I have given up on fast and intense exercise, because it made me tired.

Options
This week I gave up on fast and intense exercise because it made me very tired and weak. This time I decided to slow down. When I do 50 mins exercise I lose 350 calories and still lose 2lbs per week. Am I doing the right thing by giving up on fast and intense exercise?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Fast and intense exercise is not needed. It's not personally my favorite. So that's ok.

But it may be that you aren't eating enough for that type of activity. If you enjoy that kind of working out, add in more calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Getting tired and weak while attempting intense cardio work indicates that you need rest, fuel, or both.

Not knowing your weight, I cannot comment on the appropriateness of your 2 lb per week rate of loss.

In any case, if you are able to burn calories and elevate your pulse with exercise, you're good.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do any type of exercise you don't like. It's not punishment.

Also if you are weak and tired you might need to eat more.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Some intense exercise is good but if you over do it and it makes you tired then it's not beneficial. I live by Dr Libby's principles of incorporating 1.Stretching to improve flexibility (I do pilates), 2.Endurance to improve cardio fitness (HIIT), 3.Strength training https://www.movenourishbelieve.com/move/right-exercise-for-you-dr-libby/
  • soccerjerseyguy
    soccerjerseyguy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fasted exercise (exercising on no food) is extremely exhausting to the central nervous system. The brain has to fire harder to get the same output, compared to when you work out with food in your tummy. I found this out the hard way, FWIW. Talk about power naps? LOL
  • dragonfly_66
    dragonfly_66 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs eating clean and pushing a stroller. So I think you'll be fine
  • blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I only do low impact cardio excercises & lift weights. Had great results becuz I can stick to it consistently which is what matters the most
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    This week I gave up on fast and intense exercise because it made me very tired and weak. This time I decided to slow down. When I do 50 mins exercise I lose 350 calories and still lose 2lbs per week. Am I doing the right thing by giving up on fast and intense exercise?

Not sure what you mean by 'fast.' I walk and hike, but stopped running when I got out of the military and no one could force me to do it anymore. I never liked the elliptical. I'll do a recumbent bike at the gym if I can't get cardio outside, but have no interest in spin class.

One advantage of fast is that it takes less time to burn the same amount of calories, but one can usually find somewhere else to take that extra time from.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Forget the calories burned (what you lose) during exercise, the calorie deficit will do that, find you an method of exercising you enjoy that help you reap cardiovascular health benefits, become fit and stronger. Its not supposed to make you feel weak, tired and unwell. Do you have any fitness goals you want to achieve?

I can not comment on the 2 pounds loss per week, as in its too fast a rate of loss for your weight/stats. So if you continue feeling weak and tired, may want to consider changing this so you can eat/fuel your body more..
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    i think you can have a intense workout, i dont know what your rest times are but if your doing a fast workout and your rest times are like 30 sec or a minute in between sets , intense and short rest times sometimes dont work out too well if your lifting heavy or if your out of shape , i like to take 1 minute and up to 3 minutes it just depends on how i fill between sets, a lot has to do with how many calories you are taken in a day, how many times you work out a week and then if your doing cardio on top of that, this could be why your energy levels are down could be over training, i think sometimes people think more is better that is not always true, sometimes you have to listen too what your body is saying, you just have to find out what works for you, good luck
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs eating clean at a caloric deficit and pushing a stroller. So I think you'll be fine

Cleanliness, whatever that is, had nothing to do with it.