Best Meal Prep Recipes for Weight Loss!

Hey everyone,
Comment you favorite meal prep recipes!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Whatever fits into my calorie, macro, and micro targets....
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Made some beer-can chicken on the grill. Boiled some sweet potatoes, and had some shredded cabbage with vinegar/oil dressing. The veggies are the trick to feeling super full, personally. Vit C in cabbage, Vit A in the potatoes, protein in the meat. And my husband made the chicken!
  • NanceePants11
    NanceePants11 Posts: 34 Member
    Made some beer-can chicken on the grill. Boiled some sweet potatoes, and had some shredded cabbage with vinegar/oil dressing. The veggies are the trick to feeling super full, personally. Vit C in cabbage, Vit A in the potatoes, protein in the meat. And my husband made the chicken!

That sounds amazing! I have to try it :)
  • NanceePants11
    I make chicken soup a lot. It's low cal, hearty, super easy and I don't get bored of it.

I just boil 2-3 chicken breasts in stock, pull them out and shred them, add them back into the stock with 1 or 2 x 1kg bag of mixed veggies (the cheap kind where they're all cut up into cubes), and a cup of skim milk mixed with a couple of teaspoons of corn flour and simmer until it's thickened a bit and the veg is cooked. Season with black pepper and voila.

Sounds easy and delicious! About how many servings does this usually make?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    ngarci11 wrote: »
    I make chicken soup a lot. It's low cal, hearty, super easy and I don't get bored of it.

I just boil 2-3 chicken breasts in stock, pull them out and shred them, add them back into the stock with 1 or 2 x 1kg bag of mixed veggies (the cheap kind where they're all cut up into cubes), and a cup of skim milk mixed with a couple of teaspoons of corn flour and simmer until it's thickened a bit and the veg is cooked. Season with black pepper and voila.

Depending on the size of the chicken and whether you use 1 or 2 bags of veg, anywhere between 7 and 10 decent sized serves. I freeze it in takeaway containers and have it for lunches.
  • NanceePants11
    ngarci11 wrote: »

Depending on the size of the chicken and whether you use 1 or 2 bags of veg, anywhere between 7 and 10 decent sized serves. I freeze it in takeaway containers and have it for lunches.

Thank you so much
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    This is my usual lunch. I make it in the Instant Pot now to save some time.

Ingredients:

2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (I used three)
    1 ½ cups chopped red onion
    1 ¼ cups chopped red bell pepper
    ¾ cup chicken broth
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    2 Tbsp chopped chipotle chile in adobo (I add more)
    6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 (28oz) fire roasted tomatoes
    1 (4 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
    Salt and pepper
    cilantro

Instructions
    Add everything except the cilantro in the crockpot and stir it up
    Cook on low for 6-7 hours
    Shred chicken

*All of that makes the crockpot really full. After I shred the chicken I add a lot more broth. I also add a bunch of spinach, zucchini, green beans and cauliflower and put in on high for an hour if fresh, 5 minutes if frozen. Add the cilantro.

This makes anywhere from 5 to 6 huge lunches.
  • sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2017
    I've been looking too! Not a lot out there besides chicken rice and broccoli/green beans. I also do the Chipotle chicken in the instant pot. It's really good. I just posted a recipe for pureed soup that I love to make, makes 6 servings.

I also make oatmeal ahead. I do the Hungry Girl 'growing oatmeal' method, so you use old fashioned oats and extra water. Very filling.

