Assisted Pull-Ups is it cheating

Options
I weigh 300 pounds and I can't do a pull-up on my own but I can do a pull-up if I use the assisted pull-up machine at my gym is that cheating or am I still working the muscles that I need to to eventually do one unassisted

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are working the muscles. I have no idea what you are asking as far as cheating goes. Cheating has nothing to do with it.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much the point of the assisted pull-up machine. I don't think you can call it a real pull-up though for bragging rights, but, it definitely still helps you get there.

When I weighed 140 lbs, I could finally do pull-ups, up to around 10. I could also bicep curl 120 lbs.. lol Man, that sounds crazy now. I used to be pretty fit.. lol. I wish I still owned weights.
  • Tewsy87
    Tewsy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Work your way there! I'm also working on it!
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating...it's meant to help you perform pull-ups with assistance; the idea is that you progressively require less assistance until you can do bodyweight pull-ups. However if I were you, I'd start doing negatives to help eventually get pull-ups. Use a box and jump so that your chin is over the bar and then slowly lower yourself until you are hanging with arms straightened (dead hang). I am a firm believer that negatives are the best exercise to help a person out that wants to be able to do pull ups.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i started out at 324 never been able to do 1 pull up on my own , i use the assisted pull up machine and started out on the highest weigh, now im down to 240 and i still use the assisted pull up machine, im down to 100 pounds on the machine, sooner or later hopefully sooner i will do them on my own, but i will still use the assisted pull up machine, you can get a real good burn and a real good squeeze using the assisted pull up machine, for my back work out i like to start out with assisted pull up machine, then i do reverse grip bar bell rows, after that rack pulls, and to finish off with stiff arm pull downs with the rope, good luck
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    not cheating. work those muscles.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't think it's cheating [can't do a full pullup myself], but personally i never use it. i was doing eccentrics/negatives for a while, until i sprained something tiny under one shoulderblade doing the jump.

after that i moved to the lat pulldown thing.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I use this machine at my gym and am slowly shaving off the help. I'll get an unassisted one eventually!
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Not cheating!!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's a start, keep improving.

When I work out I do as many as I can without assistance, then crank out as many assisted.

Gets easier each week
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    if you are going to use the machine at least make sure it is challenging...I see far too many people at the gym have close to their body weight on the machine and they look like they are literally just riding a ride - not actually lifting anything.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I started with the assisted machine, gradually reduced the amount of assistance...until I could do 1 unassisted...then 3...then 5...eventually 12. Also, I once did a 47.5lbs weighted chin-up. That was 15lbs ago though...can only do 8 unweighted now. So it's not cheating if you use it to progressively add weight.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Assisted Pull-Ups are no more cheating than starting squats with an empty bar, than starting Military Presses with 10 pound dumbbells (if that's the heaviest you can do), than starting Push-Ups from the knee position. Everyone has to start somewhere. You start at a weight you can do and PROGRESS from there. Keep up the good work, congrats on the start.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating...it's meant to help you perform pull-ups with assistance; the idea is that you progressively require less assistance until you can do bodyweight pull-ups. However if I were you, I'd start doing negatives to help eventually get pull-ups. Use a box and jump so that your chin is over the bar and then slowly lower yourself until you are hanging with arms straightened (dead hang). I am a firm believer that negatives are the best exercise to help a person out that wants to be able to do pull ups.

I do agree that negatives are a good way to build up to pull ups however if you're overweight I don't think you should do them. The OP said he is 300lbs so im going to take a shot in the dark and assume he's 80 to 100lbs from a healthy weight range, give or take. You don't even see people who are gym vets doing weighted pull ups with 80lbs, usually. So going the assisted pull up route to me is the best option. Again I do agree negatives are a good way to build up to pull ups on your own if your only issue is not being able to do a pull up.

@ OP you are still working the muscles so keep doing them.

This

I normally push people away from machines and encourage as much work as possible without them. But jumping to the bar or doing negatives when very overweight (or lack the strength) is a great way to destroy your shoulder/elbows (and many things).

Keep on the assisted machine, just be sure that you are progressing with it. Also check your form. Keep the hands relatively wide. Head held high (not tucked down into your neck), etc. Engage your abs. Nice and slow. Maybe watch a video. Get the form down now so that you can rock a "real" pull up later. Oh, and if you're not already, consider adding in some other pulling exercises to build your back.

Eventually you'll improve to the point where you can add in negatives and all sorts of fun things. And eventually you'll be able to do a pull up!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

I do agree that negatives are a good way to build up to pull ups however if you're overweight I don't think you should do them. The OP said he is 300lbs so im going to take a shot in the dark and assume he's 80 to 100lbs from a healthy weight range, give or take. You don't even see people who are gym vets doing weighted pull ups with 80lbs, usually. So going the assisted pull up route to me is the best option. Again I do agree negatives are a good way to build up to pull ups on your own if your only issue is not being able to do a pull up.

@ OP you are still working the muscles so keep doing them.

This

I normally push people away from machines and encourage as much work as possible without them. But jumping to the bar or doing negatives when very overweight (or lack the strength) is a great way to destroy your shoulder/elbows (and many things).

Keep on the assisted machine, just be sure that you are progressing with it. Also check your form. Keep the hands relatively wide. Head held high (not tucked down into your neck), etc. Engage your abs. Nice and slow. Maybe watch a video. Get the form down now so that you can rock a "real" pull up later. Oh, and if you're not already, consider adding in some other pulling exercises to build your back.

Eventually you'll improve to the point where you can add in negatives and all sorts of fun things. And eventually you'll be able to do a pull up!

Totally agree, also, learn what it means and feels like to pack your shoulders.

And with the other back/shoulder exercises you'll be able to push yourself differently than with assisted pullups.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So have you actually gotten on the machine?

I had a client once who was VERY over weight- and the counter weight was barely enough for him- and he almost ripped his arms out of his sockets when he put his weight on it because he didn't realize he needed to check to see if it was going to support him.

Just make sure it's got enough counterbalance for you.

Being said- once you confirm that its' adequate- do them if you're clear. Most of the big body builders in my gym use the assisted pull up- real pull ups are difficult b/c they are so much heavier- so they cant' do the volume they need to do train their back- so they use assisted.

Definitely not cheating.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Assisted Pull-Ups are no more cheating than starting squats with an empty bar, than starting Military Presses with 10 pound dumbbells (if that's the heaviest you can do), than starting Push-Ups from the knee position. Everyone has to start somewhere. You start at a weight you can do and PROGRESS from there. Keep up the good work, congrats on the start.

I have had to modify almost every exercise that I started with, but I am seeing progress so do what you can safely do and keep at it- and you will get stronger. Keep up the awesome work!