Just can't lose weight

Options
I've been eating really well for the past few weeks, and at about 1200 calories a day- I've also been doing 30 mins of cardio every day and one weight training session a week. My weight is not changing at all, Im stuck at what I started at, and this morning I even gained a pound!
Help!

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    sienna768 wrote: »
    I've been eating really well for the past few weeks, and at about 1200 calories a day- I've also been doing 30 mins of cardio every day and one weight training session a week. My weight is not changing at all, Im stuck at what I started at, and this morning I even gained a pound!
    Help!

If you don't know accurately how many calories you are intaking, there is no way to determine if you are in a calorie deficit.

Weigh and track everything!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    You look to me like you're at goal weight in your picture. Is it current? If you are working on vanity pounds you should be doing so very slowly. Water retention changes will make those scales almost useless in the short term. Personally I'd keep doing what you're doing (although I would aim for higher than 1200 personally, but I don't know your height).
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Track every calorie you eat, take your measurements, and then be patient. Judging by your profile pic, you don't have much weight to loose, so it is unlikely that you can drop pounds rapidly. It is important to weigh food so you know exactly how many calories you are eating. Guessing can put you over or under calories. You don't want to put all of you effort to waste because your numbers are off. Your measurement may be changing as you are exercising and you may be loosing inches but not pounds. Don't quit, just rethink.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Help!

A few weeks is not enough time to decide this is not working. The body can fluctuate 3-5 pounds due to water weight.

What is your height, weight now? How many calories do you burn in a day thru your normal daily hobbies, job? How accurately do you log your calories in? Do you log everything, everyday over the past few weeks? Or have you skipped logging some meals or some days? How often do you use a food scale?

Improve your logging accuracy, and give it a few more weeks.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Help!

First, few weeks is not enough time. Body needs time to adjust to lower calories and also any new/added exercise.

Weight gain of 1 pound can be many things, TOM (or where you are in your monthly cycle) hydration or lack there of, sodium/carb changes in your diet, glycogen/muscle repair, etc..

If not using a food scale, get one. This will help you be on point with calories.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    i450d5mddmy0.jpg
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Help!

What's your current height and weight?
  • sienna768
    sienna768 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I'll definitely be a lot more stricter on my measuring of food, and I'll give it a couple more weeks of being really strict with myself before I see if I've made any progress. I have tried to log everything to the best of my ability but I do know that I haven't been completely strict on it so I'll give that a go.
    I'm 5'9 and weigh 11stone7lbs- I want to get down to 11stones to feel more comfortable in myself, but I know that this obviously will be tough.
    I'm mid exam season right now, so my daily movement is limited - I'm basically at a desk all day, so I'm definitely not burning that many calories normally.
    Thank you all for the responses! It's given me that bit of reassurance that I needed to know to keep going and be really strict
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Perhaps wait until your exams are over before you properly focus on your weight as the stress can negatively affect your weight.

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/how-to-prevent-weight-gain-due-to-stress-and-anxiety

Good luck with your exams!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    More time with the exercise will help you, too. While you're taking exams, you could carve out a half hour walk as your break from studying just to help clear your head, then up your cardio workouts to an hour a day when exams are done. Consider doing three weight workouts a week. Every other day will let your muscles recover, and you'll see better results with toning and slimming.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A quick note: some people gain weight when stressed (I do). I just tend to retain a lot of water during stressful times. Once I'm done with a difficult project the weight melts in chunks as if by magic within a few days. Could it be you're stressing about exams? Do tighten up your logging, don't forget to log any sauces, cooking oils..etc, but just a thought in cases something like this happens in the future when you're stressed despite logging accurately.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    get a food scale
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    is that you in the photo?? if so you already look quite small.
  • sienna768
    sienna768 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is me in my photo yeah, I carry a lot of weight on my legs and stomach so it's probably not as noticeable from the back
    I am stressed from exams, so that could be quite likely
    Thanks for the exercise tips! I'll try the 3 weight sessions a week- in terms of cardio though I'm actually starting to train for a half marathon! I'm hopeful that's going to really help increase my general fitness