Can weightloss trigger allergies? Or can it cause you to become itchy?

Options
Lost around 22lbs in the last 2 months. For the past 3 or 4 days I have been super super itchy. It started with my ears hot and feeling swollen and then that night moved on to all over my body. Mostly my stomach, thighs, legs, arms and back. I am debating if it is the on set of a gluten allergy or can it possibly be the weight loss causing this itchiness? There have been a couple small areas on my forearms with hives but they dissappeared quickly. I did eat white hamburger buns this past weekend and think it could possibly be the white bread causing this. Is it true weight loss can make you itchy though? Comments are very much appreciated! :)

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Are hamburger buns really the only gluten you've had? Allergies don't care about white vs. whole grain. It's also pollen season. I've developed allergies later in my life that are awful - elm pollen, specifically, for me. Never bugged me until I was about 30.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I would think the fact that it is May/Spring is much more likely. A gluten allergy is likely to manifest as stomach pain etc, I believe celiac is actually autoimmune so there would be lots of symptoms and it would not be sudden onset as you described.
    You probably got a bug bite or are having a reaction to something. Have you tried Benadryl or any other medication?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you are eating any food that you weren't eating before it could be a food allergy. I've never heard of bread causing that type of reaction but hives aren't uncommon with some food allergies. My cousin used to get them when she ate chocolate.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If part of your weight loss includes exercise - maybe walking or running outside more than you did previously - then it's probably because of pollen season. I've had the exact symptoms you mention - hives and redness on my arms, and itchiness. For me, it was from walking/jogging outside so much. I've had allergies my whole life but this year has been the worst and I think it's just from extra time outside.

IMO if it were food allergies, you'd at least have some gastric symptoms or more of the itchiness in your throat, but that's just my assumption. If it's pollen/seasonal/nature type allergies, I recommend claratin/zyrtec everyday, a benadryl at times where it's exceptionally bad, and Aveno (or other brand) has anti itch, calamine type lotion that really helps for immediate relief on spots that are especially bad.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that seasonal allergies are the most likely culprit. Their symptoms aren't only sniffy and sneezing.
  • tashawiseman65
    tashawiseman65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I haven't been bothered by this ever before. After discussing diffrent possibilities with coworkers, friends and family, I just wanted to see the opinions from others who are likely to help me narrow down an answer. Some people have said gluten, some people have said weightloss and pollen seems the most likely culprit. While suffering I thought I'd throw it out on MFP. I was especially interested to see if there were others who may have caused triggers to certain things by changing how they eat and live. I have now taken Benadryl and it seems to be subsiding.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Have you been drinking any supplement drinks or supplements themselves? You'd be shocked at what can actually be in them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I went through a really bad time a few years ago - I ate very little and ended up incredibly itchy (to a point that I'd scratched my back raw).

Once the bad patch passed and I ate a balanced diet again, the itchiness vanished.

This is purely anecdotal of course, but my issues were down to a very poor diet.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't think losing weight can cause new allergies to form, but it does sound like an allergic reaction of some sort. I'd ask yourself a few things to figure out what the culprit is: Have you eaten anything recently that's different from what you normally eat? Have you been using a different soap/shampoo/lotion/perfume/laundry detergent/etc.? Have you been outside more than usual (more contact with pollen), or have you sat/laid in any grassy areas or been in an outdoor area you're not usually in? Heat also gives me hives, and pretty quickly if I'm not wearing sunscreen, as well as certain bug bites. Based on it being all over your body but concentrated in certain areas, my first guess would be either exposure to some sort of pollen/grass, or something along the lines of a soap/laundry detergent allergy. I'm not an expert by any means- just suggesting this based on my own experiences (I have a TON of allergies to all sorts of things). In any case, I hope you find some relief! Glad to hear the benedryl is helping- oatmeal baths and aloe vera may help as well (I take a piece of the plant and rub the goopy part on the affected area the way I would a lotion).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was in a high stress job I developed an almond allergy out of the blue. I found the culprit through trial and error. My allergy shows through hives like yours.
  • 30missa
    30missa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    22lbs in 2 months is a lot. Can I ask how you did it? It's probably best to speak to your doctor about the itching. It could be an allergy or something else. Get your doctor to check your blood and liver function.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you used a pre work out?

I'm thinking beta alanine might be a culprit.
  • tashawiseman65
    tashawiseman65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No prework out supplements. Just magnesium capsules. And 22 lbs is alot. But I weighed myself initially at the doctors office with boots and a sweater on. So... even though I probably didn't weigh exactly that much, it was enough to make me want to lose weight for the first time in my life. I ate at a pretty high deficit of 1200 for the first month and once I bought my fitbit I upped my calorie intake to trying to eat 1000 less then calories burned that day. Still working my way up in calories to see how much I can eat while still losing weight. I am also breastfeeding and I have a pretty active job, so that helps too. I have been very stressed the last 2 weeks so that could be a trigger. I have been eating very little some days and have thought that could be a contributing factor. If this persists a doctors appointment is very imminent.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add- allergies of any sort can develop at any time. But it's best to see your doctor. They can help you figure out the cause, and rashes can happen with airborne, food, and contact allergies. But it's better to figure out what it is, and then deal with it. It's not good to just eliminate random stuff.

Another reason entirely could be if the weather has dried out and warmed up.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding and I have a pretty active job, so that helps too. I have been very stressed the last 2 weeks so that could be a trigger. I have been eating very little some days and have thought that could be a contributing factor.

Between very low net calories as evidenced by your weight loss, stress, and the very low eating days your describe, the thought crosses one's mind that your milk supply may become affected. Depending on the age of your baby this may or may not be of some concern. Higher net calories would slow down weight loss but would reduce such risk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Are gypsy moths an issue in your area? When they are just hatching, the little tiny caterpillars get blown around, land on your skin, you don't even notice them, and hours later you're a miserable itchy mess from their tiny toxic hairs.

The only thing that worked for me was hot water - all the topicals I tried, including a steroid, were ineffective, and all the Benedryl did was put me to sleep.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/gypsy-moth-caterpillars-causing-more-than-just-an-eyesore-this-spring/523347833
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    No prework out supplements. Just magnesium capsules. And 22 lbs is alot. But I weighed myself initially at the doctors office with boots and a sweater on. So... even though I probably didn't weigh exactly that much, it was enough to make me want to lose weight for the first time in my life. I ate at a pretty high deficit of 1200 for the first month and once I bought my fitbit I upped my calorie intake to trying to eat 1000 less then calories burned that day. Still working my way up in calories to see how much I can eat while still losing weight. I am also breastfeeding and I have a pretty active job, so that helps too. I have been very stressed the last 2 weeks so that could be a trigger. I have been eating very little some days and have thought that could be a contributing factor. If this persists a doctors appointment is very imminent.

Please do slow down your weight loss. You've got too much going on for a drastic deficit to be sustainable.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    After the birth of my second child, I developed exercise induced urticaria which is a nice way to say that my own sweat makes me break out in hives. My doctor believes I developed an allergy to the salts in my sweat during pregnancy.
    Weightloss can cause allergic reactions. Tons of environmental toxins are stored in body fat, and as you lose weight they are released into your body. Weightloss usually is such a slow process that your liver can process the toxins before they cause issues, but if you lose weight too fast, you can overwhelm your liver (I'd assume there would be other symptoms as well though). Please reconsider your plan--merely for the fact that you are nursing. Nursing burns a ton of calories on its own...
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It could also be heat rash. Sweat and/or humidity will cause a breakout.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking any new teas or shakes? I'm allergic to practically everything outside and food I am allergic to a common shake because it has some herb things in it also allergic to random teas and supplements.