma29
    Mooma29 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started because my blood pressure pills were increased and because my cholesterol is a bit high. My darling dad died from vascular dementia, that was most likely caused by high bp (even though he wasn't overweight. ) it's my biggest fear and I just decided that I have to do what I can to avoid it. Plus I'd quite like to look good In a posh frock when my daughter gets married in August. So if I get a bit fed up I think about dad (or the frock)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Being healthy and fit is much better than the alternative. Motivation is a fleeting emotion so I don't really go with motivation...mostly habit. To that end, I enjoy what I do...I have the occasional off day, but for the most part my pretty much daily ride is something I very much look forward to. Eating well isn't a chore...I enjoy good food but I'm also not just sucking down salads and dried unseasoned chicken breast everyday which it seems like that's what a lot of people think constitutes "healthy" in regards to diet...I eat a pretty wide variety of foods and I'm pretty rockin' in the kitchen, so eating well is pretty easy.

I also don't have an all or nothing mentality. Life happens and I don't beat myself up over an off day...I don't let an off day run me off the rails, I just get back to my normal routine.

Being healthy and fit is important to me and it's important also that I set an example for my two boys...motivation enough I guess.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    To get fit and active, and then stay fit and active.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Want to go harder at mountain biking and it would be nice to be able to take off my shirt and not feel embarrassed for once on my life
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I'm getting older (47) and I want to be able to continue biking, rollerblading, running, snowboarding, etc. Being overweight and eating poorly makes those things hard. I have too many friends who are younger than me but can't do any of those things due to poor fitness. If I'm feeling discouraged or depressed I make myself do something active. It usually makes me feel better and gets my head back in the game.
  • lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My motivation is my family. I want to be active as I get older so I can continue to experience life with my children and hopefully someday my grandchildren. When I feel like not exercising or making better food choices, I look at them.
  • LesBrock
    LesBrock Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Like above, getting older,things are getting harder and the excess weight is certainly not helping, and hopefully get to live longer as well
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like being fit and healthy more than I like the alternative. It feels good. And that's all the motivation I need. I've been maintaining at goal for several years now so it's a good habit at this point. I don't need rewards or punishments to do the right thing for my body. B)
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Getting older and wanting to stay active and healthy. Also, I'm vain :p
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Want to be in the best physical shape that I can be, with six pack abs!!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My kids
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    reading about 47 year old being active, I am 64 and still love water parks, kayaking, biking. Enjoy Life
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm going to sound vain, but initially I just wanted to look hot when I accidentally bumped into the first guy that pretty much broke my heart. It did start off being about him, but I started to love the changes that I was getting in my body. Running made me feel strong and exercise became addictive. I'm not super motivated all the time. A month ago I was contemplating leaving the gym after I had already walked through the first doors! xD. But persistence is just the key. Start small. You need something you can stick with long term. Pick three days where you won't accept any excuses from yourself. I have days where I don't want to go to the gym, but I make myself go anyway and I'm always glad that I've gone. It becomes easier after it's just become a habit.

I would also recommend trying therapy.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be the weak link when the zombie apocalypse comes. No joke. I mean, yeah I miss being able to rock a bikini, but more importantly I want to be STRONG. Fast and strong. I can still throw a punch but I miss feeling like a physical bad @ss. It's a good feeling knowing you can take care of yourself and your family if there were ever an emergency or a natural disaster of some sort and in my current state I feel like I would be more of a hinderance than a help.