Smoothies

Options
Just had the most DELICIOUS PB and banana smoothie for lunch! Calories were ok, but sugar was a whopping 35 grams. Most of it was from the apple juice I added. Any lower sugar suggestions for the liquid part of smoothie?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I usually use almond milk for smoothies.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're using sweeter fruit (like a banana), there's generally no good reason to use fruit juice as well (unless you just really like the taste better). I always use water or unsweetened almond milk for my smoothies, not for sugar reasons (I don't track it), but because it reduces the calories and the fruit is usually sweet enough without juice.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it....you only need to worry about sugar if you have a medical condition or if it is crowding out other nutrients or putting you in a calorie surplus...
  • imabhealthy
    imabhealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm just trying to eat less sugar in general. Helps me with cravings and I feel better overall. I have a wicked sweet tooth so I will still use up calories on things like Ben and jerrys and cake!
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Just replace it w water
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I usually use almond milk for smoothies.

I do this sometimes, or use coconut milk (carton kind), or cashew milk (homemade is easy and has more fat, which I usually want for smoothies).

You can also add greek yogurt and water or, of course, milk itself.

I generally add greek yogurt or protein powder to up the protein, don't add a ton of fruit (in the summer I like to try different combinations, but otherwise I mainly just use some frozen berries, not a ton), and as many vegetables as seem like they would be tasty -- greens are easy, avocados can be delicious, I really enjoy fennel and winter squash in them, and cucumbers and even summer squash work, IMO.

Mine generally aren't super high in sugar for a smoothie.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I use regular old cow milk. Good source of protein. Water can work too.

On big calorie days where I skip a meal to spend many hours on a bike or a trail, half and half makes a rich and creamy smoothie like sorbet.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond or coconut milk, coconut water, regular water, greek yogurt...
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I also just use cow milk. I like the protein, and I like the taste. Throw in some spinach if you're feeling brave. ;) It goes well with the PB/banana.
  • amrita14sri
    amrita14sri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How abt using just plain yoghurt n some fruit like pinneaple or mango or strawberry. . Just 1/2 cup of whole milk yoghurt n some water. Makes an awesome glass of deliciousness.

Mango in markets so I occasionally enjoy mango smoothie des days. Add some spinach if u want some greens.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I often have a pitcher of artificially sweetened punch in the fridge. Sometimes I use that for the base instead of water or almond milk. Peach, strawberry-kiwi, and orange flavors all go great with banana, but I'd probably use something creamier if I was also adding peanut butter.
  • dragonfly_66
    dragonfly_66 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just use water, greens and let the fruit do the sugar part. Smoothies are amazing and can be good way to reduce waste in your fridge if done properly
    This is the method I use to make smoothies easy and cost effective: www.bigtinysteps.com/2017/05/smoothies-stew-of-clean-eating.html?m=1