Running Shoe Suggestions

Options
I am just starting the Couch to 5K program and it is time to get new shoes. Does anyone have any suggestions for good shoes that won't break the bank? And do I focus on a running shoe or a walking shoe?

Replies

• CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    ones that fit, so...get fitted by a pro...make sure you can take them back if they do not fit. Road Runner Sports gives you a 60 day loe them or leave them return policy. See if your store does the same.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend going to a running store (we have Up and Running and Runner's Plus around here) and having them fit you for a running shoe. Mine cost $95 and they fit so perfectly and comfortably! Before I was just running in walking shoes and now I can tell they were so heavy and suffocating to my feet. And I didn't notice it until after, but the walking shoes were actually making my hip hurt. I haven't had a single issue since!
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am on week two day two of c25k. I went to a running shop and got fitted ... they look at how you run and figure out what shoes you need, as well as making sure the fit is great. (http://www.fleetfeethartford.com)

I ended up with Nike Pegasus, which I understand are a good shoe with a great reputation, and not at the expensive end of the spectrum.

Also try reading on http://www.runnersworld.com.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Baker0821
    Baker0821 Posts: 40
    Options
    If you have a store near you like a Trak Shak, Fleet Feet or some other specialty store, they can watch you walk and fit your foot to the shoes that fit you best. That is what I would recommend! :smile: I ended up in a pair of Brooks and I :heart: them! They are so comfy! They did cost about 100.00 though.
  • dikent
    dikent Posts: 24
    Options
    Go to a running store and get properly fitted. It will be the best money you will ever spend on yourself. (usually the fitting is free...you are just paying for the sneaker). That being said, I am in a pair of New Balance. Since being fitted I have not had any issues with shin splints or foot issues.
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    I do distance (marathon length) walking and was told to get running shoes. A lot of the shoe decision depends on your feet. I would go to a good shoe store and tell them what you are doing. The right socks are also very important. I have used up 4 pair of asics gel nimbus and kayano. They are my favorite. Good luck.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    personally comfey and cheap!

i go through trainers every 2/3 months..but i lso go speed walking 99% of days too!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Make sure they are running shoes :) Asics are great running shoes....I went and got fitted at a proper store and then went to Famous Footwear and bought the same shoes that was fitted for, for about 1/2 the cost. You can go get fitted at a sports store and then shop around. In Canda shoes are so expensive so i was lucky and went to the US. What would have cost me 200 bucks here only cost me 89 in the US. Shop around but get fitted first!
  • ki4idb
    ki4idb Posts: 114
    Options
    I just finished my very first 5 K .... my wife and I both did it. What a great goal and we both lost of 30 lbs on our journey from the couch.

Every foot is different and know can send you an email and tell you what shoe to buy. My advice would be to do what we did. We went to a local running store and had our foot fitted for a good quality shoe.

I think I paid about $120 for my wifes shoes and around $105 for me.

It was well worth the money. When we started we just went to a shoe store bought shoes and took off down the road. The shoes were all wrong and we almost hurt ourselves. Please dont skimp on shoes because it will cost you more later.

Now get off the couch and hit the street.

Friend me if you like!
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes. Definitely go to a running store. Especially since you are a beginning runner. Most running shoes are under $100 (which is still expensive for me!), but it will cost a lot more in doctor's bills and/or patience if you hurt yourself because you had the wrong shoe.
  • arykh24
    arykh24 Posts: 64
    Options
    I didn't go to a running store to be fitted. I tried on various brands of shoes and found that Asics are AWESOME!!
  • icsracer
    icsracer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you go to a good running store, they should have a way to analyze your stride and put you in the correct shoe. Not all models are constructed the same. You should get the correct one fitted for you. I know that you may pay a little more than you like (about $80 -$120) for a good pair, but it can potentially save you a lot of money in doctor bills down the road. Shoes are one of those things is life you should always spoil yourself and get quality. I hope this helps. Here is a good article that will explain what they are looking at when you go to the running store.

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-240-319-0-0,00.html
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a Gait analysis done.

I had mine done last October, and was fitted for running shoes afterwards. My old ones were completely wrong for me!!! I used to get tired legs and shin splints, now I have no problems at all.

I opted for Mizuno shoes and they cost me £75, but it's the best money I've ever spent!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K and can tell you that your shoes are soooo important!! You need a running shoe for sure.
    If you can't go to a special running store, do some research online to see what kind of foot you have. Here's a link: http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html.
    I wear by my Asics, I love them!! I'm about to get myself a new pair too. I'm getting the GEL-Frantic 6 Running Shoes. Awesome (and adorable!)
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I also agree with going to the running shoe store to be evaluated.

But I would never get fitted and buy elsewhere the first time. That's rude. Buy the shoes that work best for you; if there are problems they will let you exchange them. After that first pair, though, feel free to get the same shoe on ebay or at another store.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    hi there

here's my opinion ( 6 yrs working ifor a women's nike store and triathlon store )..you can walk in a running shoe but should never run in a walking shoe, they are just built different

as for brands: there is no hard and fast answer...like i said i worked for nike but i love running in either saucony or new balance cause i have a wide foot...have your gait looked at....do you high arches or flat feet...is you foot narrow or wide...consider the shoe an investment and try not to be super focused on the price...two shoes ago by saucony were 129.00 and then my last pair were on sale for 49.99..luck of the draw

if you go to a large sports store ( better prices ) or even small running specific store ( more knowledgeable staff ) they often have a treadmill in house...try it and also ask about the refund policy ( many places will let you return then as long as you stay indoors ) this is great so you can wander around you house for a hour and make sure they are right

lastly..you should never have to break a shoe in..if it pinches ot pokes in under a minute..its going to drive you bonkers after 30-40 mins

hope this helps
  • xcbballuver
    xcbballuver Posts: 186
    Options
    dont get new balance if u care about hwo fast you run. it weighs more than brooks or other brands. get brooks,asics, or saucony. those r good brands
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    dont get new balance if u care about hwo fast you run. it weighs more than brooks or other brands. get brooks,asics, or saucony. those r good brands

I see what you are saying, but for c25k, 1 or 3 ounces doesn't make a difference for me. My soccer cleats are 11 oz. because I wanted leather protection, rather than a thin 7 oz. synthetic ... that doesn't really affect my performance. Similarly, 11 oz. versus 9oz. running shoes really won't affect your times ... think of it this way: the extra 2 oz. will make you work harder and help you lose weight faster. Hehe. Big grins,

Sean
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. It looks like my next step is to find a running type store in the area. Or at least within and hour or so drive, we have nothing here.

I was glad to hear that I will probably be paying what I was expecting and not too much more.