Medication and it's impact on weight loss

Hi everyone!! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced with fluoxetine (prozac) and/or the combined pill and not being able to loose weight? So I started logging my food a few days ago but I've been eating exactly the same for the past 5 months. I also work out at least 4 times a week and I have not lost a single pound! I'm at the heaviest I've ever been, my weight just suddenly shot up in the span of a few months last autumn. I've been weening myself off of the fluoxetine for about 2 months but it hasn't made any difference at all. I'm wondering if the bith control could have an impact on it, although I've been on that for years with no problem. Any thoughts or advice would be super helpful

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Many medications list weight gain as a posible side effect, but I don't understand the mechanics. Hormones can affect metabolism and things that influence mood may change how much you eat etc.

In the final analysis you may just need to adjust your food intake accordingly if you're on a regime of medication that you are comfortable with.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    It is possible, hormones are a funny business, but in my personal experience, once I learned to log accurately I was able to lose/maintain/and gain weight at an expected rate both on and off birth control.

Since you are new to logging I would set an appropriate calorie goal, log for 4-6 weeks, and see what happens. Unfortunately, with the information given no one can really tell you if you should or should not be losing weight, we would need more information (age, activity level, current weight, goal weight, calorie goal, what exercise you do, how much calories you eat back for exercise)

Here is a helpful post about logging accurately if you are interested:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1