Why did it take me so long to figure it out (Weight Watchers)

Options
KM0692
KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been going back and forth between WW and calorie counting since the beginning of the year, unable to decide which is the better program for me. Well, last night I finally figured it out. There is NO way that Weight Watchers would work for me long term.

Calorie counting is so much simpler, and it's sustainable. I had been thinking in the short-term, not the long-term. I need to learn portion control, and yes, Weight Watchers teaches you this, but they are just too restrictive when it comes to treats. Do I really want to go to a birthday party and not be able to eat a slice of cake because it's almost my entire day's worth of points? No, I want to be able to work that cake into my day and with calorie counting, it is so much easier to do so!

I have NO idea why it took me this long to "see the light"! I cancelled my WW account tonight.

Replies

• bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I was a fan of Slimming World but never joined, just followed the program. It worked but I got stuck in a rut of eating certain foods which were "free" but were not particularly tasty. It took a lot of effort to get with the CICO way of thinking. I just thought I didn't have the time. Actually I do and now I'm not restricted by the notion of free food or syns which is so much better. Now, looking at calorie contents, it's difficult to work out why certain foods are syns and others aren't at times. Adding a Fitbit into the CICO approach sealed the deal for me. I find it so easy to go with the calories that automatically update and for me the numbers seem to work so if I stick to what MFP says I lose...easy with a bit of will power thrown in.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The mystery to me is the people that pay for WW, but do online only. I understand the value of the social components of the meetings, but not how a paid app is better than a free one (other than massive brand recognition and advertising, of course).

I considered doing it in person, but in the end, did the Diet Bet thing (which I know also mystifies many people here, as it wouldn't motivate them).
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I understand WW works for some, but I always remember that they exist to make a profit (good on them - have no issue with that). In order for them to be successful, they need to have people involved in all the other stuff. So while the basis of their weight loss program is ultimately a deficit, it is in their best interest to not really focus on that as much as on the other things that keep their customers involved. The best reason I can think of for them to have a (perhaps) less successful version, but one that keeps enough customers coming, is to consistently improve change things and to market their program differently. They certainly have enough success stories (and I think many are the real deal) to continue to sell their program.

Like many others, if they can sell a system that seems easier for people to follow than counting calories (which is always sold as being difficult), then they are guaranteed to attract customers.