Gaining weight after miscarriage

Options
After my unfortunate miscarriage about a month ago I've started gaining weight rapidly. I have not changed my eating pattern and I usually don't gain weight this fast.
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Replies

• sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear :(
    Have you had recent testing since then? Sounds like something is off with hormones most likely. Thyroid levels could have changed..
  • missvyris
    missvyris Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear :(
    Have you had recent testing since then? Sounds like something is off with hormones most likely. Thyroid levels could have changed..

I haven't been to the hospital since. Thanks for the reply, I will definitely ask my doctor about it!
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @missvyris, I've been there...and it took a while for hormones to get back to 'normal'. You should be having a follow-up with your doctor soon, yes no? If no, please make an appointment. Please be kind to you, have patience with your body and yourself. I agree with @sammyjo0218 that you should have your thyroid checked...as shortly after my miscarriage, my thyroid went permanently wonky (but I was an older, high-risk pregnancy, so eh, go fig.) (((Hugs))) and peace to you.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I rapidly gained 9 pounds after mine. I don't know why. I didn't lose it because I got pregnant again. I didn't feel pregnant until after the baby was gone (felt so cruel) so I think maybe eating to keep nausea at Bay. Or perhaps just crazy hormones.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yes, I experienced this also.... I gained right afterwards, but I then lost it just as quickly. I presume that it was water retention due to hormones? Hugs to you
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had a 2nd term miscarriage a couple years ago, I'm sorry to hear about yours. I gained afterwards, but it went away fairly quickly. My miscarriage required I have emergency surgery because I hemorrhaged, doctor said this sometimes causes the body confusion and you will actually still produce additional blood and retain water until hormone levels go back to normal and your body realizes it's not pregnant anymore. I agree with other posters, definitely schedule a follow up appointment.