How to eat only 35g fat per day?

Options
I've just worked out my macros needed and have found out the following:
Protein 168g per day
Carbs 153g per day
Fat 35g per day
Which all seems fair enough, but, after eating a two egg omelette with a small amount of feta cheese and 1/2 an avocado, made with 1/2 tsp of coconut oil for brekkie and a salmon salad with 0.2floz of extra virgin olive oil for lunch (ALL homemade) plus x2 omega 3 fish oils and I'm already over my 35g per day allowance, by 18g!!!!
Has anyone got a daily routine that's similar macros to mine that they can share with me? So I keep to my daily Fat per day?
Thanks,
Charlie x

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Fat is a minimum. Increase fat and decrease carbs as suit your preference.
  • CharlieMonroe39
    CharlieMonroe39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good thinking! Although I need to lose weight so I'd like to stick to the right macros, rather than changing them....
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There are no "right" macros for losing weight. Caloric deficit is all that matters. And you keep the deficit by decreasing some other macro as you increase fat.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    there is no way that MFP's default macros would have given you those numbers. That is way too little fat especially since most good protein sources have fairly significant fat to them. Plus your system needs the fats to keep things moving! You are going to get very constipated if you eat so little fat each day. I have had really good success with 100+g protein and 70-80g of fat each day on about 1400-1500 calories.

Totally agree with @allyphoe, reduce carbs and up fats
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    There are no "right" macros for losing weight. Caloric deficit is all that matters. And you keep the deficit by decreasing some other macro as you increase fat.

agree increasing fat and decreasing carbs will not slow down your loss. I have my protein and fat higher than MFP setting and carbs lower.
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also you have to think about the types of fat you eat. I ate 55g of fat yesterday but only 11g of them were saturated. The rest were mono and poly unsaturated. I go by the rule that if you keep your saturated fats as close to 7% of your total calories don't worry about the rest.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what did you use to calculate your macros?

current age/weight
    goal weight
  • CharlieMonroe39
    CharlieMonroe39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much for your replies! I calculated my LBM, BMR, TBEE and Cals - through age, weight, how often I exercise, how often I'm sitting on my backside at my desk job all day(!) - and that's what gave me the result! I had no idea that changing the fat/carbs around a bit would NOT have an effect on the speed of any weight loss I hope to have... Thanks again All! :smile:
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    agree with the above posters. There are many ways to go about it, but if you want to increase one macro, you gotta decrease another to keep your calories down. Look at mine in my profile....I eat in around 150G of fat, but only 25g of carbs....the opposite extreme of you
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There is no way MFP gave you those values by default. The default macros used by MFP are 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein. The values you gave work out to roughly 38% carb, 20% fat, 42% protein. The U.S. Institute of Medicine gives the acceptable ranges for macro nutrient intake as 45%-65% carb, 20-35% fat, 10%-35% protein. Looking at it another way, unless you weigh over 350-450 pounds, 168 grams of protein is well above the 0.8-1 gram per kg of body weight that is generally recommended. While you can find people who swear by values outside the IOMs recommended macro nutrient values, those are the values generally accepted by nutritionists. Unless the percentages/amounts you have were prescribed for you specifically by a medical or nutrition professional, you may want to consider changing your macros to be more in line with the generally recommended ranges. As others have said, macro nutrient balance won't effect weight loss, but may impact how you feel, whether you are able to get proper nutrition from your diet, and your ability to stick with the diet long-term.