Birthday cake!

Options
Well, it's about to begin! My son's b-day is this weekend....there will be cake! My husbands b-day is 3 weeks after....there will be cake! MY b-day is one month later...there will be cake! (This one isn't so bad because I plan on having strawberry shortcake which is much lower in fat). Then one month after that is my daughter's b-day...there will be cake! SOOOO for the next 2 1/2 months there will be all kinds of temptation in my house!!!! The question is...do I give in and eat ONE piece for each b-day, or do I just make up my mind not to have any at all?

Also...how many calories would you say is in a piece of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting?

Replies

• Cherylann402
    Options
    Well, it's about to begin! My son's b-day is this weekend....there will be cake! My husbands b-day is 3 weeks after....there will be cake! MY b-day is one month later...there will be cake! (This one isn't so bad because I plan on having strawberry shortcake which is much lower in fat). Then one month after that is my daughter's b-day...there will be cake! SOOOO for the next 2 1/2 months there will be all kinds of temptation in my house!!!! The question is...do I give in and eat ONE piece for each b-day, or do I just make up my mind not to have any at all?

Also...how many calories would you say is in a piece of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting?
  • maridale
    maridale Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You go ahead and eat a small piece and walk an extra mile or two and let it go! Enjoy life in moderation.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You go ahead and eat a small piece and walk an extra mile or two and let it go! Enjoy life in moderation.

Totally agree! :drinker:
  • mms817
    mms817 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree too! Do some extra exercise to combat those calories and enjoy a piece of cake! Those days you know you are going to eat cake, make wiser choices for the meals earlier in the day and there will be calories left to splurge.
  • Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree...I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't deny yourself sweets, especially on special occasions. Just remember you can't overdo it and exercise a little more. You'll be happier : )
  • mms817
    mms817 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Also, if you make the cakes at home, you can cut the calories by using unsweetened applesauce for the oil and if it calls for three eggs, you can use two whole eggs and one egg white to reduce calories. I even like pudding in place of frosting on a sheet cake and you can make pudding with low fat milk or even sugar free - just be sure to keep it refrigerated.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Are you baking the cake yourself? If so, use applesauce in place of the oil and use the egg substitution. It's just as good (actually moister with the applesauce) but with hardly any fat.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just googled it--says about 340 calories without frosting, 1/12 of a 9 inch, 2 layer cake. 14 g fat, 5 g sat fat,, about 120 calories an ounce (so it says?) Hope this helps!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do agree you should have a piece of cake with the rest of your family, just don't overdo it...and cut back on everything else to make up for it or do some extra exercise. I am baking a cake on Valentine's Day because I want to make it healthier than store bought cake. Any other ideas on the frosting other than the pudding frosting? :wink:
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been eating these Betty Crocker Warm Delights Mini's... They are absolutely delecious and only 150 calories. Would they be offended if you brought your own little mini cake?
  • bluestime
    Options
    tough one. It's hard to enjoy a moment when you're worried about food that's why you save up calories for it so that on that day you can eat whatever you want. Or skip the cake and get smaller cupcakes with candles.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Have small pieces with a big glass of water or skim milk. 4 small pieces of cake over 2 1/2 months wont derail you. Just really watch your your calories on the days before and after. If you just exercise 100 calories extra for three days your woud work it off.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Have a piece of cake. Would you be sad looking back 50 years from now, thinking to yourself that you never ate any of your babies' birthday cakes while they were growing up? Just up your workout a bit and plan accordingly....oh... AND Happy Birthday to you! :flowerforyou:
  • babyhippo
    Options
    My son's birthday was just last week. Instead of making a whole cake. I made small cupcakes.
    You get a much small portion than if you cut a piece for yourself.
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    just type in the search subject "cake" and there is an option for choc cake with choc frosting. i think it was around 250 or something, but don't quote me, just type in cake and it should pop right up. there's a bunch of choices that come up so just look for it.

i've became an expert at entering it over the last week or so! :happy: my bday, my grandpa's, and my mom's are all three days apart. we went out to eat like 4 times that week and then work brought in a cake and blah blah. . . needless to say, i just cut cal corners with my other meals and saved my cals for the cake and it was definately worth it!! :tongue: go enjoy it!! and i know a lot of people don't count cals on special days like that. i did go ahead and count all my cals through all the choc and eating out! lol to me, it was very rewarding to enter my cals and not go over even though i was doing a lot of celebrating! rather you log or not, just enjoy yourself and eat that cake!!!:tongue::tongue: you deserve it!:wink: