Hurt knees doing Jillian Micheals DVD and no weight loss this month

Options
Hi everyone ,

I had a baby 5 months ago and at 2 month pp I started doing Jillian micheLs dvds . I was doing great and lost 20 lbs . But my knees started to hurt and I've been resting for 3 weeks now while maintaining healthy diet and haven't lost any weight . I want to get back to a routine
I went to dr and he said to just ice it

Does anyone know of any workout dvds that won't hurt the knees ?
I'm in Florida and taking walks is just too hot with a baby so dvds was the best thing for me until I'm able to go to the gym when he is older

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I feel for you and your sore knees, have issues myself and find lower impact works well - try Jessica Smith TV on youtube, any amount of her low impact workouts there.

As for the weight loss, if you haven't lost in a month then you are eating at maintenance calories - are you logging your food meticulously, using a food scale etc?
  • sfakers28315
    sfakers28315 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some awesome walking DVDs that you do in the comfort of your own home. Trust me when I say these are awesome calorie burning walks :smiley:
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you like the dvd but one exercise is hurting you, then just replace the certain menacing movement with something else. I do that a lot since there are certain things I cannot do. Key is to keep the heart rate up. I like YouTube FitnessBlender workouts which there are many to choose from. More often, they will show you the alternative movement if you find you are stressing out your joints. Have fun! Congrats on the baby and weight loss.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Dynamic yoga may be good (e.g. ashtanga yoga). DVD wise, I did Piyo when my baby was a few months old. You could also try some bodyweight type strength training - I've been doing You Are Your Own Gym via the app - which will help your knees get stronger and prevent future injuries. I've found it really helpful alongside running recently.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    awesome walking DVDs that you do in the comfort of your own home.

I forgot about the walking fitness videos. I did these a lot when I couldn't make it to my treadmill.

• pgreen1017
    pgreen1017 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    leslie sanstone has some great walking videos. I have arthritis in my knees and I can do these DVDs with no problem.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    An appropriate/healthy calorie deficit is the key, not just 'healthy' food. Just eat a bit less and your loss will continue.

If Jillian Michaels is hurting your knees, you could try videos targeted at seniors - they are low impact. There was one woman who specialized in them but I forgot her name.
  • nadiama89
    nadiama89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 years old . I wasnlenticdo all of Jillian micheals advanced movements , I guess it was all the jumping on impact and nothing controlled .. i feel like the senior workouts won't challenge me
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That high humidity heat in Florida is no joke! I visited Orlando during the summer and I stayed in my hotel and refused to go outside. Try YouTube Fitness blender videos. They offer various low impact videos. That said, and I agree with others, the most effective way to loss weight and it's the only way that has worked for me since I started in January is to create that caloric deficit. I don't have to worry about "clean" or "unclean" food. I just make sure I eat 3 well balanced meals daily with snack, without eliminating my favorite food and I stay within the recommended daily calories for me. The only way to know how much you are putting in your mouth is to accurately keeping track of the food you eat using free tools like MFP.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a mirror and checking your form. None of the workouts should be damaging if properly executed. Lunges-are your knees traveling passed your toes or inward? Jumping-are you concentrating on landing on the balls of your feet? Squats-are your knees caving in? Also, do you work out on concrete like a basement or garage? Runners on pavement vs trails tend to have more issues.
    You're too young to be worrying about major damage especially if you've been doing this workout for only 2months. Keep the inflammation down with ice seems like legitimate advice.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have very bad knees and still do Jillian videos... try her Beginner Shred instead of the regular version. It's much kinder to your joints. You don't need to go full depth on lunges for them to be effective (they are the move that gives me the most trouble since I have joint issues in my hips as well).

If the squats hurt your knees, try varying how wide your stance is and how far out your are pointing your feet. Also, some people need to bend their upper body forward more to counterbalance a squat more than other people do. It's okay. Just do your best.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lunges, Most people do them wrong. It's not a long step, it's a deep step.. If your down knee is more than 3 inches behind your heel, you're too long... Ideally it should be in line with your heel,

Also, yes make sure that your knees on squats and lunges are over your 3rd/4th toes. You may need to alter your foot angle or placement due to structural circumstances.