Anyway, following for when someone unleashes the holy Grail of meal prep.
  • BasMIOK
    BasMIOK Posts: 4 Member
    Salmon filet - 12-15 minutes in the oven at 450°. I like to season with pink Himalayan salt, dill, fresh ground black pepper and a lemon wedge on top. I prepare some brown rice by putting 2 cups water in pan bring to boil add 1 cup brown rice. Then after about 10 minutes I reduce heat to low and let simmer, careful not to remove lid so rice steams. Usually 15-20 min total cook time. Then I like to grill veggies such as zucchini, asparagus, yellow squash and maybe some onions and peppers. Season to taste. Olive oil spray if you like.. some times I switch it up instead of rice I will peel sweet potatoes and chop them up and steam them and then throw them in the mixer with a small amount of brown sugar and cinnamon and maybe add a little 2% milk. They make excellent creamed potatoes. Hope this helps!
  • BasMIOK
    Oh I almost forgot...1cup steamed brown rice, some frozen peas, some minced carrot and green onions chopped and an egg. I make Chinese fried rice with healthy ingredients and sometimes add marinated steak tips and asparagus tips too. Instead of soy sauce with it there's a product out there made with amino acids called "Bragg" liquid aminos.
  • BasMIOK
    I also love to grill steak or chicken breast on a stove top griddle I found at Williams-Sonoma. It has a cast iron surface and ridges or lines on it so it leaves grill marks. I usually season everything with either apple cider vinegar lemon and cayenne pepper (in moderation), garlic or olive oil and balsamic vinegar and an assortment of herbs. I typically google how to cook them meats poultry and fish because cook time can change by the type and quantity.
  • BasMIOK
    Whole wheat rotini, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, fresh chopped celery, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, cucumber, tomoatoes, green beans, fresh basil chiffonade, onions, salt n pepper to taste.... Wallah healthy vegetarian antipasti! Add fresh grated Pecorino Romano as a garnish.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    I usually just make a few extra servings of something and bring that for lunch. So I will boil half a dozen eggs and have 3 or 4 servings of egg salad (eggs, mayo, lots of mustard) or chicken (canned or boiled chicken and ranch dressing) and have 3 or 4 servings of chicken salad. Soup is pretty easy to make extra of without a bunch of extra work. Sometimes I make a bunch or a protein (chicken in the slow cooker with salsa or beef with taco seasoning) and take salads for lunch. I don't usually "meal prep" because I typically make lunch and breakfast at the same time. I have made quiche in the past; find a crust recipe you are comfortable with, eggs, milk or cream, veggies, cheese, leftover protein, bake until set, cut and refrigerate. Anything you like to make for dinner can become a meal prep option for lunch, especially if you have a fridge/microwave at work.
  • NanceePants11
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I do a lot of meal prep, but my fave is chicken burrito bowls.

I use the following recipes:

Rice - http://www.skinnytaste.com/chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice-4-pts/
    Corn Salsa (I also add cumin to this recipe) - http://www.skinnytaste.com/corn-salsa-with-lime/
    Chicken - Take the first six ingredients and whirr them together in a blender or food processor. Pour into a gallon ziploc bag, add chicken, mush it all together to marinate. I let mine marinate for at least 4 hours, but I have done overnight or 8 hours, with no problems. Then just grill the chicken and cut into pieces! I use the below recipe for 10 servings.

1 fruit, Lime Juice - 1 Fruit
    0.25 cup, Oil - Olive
    1 tbsp, Tomato Paste
    1 container (6 tbsp ea.), Taco Seasoning
    0.25 container (12 tbsp. (32g) ea.), Adobo Chipotle Peppers
    1 cup water
    2.50 lb(s), Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

Then I just add some sour cream and 1 oz. Monterey Jack cheese. Photo has the bowl with chicken and rice, small ball jars with salsa and ziploc baggies with cheese:
    aglqqwaib02q.jpg

Nice!!! That looks good! Do you have any problems with the chicken becoming dry after being stored?
  • NanceePants11
    anaxmann wrote: »
    I usually just make a few extra servings of something and bring that for lunch. So I will boil half a dozen eggs and have 3 or 4 servings of egg salad (eggs, mayo, lots of mustard) or chicken (canned or boiled chicken and ranch dressing) and have 3 or 4 servings of chicken salad. Soup is pretty easy to make extra of without a bunch of extra work. Sometimes I make a bunch or a protein (chicken in the slow cooker with salsa or beef with taco seasoning) and take salads for lunch. I don't usually "meal prep" because I typically make lunch and breakfast at the same time. I have made quiche in the past; find a crust recipe you are comfortable with, eggs, milk or cream, veggies, cheese, leftover protein, bake until set, cut and refrigerate. Anything you like to make for dinner can become a meal prep option for lunch, especially if you have a fridge/microwave at work.

Hi! I usually meal prep but when I don't have time I get side tracked. I think I'll do meal prep one week and do something like this the next! Thank you :)
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    My go to is chicken burritos. I put 2lbs of chicken breasts in a crock pot with a packet of chicken taco seasoning and half a cup of salsa. About 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. I then shred it up, and cook for another half an hour. I put in on whole wheat tortillas with a bit of refried beans and cheese, wrap it in a paper towel and then dump them into freezer bags. Then whenever I need something quick to make, I can take it out and nuke it in the paper towel. I usually do it on "express defrost" until cooked.

Another good one is a quinoa and chickpea bowl. I get a bag of frozen quinoa and kale, cook it and add some sundried tomatoes in oil, herbed feta cheese crumbles, salt and pepper, and couple squirts lemon juice,and a can of drained chickpeas. It's best eaten cold and lasts a few days in the fridge.

I also found a great and tasty "egg roll in a bowl" recipe here, which is also fabulous as leftovers. http://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2015/08/24/sausage-egg-roll-in-a-bowl/
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Slow cooker cilantro lime chicken. I usually eat it with half a whole wheat tortilla, but can eat it by itself. It's delicious and easy to plan with because you can make a whole batch to prep with