Help!!! Ideas needed for a low fat dinner party meal ?

Options
Hi all

Its my boyfriends birthday this weekend, and I am planning on cooking a really romantic 3 course meal for him.

I've been dieting so hard to lose weight, and managed 14lbs already, so I dont want to spoil it by scoffing this weekend.

Does anyone have any ideas on courses that I can make and taste yummy, look like i've made an effort, but are low fat, but not too diet looking. My boyfriend is a steak lover, but he eats that all the time, and he defintely doesnt need to lose weight.

We never get to eat together due to conflicting work shifts, so this is a really special occassion for us !!

I was thinking something along the lines of :

Starter : thai prawn crackers (i can put these in a bowl for him, but I will not eat them) ??

Main: chicken & king prawns in a green thai curry sauce (cooked with low fat coconut milk??) ? served with noodles ?

Dessert : fresh strawberries and melted chocolate (i've got one of those mini fountain things) ?

Any tips / ideas welcome..

Kelly xxx (not a very good cook)

Replies

• mommyfirst77
    mommyfirst77 Posts: 119
    Options
    Go to skinnytaste.com ........ GREAT WEBSITE!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Go to skinnytaste.com ........ GREAT WEBSITE!

I second this!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you want to approach this. If it were me and it's that special of an occasion, I wouldn't be so conscious about what I'm eating. Splurge a little and let yourself enjoy the evening. Cook something that you both will enjoy. Also, I personally would skip dessert as I'm not a big dessert eater and use those calories for something else. If you're a sweet fan, then disregard that advice, lol!

So, that being said, I would do a salad as a starter. You can use fresh spinach leaves, some olives, a bit of feta, and a homemade greek dressing. Greek dressing can be quite low calorie and feta is very low fat. If you're pressed, try a fat free italian dressing. You sound British, so you may not have it there, but Wishbone makes a fat free italian with no corn syrup and 5 calories or something ridiculous per serving.

For main, tons of different ways you can go but you've got the right idea with seafood. Here's a few ideas (and this website is great for low calorie options):
    Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/pineapple-shrimp-fried-rice.html
    Shrimp in a sweet chili sauce: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/bangin-good-shrimp.html
    Shrimp Creole: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/shrimp-creole.html (I've made this with added spice and it was bloody fantastic)

Anyway, enjoy your evening!! Just remember to do that :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Maybe add a salad course, some veggies to go with the main course, and you could always do a starter of artichoke or something. The more veggies you add the better the plate will look and more that you can eat. :)

Sounds like a wonderful bday celebration.

Have fun.
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That menu sounds great. You could do whole wheat noodles or brown rice -- just make sure to measure out your portions (especially of the noodles or rice). Plus, bulk it up w/ veggies! Maybe Broccoli, snap peas, asparagus or squash/zucchini -- all those go well w/ the thai-ish menu. Good luck and have fun!
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't cook thai food, so I was thinking something basic like:

marinated grilled chicken and zucchini (I usually marrinate and grill separate with soy sauce, canola oil, garlic and seasoning of choice).

salad (you can use reduced fat or fat free)

fruit tart for dessert:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/FruitTart.html

But it really depends on what you guys both like.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi, sounds like you have a great night instore, Im not a fan of prawn crackers - and do you want to sit and not eat any starter? (up to you). I like:

Starter: brushetta. I use sliced low fat garlic bread and cook with a chopped tomato on top and add fresh salsa and lots of rocket. I have only once peice garlic bread slice (100 cal slice) and OH has 2/3. I just have lots extra cherry toms and rocket.

or

Prawn cocktail (sounds old fashioned but I love it), with low fat mayo, lots cherry toms and lettuce.

Like the sound of chicken and prawns thai curry (Ive never made it with out a jar of sauce!). Maybe serve with noodles and lots of veg stirfry? and you can load up on the veg?

Dessert sounds good. Just have plenty of strawberries and not too much chocolate.

xx
  • LindaNiazi
    Options
    Just make smart replacements

Keep a nice plate loaded with veggies and hummus to munch on while you wait for dinner.

Starter: Shrimp Soup http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tom-yum-goong-spicy-thai-shrimp-soup-10000001696606/
    or
    Fresh Spring Rolls http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-spring-rolls-with-dipping-sauce-10000000604766/

Main Course: In Thailand people eat mostly fish, chicken, pork and veggies but here is a recipe for thai beef Thai Braised Beef with Coconut Milk and Ginger

Desert: use high quality chocolate (look at the ingredients to make sure it has 6 ingredients or less) and don't dip as much as your BF.

Not only do men have higher metabolism, but they don't eat as often as we do. A fun study shows that our genetic makeup forces us to hunt down foods we crave to make our bodies hospitable for baby making!

Ever notice your guy will give up a craving to enjoy the rest of a show, but we get up on commercial breaks to find food. Just keep this in mind next time you get a craving. Yeah, it's fun being a woman!
  • emmaclement
    emmaclement Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    starter - french onion soup / salad / seafood cocktail / mussles in garlic sauce

main - salmon / tuna - with new potaoes &salad / turkey steaks piri piri style with rice / veggie lasagne /

dessert - merangue with fresh fruit / sorbet / jelly
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    That is hard, while i agree with splurging a little, i totally get you on not wanting to mess up the good progress you've made so far. I agree with those that mentioned a soup or salad starter, just to get you a little filled up (even if you eat it on your own a short while before dinner). I think your meai sounds yum, though if you are anything like me, controlling portions would be difficult, i might oust the prawn crackers, and instead do something you can indulge in too, like a shrimp cocktail, the soup or salad, melon wrapped in proscuitto, or something like a healthy version of a crab cake, just something that you can also eat, that is already portion controlled, or that you can indulge in without worrying to much about portions.

The dinner portion sounds lovely, and if you want to be even less guilty, i'd say to use angel hair or spaghetti noodles and add spaghetti squash to the noodles, like 1/2 and 1/2 ratio - i know hungry girl suggests that so you really are only eating half the quanity of noodles you feel like you are eating.

Dessert sounds great, with the mention of more strawberries, less chocolate LOL.

Hope you have a great night!
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Hi All

Thank you so much for your replies.. they are really appareciated.

I am glad that most of you agree that the meal I was planning is not too calorific and I can have little portions of each..

I have had a good read of your replies and I have decided to do the below:

Starter: No sit down starter (however, I will put Thai crackers with sweet chilli dip out in a bowl that he can snack on whilst i'm cooking)

Main: Red Thai curry with chicken & king prawns (using low fat coconut milk) and lots of Veg (Mange Tout, Baby Corn, Asparagus) served with Steamed Rice (I will not eat the rice)

Dessert : Frozen Fat Free Yoghurt (Belgium Chocolate flavour).. all the taste, but zero fat !!!

Drinks: Champagne (I deserve a drink after being soooo good this month).

I think for me just to eat a bowl of thai curry and the fat free yoghurt, plus champange i'm still looking at about 1000kcls which isnt bad for all that ..

I cant wait for Saturday now .... and i've been putting in extra training this week to accommodate the calories :-)