Giving up cane sugar

Options

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't say if your goal is to cut down on overall added sugars in your diet, or if you're focusing specifically on white cane sugar for a particular reason. As someone else pointed out, white sugar is no different from eating blue agave, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar and other forms of sugar. I personally believe that reducing the amount of added sugars you eat (which are sugars that don't naturally occur in food, such as fruit) is a good idea. But there is so much of it added to nearly anything packaged (bread, soup, sauces, the list is endless) that it's extremely hard. And in my opinion not necessary to try to eliminate completely, unless you have a health issue that necessitates it.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    A bit confused here. Sugar is sugar regardless if it's cane sugar, beet sugar, sugar from fruit, etc. Figure out your reason to give up sugar (mine is to be a bit healthier and stave off Type II diabetes that runs in the family) and then make your meal plans around it. I try to limit my sugar to 35g per day and most often come in at about 20. That leaves no room for a piece of fruit - which I indulge in once to twice per week. Once you know YOUR why - you'll be able to adjust with (relative) ease.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    A bit confused here. Sugar is sugar regardless if it's cane sugar, beet sugar, sugar from fruit, etc. Figure out your reason to give up sugar (mine is to be a bit healthier and stave off Type II diabetes that runs in the family) and then make your meal plans around it. I try to limit my sugar to 35g per day and most often come in at about 20. That leaves no room for a piece of fruit - which I indulge in once to twice per week. Once you know YOUR why - you'll be able to adjust with (relative) ease.

I don't see why you'd be confused. Sugar is not all the same even if it's removed from it's source and eaten alone. There are differences in types of sugar (that's why they have different names). But the real issue is that they are not eaten in isolation. Sugar from fruit is eaten as part of the fruit. It's not added sugar.

Also, the OP gave the reasons she wants to give it up. She's trying to break the cycle of binge eating things made with white sugar.
  • lynn6241
    lynn6241 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I cut out added sugar, (sweets) about 6 weeks ago because if I even have a little I tend to bing, and have horrible cravings. It is interesting however that as I've been away from it I don't have any cravings at all. I do eat 3/4 servings of fruit a day, and that does satisfy me. I understand the cravings, but for me the only way to get away from them is to stop the added sugar completely.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lynn6241 wrote: »
    I cut out added sugar, (sweets) about 6 weeks ago because if I even have a little I tend to bing, and have horrible cravings. It is interesting however that as I've been away from it I don't have any cravings at all. I do eat 3/4 servings of fruit a day, and that does satisfy me. I understand the cravings, but for me the only way to get away from them is to stop the added sugar completely.

This story is as common as those who insist people not deprive themselves. People are different.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    There was just a thread yesterday about someone who ate like 500 calories of oranges a day. Lets not pretend everyone is just shoveling cake in their face for every meal. ...
    Eating 500 calories from oranges is fairly unusual, but I wouldn't say it's a problem - at least as far as weight loss or weight control. Some people pointed out that the acid might be bad for that person's teeth, and that the person might be neglecting other healthy foods. But from a weight loss/weight control standpoint, it's almost impossible to eat so many oranges that you gain weight. The same is true for grapes, which someone else mentioned, or most other fruits. (Fruit juices or dried fruits are more concentrated, and it is possible to gain weight on those.)

On the other hand, cake is extremely calorie-dense and not particularly filling. People can and commonly do eat far more than 500 calories per day from cake, and aren't even full afterwards. And eating several servings of cake, cookies, pastries, etc. per day is very common.

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Kghaines wrote: »
    Has anyone else made the leap to a white sugar-less lifestyle? What can I expect and how can I overcome cravings? I have been trying to but my weak willpower is holding me back...I'm replacing the sugar with fruit, but binge when I get the chance. :(
    I eat hardly any added sugar, and I don't really miss it. You might consider starting off with a low-glycemic diet, to help get past the initial cravings. People sometimes do experience a kind of "withdrawal" at first, for a few days. But after that the main challenge is logistical - finding foods you like that also don't have added sugar. The adjustment can be difficult at first, but once you're past that, it's not hard.

The DASH diet and South Beach Diet are two well-known low-glycemic diets. (You can find free information on both of those online.)
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Who eats straight white sugar anyway?

On fresh bread with loads of butter... sugar sandwich! Delish! :bigsmile:

OMG - I just had a childhood flashback!
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    veganj1 wrote: »
    I cut out most sugar (no not the sugar in fruits and what not) about a year ago. I'll eat a sweet every now and then but very limited. Over the winter I got into a habit of doing it a little more than I'd like but it never got too excessive. Now I'm back to it being almost void from my diet.

Sugar is addictive and you just have to fight the urge for a little while and you'll lose the urge. At least that's how it was for me, after two weeks I didn't crave sugar at all really.

You have obviously never met an addict. There is no 12 step program or daily meetings for sugar eaters anonymous. I don't know anyone who stole, or got fired because of sugar.

You like tastey food. For some people that's a salt craving, for others that's a sugar craving.

