Dumb question?

Options
arn004
arn004 Posts: 2 Member
What is best to cut (obviously not completely:) sugar, carbs, sodium, fats?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for weight loss, calories.
  • RDahling
    RDahling Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sodium is always good to decrease so long as you don't impede your muscle's ability to function. As well, sodium isn't a macronutrient and doesn't generally impact weight loss unless water retention is an issue.

Macronutrients include:

Carbohydrates
    Fats
    Proteins

Standard dietary ratios are:

Carbs: 50-55% of daily intake
    Protein: 10-35%
    Fats: 20-30%

You should note that sugars ARE carbs, usually monosaccharides or simple sugars (so cutting sugar/carbs is a touch redundant).

Essentially it will come down to what your intentions are. If you're looking to lose weight, then lowering total daily kcal intake (across the spectrum of macronutrients) will be helpful, as will increasing activity levels to help create a negative energy result daily (weight loss = energy in < energy out).

If you are trying to recomp (that is, your weight is healthy and you just want to alter your structure to build up muscle/lose fat or lean bulky areas), then your changes are going to be different (and you may want to check out the recomp threads for advice on that - not my thing at this point as I am personally just trying to lose body fat at this point and will deal with recomp when I reach that point).

Without knowing your details, it is hard to answer this question:

Age?
    Sex?
    Height?
    Weight?
    Purpose?
    Exercise?
    Diet Sample?
    Health Issues that may impact advice (Diabetes, IBS, Crohn's, Lactose Intolerance, etc.)?

Cheers,
    Rob
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on which one you tend to overeat the most.

In general, I'd say sugar, then sodium, then equally carbs and fat.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sodium i would not worry about as long as you drink a lot of water and exercise regularly. Sugar I would not worry as long as you keep the the refined sugars out. Between fat and carbs i will usually cut carbs only because I don't like going too low on my fat intake.