Hi, I'm Sarah. - 100+ pounds to lose

Options
Umeboshi
Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
Hi, my name is Sarah. I'm 18 years old and have been overweight my whole life, but within the past 3 years my weight has gone up by 100 pounds. I've always hated being overweight and had low self-esteem because of it.
I've tried to lose weight before but I always have trouble keeping to a diet program.
I lost 10 pounds on a popular diet but after quitting I gained that back plus 30 more pounds.
I also tried to lose weight with calorie counting but quit because it's hard to discipline myself.
I'm hoping this website will help me count calories and keep myself motivated to lose weight.
I have always had a very sedentary lifestyle but recently have been trying to exercise, too.

It gets very frustrating and discouraging having so much weight to lose. I hope I can stick to it this time.

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Options
    Hi, my name is Sarah. I'm 18 years old and have been overweight my whole life, but within the past 3 years my weight has gone up by 100 pounds. I've always hated being overweight and had low self-esteem because of it.
    I've tried to lose weight before but I always have trouble keeping to a diet program.
    I lost 10 pounds on a popular diet but after quitting I gained that back plus 30 more pounds.
    I also tried to lose weight with calorie counting but quit because it's hard to discipline myself.
    I'm hoping this website will help me count calories and keep myself motivated to lose weight.
    I have always had a very sedentary lifestyle but recently have been trying to exercise, too.

It gets very frustrating and discouraging having so much weight to lose. I hope I can stick to it this time.
  • DaniellaAnn
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I just joined this site about a month ago. I have lost 10 pounds since December 1st though. I also have more then 100 pounds to lose. I have tried many diets before too with no success. So far this site has kept me from eating too much just because of the food tracker. When I see something that is overly high in calories I won't eat it anymore.

You can do this!!!!!! When you need support lean on others on this site. They are wonderful.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    good luck Sarah ~ you can do it! drink your water and log your food before you eat it. after a couple weeks, its easy as can be! :flowerforyou:
  • JamieCook
    JamieCook Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi sarah. I know how you feel and am in the same boat as you. Plus i just had a baby 5 months ago so not only do i have baby weight but now i just eat when i have a min a rarly cook. Altho the hubby and I are sticking to it now. Dont think of it as something you have to do but something you wanna do. Think of the thing that motivates you most weather it be a child, husband, family history of illness from being overweight or simply because you tired of it all. You can do it and so many people are here to help you through it!!

Dont set a really hard goal for yourself. I set mine at 45lbs. I know I wanna loose more but I am striving to reach a goal that is attainable before pushing myself. If you say you wanna lose 100lbs it may be a bit overwhelming. Do what you can and like I said....there are so many people here to help you!!

-Jamie:glasses:
  • nwfamilygal
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou: You can do this:happy: I've been on here since Nov 08 and I've lost 26 lbs. I had 80 When I started. I've been a yo yo dieter all my life. So this is the greatest sight as everyone is so helpful and supportive. Also I never realized how much I was putting in my mouth. It's not to say you can't have that piece of cake or a cookie once in awhile cause you can. You just have to have that in your calorie count. It does work and I feel healthier then I have in years. I walk everyday and drink all my water half my body weight in oz. It is working so if this helps you that is great. Were all here to help and read the posts it has helped me :happy: Good Luck on this journey :drinker:
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!! We all believe in you! And remember - anytime you need support, we're here! :smile:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    welcome to the boards!!!
  • connectingkimmy
    connectingkimmy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it Sarah! I joined back in August and I, too, had over 100lbs to lose. Today I'm down 42lbs! Sometimes people ask me "How did you do it? I don't understand!" and I simply say... "good ole fashioned exercise!" Really though... no pills... not a whole lot of food restriction either. I've been overweight my entire life and have the slowest metabolism in the world, but getting in the gym for about an hour a day and walking several miles when it's nice outside has made all the difference. Please let me know if you need any extra support - I'm totally here for encouragement.
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the site. I joined about a week ago. I love that this site keeps track of my intake and outtake for me. No more carring a notebook around to try and track everything. So far everyone on here has been really nice and supportive and there is alot of great information and ideas. I have also tried numerous fad diets and none have worked. I experienced the same thing as you lose 25 gain 50.

DaniellaAnn is right "when you need support lean on other on the site." We are all here for the same reason. And everyone has some great advice wether it is ideas for exercise or a new healthy idea for a meal.