You obviously don't know about the 12 Step Programs called GSA (Greysheeters Anonymous) and FAA (Food Addicts Anonymous) that require complete abstinence from all added sugar which is considered addictive for the people who choose to enter and work these programs.

I know scores of people who have stolen food for the purpose of binging - specifically dessert foods full of sugar. They stole from both their workplaces and shared living arrangements and have found themselves fired and/or evicted for that reason.

So before you think of yourself as an expert on what's obvious, some things that are obvious to some aren't always obvious to others.

As lemurcat frequently points out in these types of threads-those sugary dessert foods are also usually full of fat. So why is it the sugar that's the 'addicting' ingredient and not the fat? I have Reeses' Filled Muffins sitting on my counter right now-one muffin has 450 calories, 37g of sugar and 24g of fat. Or 18% of the daily recommended carb intake and 37% of the daily recommended fat intake. I always find it curious that sugar is labeled the bad guy, but fat gets a free pass-usually by people who do some version of low carb.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It is in almost every processed or packaged food you buy, so even if you give up the sugar bowl at the table, you are still getting some in your diet.

No it is not. Maybe if you mean "carbs." It is not that difficult to avoid added sugar if one really wants to.

Whether it is important to do is another issue. Even focusing on the temptations such as newmeadow bring up, a little added sugar in, I dunno, some sriracha is unlikely to be perceived the same way as a cookie such that one needs to cut it all out.

I'm a weirdo, so I did, as an experiment, and am all for anyone else also trying it. I found it valuable and interesting, although part of the interest was it turned out to not be that big a deal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    veganj1 wrote: »
    I cut out most sugar (no not the sugar in fruits and what not) about a year ago. I'll eat a sweet every now and then but very limited. Over the winter I got into a habit of doing it a little more than I'd like but it never got too excessive. Now I'm back to it being almost void from my diet.

Sugar is addictive and you just have to fight the urge for a little while and you'll lose the urge. At least that's how it was for me, after two weeks I didn't crave sugar at all really.

You have obviously never met an addict. There is no 12 step program or daily meetings for sugar eaters anonymous. I don't know anyone who stole, or got fired because of sugar.

You like tastey food. For some people that's a salt craving, for others that's a sugar craving.

You obviously don't know about the 12 Step Programs called GSA (Greysheeters Anonymous) and FAA (Food Addicts Anonymous) that require complete abstinence from all added sugar which is considered addictive for the people who choose to enter and work these programs.

I know scores of people who have stolen food for the purpose of binging - specifically dessert foods full of sugar. They stole from both their workplaces and shared living arrangements and have found themselves fired and/or evicted for that reason.

So before you think of yourself as an expert on what's obvious, some things that are obvious to some aren't always obvious to others.

As lemurcat frequently points out in these types of threads-those sugary dessert foods are also usually full of fat. So why is it the sugar that's the 'addicting' ingredient and not the fat? I have Reeses' Filled Muffins sitting on my counter right now-one muffin has 450 calories, 37g of sugar and 24g of fat. Or 18% of the daily recommended carb intake and 37% of the daily recommended fat intake. I always find it curious that sugar is labeled the bad guy, but fat gets a free pass-usually by people who do some version of low carb.

The programs I listed don't ask adherents to abstain from fat. Fat is used in measured quantity in cooking or for dressing on a salad, so it's not a free pass. Cotton candy is pure spun sugar and lots of people could gorge on it. Huge, lovely, colorful clouds of it. We'll skip the ferris wheel and the merry-go-round! Let's just sit at this table and eat multiple blobs of cotton candy! Yes! It's a thing.

I'd way rather (and be more likely to) gorge myself on steak or cheese than cotton candy. I've always found cotton candy disgusting. [edit: heh, cross posted with ndj]

But that aside, I think OP may have reasons to cut added sugar -- I did, or thought I did, and have not been sorry I experimented with it at all. She also may find that IF she is struggling with bingeing and cutting sugar makes it worse that it's not a good idea for her. Some people tend to want things more if they put them off limits and also tend to react to a slip-up by deciding it's the last time, so might as well go all out, and then feeling such shame and self-hatred that they perpetuate the cycle. I don't know this is OP, but it is a real thing worth bringing up even though for me experimenting with cutting out added sugar was a positive thing.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Dietry recommended intakes of sugar are 25 grams of added sugar. This excludes sugar found naturally in fruit, vegetables and dairy etc.

We seems to have a number of groups of people with sugar

× Those that follow these recommendations give or take
    × Those that go to 25 grams or less for all sugar and don't even eat fruit because they deem it unhealthy
    × Those that don't bother monitering their sugar intake at all with the stance of 'as long as it fits into my calories'

Which group you fit into depends on your goals and what you consider healthy. It depends upon what you can stick with long term.

If limiting sugar fits into your goals and lifestyle then don't worry about what others say. They do so to justify their own stance. I'd recommend cutting back slowly. Gradually reduce the sugar you are having a day until you reach the amount you feel comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.