Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fitbit question.

My Fitbit regularly under counts my miles walked. If I run 5 miles on the treadmill it will state I've only walked/ran a little over four miles the entire day. Do you think it is underestimating my steps as well in this case? I don't mind the mileage being incorrect as long as my steps are right.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It sounds like a problem with your stride length. You can go into your Fitbit dashboard or app and enter a custom stride length.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Any idea how to get an accurate length ? I don't have a 30ft measuring tape
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    First point: your stride is not actually always the same. If you are walking 'for fitness' its probably a longer step than if you are wandering around a grocery store. :)

But for fitness, you can adjust until it seems more accurate. Figure out how much it gives you for a treadmill walk, then adjust. Such as if you walk 1 mile on the treadmill and Fitbit shows you walked .8 miles, then increase the stride by 2-3". Repeat as needed. If it gets closer you're on the right track. If you adjust 3" and then its giving you too much distance, then take 1" off.

As to whether or not its counting all your steps? Depends on the type of Fitbit and you. If its a wrist device and you're holding on to something it probably is not counting all the steps. In my experience the Fitbit One is the most accurate as it recognizes trunk movement rather than hand movement.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    I have the same problem when I run - I just use what it says and figure at least that way it is underestimating my burn.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    A track at a local high school is a good place to calibrate many fitness trackers