Calorie intake

Options
Is it best to eat your whole calorie intake?
Today I've only had half the amount of calories this has said I should have?!

Replies

• kyliemarie24
    kyliemarie24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    At the moment my calories 2,400 I've only had half that.
    I've weighed/measured some but not all. X
  • RDahling
    RDahling Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat less than my daily recommendation, but I'm looking to lose weight, not recomp at this point.

If your goal is to lose weight, eating less than the recommended amount is how you do it. MFP calculates out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and recommends a certain amount of calories per day based on that and your goals. If you're doing less, you lose weight faster, but you should stick to within the advised "safe" weekly limits of 2-3 lbs of weight loss (or a net loss of 7000 - 10 500 kcal weekly).
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Those are my maintenance calories so I would be okay with not eating all of them but depending on your goals that may be a good or bad thing. What are you trying to do? Lose or gain?
  • kyliemarie24
    Options
    My goal is defiantly to lose weight, I have a lot to lose.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My goal is defiantly to lose weight, I have a lot to lose.

Do you know what your BMR is? How tall/old/active/heavy are you?
  • kyliemarie24
    Options
    Have no idea what my BMR is how would I find out? I'm 5'6 28yrs, I've got about 7 stone to lose. Not very active, usually Aqua aerobics once a week & a swim/gym. Trying to be more active
  • kyliemarie24
    Options
    I set my goals to lose 1lb a week.
  • kyliemarie24
    Options
    So for instance today I've only used 1,500. Is this ok or should I be trying to eat nearer the 2,400? Sorry I've never calorie counted before. Thank you
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'd probably try to get closer to 2000, with 100 lbs to lose. I'd also encourage you to get a food scale. Some things are just what they say on the package and others vary a lot. For example, I opened a can of soup that said 2 servings. When I weighed out the soup, it was really closer to 1 1/2 servings. I don't like to deprive myself. On the other hand, most of the slices of bread in my loaf of bread are about 1 1/4 servings of what the package says.