Losing weight without tracking/counting?

Options
Just curious if anyone has lost weight without counting/tracking calories? Just eating mindfully and watching how much you eat instead. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have. Tracking and counting your calories is a valuable learning experience, but may not be something you have to do for life. It really depends on the person.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've tried to but I've failed, logging's the only thing that works for me and I thought I was making good choices, my estimations turned out to be about 20% off on average and I just ended up maintaining. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has managed, I'm sure people have, it just turned losing weight difficulty to hard mode for me without any measurable data to guide me.

Eyeballing 1400cals felt like being told to fill a sink with 4 pints of water with just a tap/faucet and no measuring jug. :P
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I did. Lost about 35 lbs and have kept it off for over a year now.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've done it a couple of times in the past, just cutting back on the snacks and increasing work outs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For weight loss? Yes - For maintenance - Nope

Listening to my body is a recipe for yo-yo dieting (for me). I think that I've been overweight far too long for this to be realistic for me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    It can depend on why you have gained the weight. In some cases, the cause is obvious so the solution is pretty easy. My husband once lost 20 lbs. just by giving up coke. He drank a lot. I've lost weight in the past by giving up sugary treats and restaurant meals. (Hard to sustain though.) Learning portion control can make a difference if you are used to eating huge meals and eating seconds or thirds. Following a more healthy diet can help you lose weight.

Whether that is enough to get you to the weight you want to achieve is a different matter.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I did during the first stage of my weight loss, which was in 2000. I quit spending money to eat food from C-stores and drive-throughs. Many stone dropped away quickly.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I just posted how I do it in another thread, in answering someone. :)

----
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

I agree - our brains are the enemy. If we could figure out how to shut off the craving/constant thought of things we want, losing weight would be a lot simpler. /quotes

I wrote:

That's basically the thesis of my approach. I asked myself that question years back and worked on the answer. The answer I found is...you cannot and shouldn't shut off. However, one can very effectively manage it through effective managing of calories and eating schedule. Craving won't be around if you satisfy it. No thoughts if you're not hung up. That means, you truly eat. But what about creating a deficit? This is where your brain comes in. Conditioning. Scheduling. Identifying patterns, reactions of the body. It's as easy as we are conditioned not to get up at 1am to grill a steak to satisfy some impulse. No such urge or impulse.

For me, it has to be like this to be sustainable. I won't carry a scale everywhere, won't skip company's free ice cream/churros day, won't turn down a friend's offer to take me out. Cheers.
    ----
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I can easily maintain without tracking by just weighing myself regularly, keeping my activity level up, and not eating a lot of foods that I know are high in calories.

I've never been able to lose though without tracking. I guess because it's easy when you only have a deficit of say 500 calories a day to overeat by that amount if you're not logging. I think I probably could lose without tracking if I had more to lose and could easily cut a few hundred calories by not drinking soda or something like that for example.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes, easily. Counting calories is not healthy for me. I gained some weight following an injury, and also during a very stressful period. Lost the weight both times without counting calories. I'm active. I've always had healthy eating habits, except for some stress related eating. I've never been overweight.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I can maintain a higher body fat percent than I find appealing without logging or logging very sloppily. To be lean or lose weight though, I need to be strict and log.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The first 20 lbs, yeah. I was obese, so just eating better and moving more helped me lose weight. Now that I'm closer to a "normal" weight, counting calories is crucial because my resting metabolic rate is pretty low (I'm also short). Even just an extra 200 calories a day would throw me off track.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have before without trying. I was also younger and maybe it was easier to drop the lbs. I'm back on here because while I eat pretty good, I think I eat too much of good stuff so I'm trying to work on my portions. I try not to focus that much on calories and more on the quality of food I eat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has lost weight without counting/tracking calories? Just eating mindfully and watching how much you eat instead. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mostly under unusual conditions when I didn't have access to a normal range of food, such as during Boot Camp, when I was in the wilds of Costa Rica for six weeks, when I lived at a yoga retreat center, etc.

When I have complete access to hyper palatable foods it behooves me to track.
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can't. I really need this app to keep me accountable. Every time I have lost all the weight I gain it back. Maybe if I could maintain for a long stretch of time I could do it without counting calories. But I still need to lose do I won't cross that bridge for quite a while,
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I did. I lost 50 or 60 pounds that way. It is simple to just eat a bit less.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I did. I lost 50 or 60 pounds that way. It is simple to just eat a bit less.

Oof! I wish. For a day maybe for me lol. That's really awesome you lost that way.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Millions of people manage to lose and maintain weight without calorie counting and tracking.

For myself, I just find it easier to track everything, there's no second guessing then, plus i enjoy it.

Tracking and counting is not a prerequisite for weight loss, it is just and incredibly handy tool to have in the toolbox.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yeah for sure but you need a basic knowledge of what food contains and be in tune. I've definitely done it before and actually lost most of my weight before joining MFP but it's not a surprise because when I started tracking, I was eating about 1400 calories naturally just by being healthy. And I was always full. Diary is open. I'm a healthy weight- bmi about 21. I want to lose another 10 pounds but it's much slower now that I'm close to my goal