What time of day do you weigh in?

Options
2»

Replies

• Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Honestly? It's kind of grim, but I weigh myself just once a week and only after I've... done my business. Get rid of the waste in your body and you'll see a more accurate weight. It always seems to make a difference for me.

Sorry for the grossness. ^.^
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    spdaphne wrote: »
    In the morning, after I've gone to the restroom and in just underwear. No morning water or anything. And yes, my weight has gone up if I have an apt in the afternoon so I take it with a grain of salt.

Won't the grain of salt cause you to retain fluid?
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Natural daily fluctuation (you may be 2lbs heavier even on your scale at home)
    Scales vary (unless it's a hardcore scientific scale which you doctor does NOT have)

Pick one scale to go by and stick to that one.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    just be consistent. First thing in the morning will likely result in the most consistent #s.

How do you know this? What do you define as "consistent"? Do your fluid retention and digestive speeds coincide with your 24 hour schedule? I would guess that they don't. Is your workout and food intake and burn exactly the same every day (and at the same times and with the same stuff)? I would guess that it's not.

I hear (and read) this consistency thing all the time and don't see any substantive basis for it. Weight fluctuates pretty wildly throughout the day for many people. And it's not always in the expected direction. So I can't see how the time of weighing or "consistency" day to day has any bearing at all. There are data points along the way, but that's all they are. There is no such thing as consistency in numbers, nor is there any benefit to it in the first place. Time and trend is everything.

The only pro-argument I've read so far has to with the toxins your body burns while you sleep. But because of all the other factors, I'm not sure it has any significant bearing either.

/off my soapbox for now (and I admit it really isn't a big deal).
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Daily and first thing in the morning after bathroom use. It fluctuates because I'm human but as long as the monthly trend is downward, I don't care about the number.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Every Friday morning at 6am, after I have used the restroom, with no clothes on, in the same exact spot --- I put the scale in the center of my bathroom lol. Hope this helps!
  • ffswmn
    ffswmn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning after using the bathroom and before drinking anything. But I only track Monday morning weight.
  • acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. If I have to go to the doctor, I take a picture of the scale with my weight because when I jump on their scale I'm a minimum of 5 lbs heavier. To hell with that! lol

I noticed this too, although the doctors scale is probably much more accurate.