Also I know what you mean when you say it's discouraging having such a big number to lose. Set small goals that are achievable along with your big one.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    welcome-1.gif

Great to have you here Sarah:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: ...before you know it you'll be on the boards sharing lbs. lost and feeling proud like the rest of us.. it CAN BE DONE!!:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Believe you WILL succeed and you SHALL:heart: ...truly it's that simple, not always easy:noway: , but definitely simple...oh :tongue: and drink lots of water, track your cals, your excercise, post on the boards to vent, cheer others on, meet friends, and read as much as you can from folks that have gone before you. Tons of great articles on the boards and in the archives.

It's an awesome journey you're about to embark on.... glad you're here with us Sarah:bigsmile:

FC:heart:
  • jcpm98
    jcpm98 Posts: 114
    Options
    Welcome!! You can do this!! I have about 155 to lose and I used to think that I would always just be short and fat. This website and all of my new friends here are so awesome!! I lost 11 pounds in my first 4 weeks, not including the inches!! Stick with it and you will be so happy you did!

Jess
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah!

I lost over a hundred pounds 6 years ago...if I can do it, anyone can! But it will take all the self-discipline you can muster. I found that I had to exercise and watch the number of calories I ate each day - one didn't work without the other. And this site will help you track both.

I'm now trying to lose 20 pounds I put on in the past year, since going back to work full-time (darn desk jobs!) I joined my local Y and this site, and in 3 weeks I'm down 6 pounds. It'll be fun losing with you!
  • unique
    Options
    Hi, I'm Anne, and I have 30 lbs to lose at least for now. Sarah, I was a heavy teenager, but got that off and was o.k. most of my adult life. After menopause however I started piling it on and now I'm a hefty 167!

I also had surgery and chemo for breast cancer last year, so I really really have to take it off. Breast cancer recurrence is correlated with too much weight. So there, you have it!

BUT I can't take it off for one month because I am doing radiation, and once they set up their equipment they don't want your body shape changing!!!

So I'll be here watching my diet and doing my exercise but not trying to lose for one month.

Then watch me!

Sarah, I am in awe of you trying to lose 100 lbs! You can do it, too, but you know if I waver or want to eat something I shouldn't, I'll keep you in mind and it will help me!

142036.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    We are all here to support each other. You can do this. Change a few habits at a time so you don't get discouraged and before you know it the pounds will be flying off of you. Remember anytime you need help ask questions there is always someone with an answer.

:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I just know you will love this site if you don't already. I love it here so much. I find it very helpful, supportive, and very motivational. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Hi sarah, and welcome.

I started out with a lot to lose also (I'm trying for 70lbs total) and I too found it very discouraging. But the thing is if you don't just jump right in and do it, the problem will only get worse. You are definitely in the right place, MFP is a very loving and helpful environment. Feel free to ask anything of us, we are all here for you and we know you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the supportive posts! :) A lot of things I've read on these boards have been really inspirational. I looked through the before and after thread and some of those photos were amazing. Hopefully I'll be posting some "after" photos in a few months.
  • adamk0324
    Options
    cant wait to see ur after photos good luck to u
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    my daughter and I joined in January--she is 13, but we are doing this together and I am totally on top of the situation. I had 94 pounds to lose (just to get out of the overweight range), and in one month lost 17. I really have never tried before! My daughter only had 5 pounds to go to be "overweight" by BMI "standards". I think this site should have option of teenagers doing this under parental supervision. I do not --for one second--think that a web site can make someone bulemic or anorexic, and in these days of obesity---why wait until 18 to be eligible for help.

You can do this!!! Set mini goals like 8 pounds a month---those goals will get met. I walk for one hour a day to earn extra calories and that makes all the difference between feeling like a rabbit and deprived, and actually eating!!! My first goal is to get to the overweight range and then to the upper limit of "normal" So really over 100 pounds needs to be gone!!!

Last night I had 920 calories left for supper--after running and swimming--and I could not finish supper---ME- the potato queen, had one measured cup of mashed potato and HAD TO LEAVE SOME!!!!
    I NEVER would have thought I would EVER leave a lovely bit of mash on my plate--but this site teaches you to eat foods that fill you up!

123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

If you feel hungry---start reading postings and replying to them until the urge to go to the fridge passes!
  • Julie837
    Options
    Hi, I know you'll do great, and at 18 you have a great metabolism to work with. Just remember the first three weeks are the hardest, especially if you're trying to cut out snacking, but after awhile it really does get easier. Just focus on 5 percent weight loss at a time so you don't scare your self off. Good luck! J