*ties sneakers* *types vigorously* *gets awesome*

Options
About me: I’m a wife, mother of 4, knitter/crocheter/seamstress, musician, and somewhat decent pool player (I’m really bad at darts though….just, like, really bad). I’m 29 years old, (for the first time, honest), and I make bad jokes when I’m bored/nervous. I’m no good at keeping house, but when the mood hits me the house is spotless, if only for a moment…and then the moment is gone (4 kids). I can’t remember the last time I had one full hour to myself for a hobby so THIS is my new hobby, I am choosing to prioritize it above knitting (*gasp!*) and above the Sega (*glances longingly at Sega*).

Why I am here: I try to eat right, I try to work out regularly, and I try to be consistent but not too hard on myself. That said, I’m sick of yo-yoing, I’m sick of “starting over” every day, and I’m sick of hating jeans. I have written goals, a game plan, and a supportive husband and friend, but I’m looking for a community. I’m here to stay accountable to myself and be part of an overall team with similar goals – get fit, feel good, enjoy being naked (not everyone needs to be in on the last one).

My numbers: I’m 29 (no, really), 5’ 2”, and somewhere around 135 to 145lbs. At my heaviest, about 3 months post partum #4, I was about 175. At my best (pre baby #3) I was about 115 and badass. Three months ago I was only 123lbs. But I’m short so every pound shows and like most women/mothers, it shows in my belly and thighs.

My goals: I realize that I am not terribly overweight, and I don’t have unrealistic goals. I don’t want my high school body back, but I do want to be fitter, feel more comfortable in my clothes, and have the energy to play soccer with my kids. I’m not too concerned with how much I’ll actually weigh once I reach my goals, but I know that I want to feel good, look good, and be healthy and consistent. I’m about 1 month into really being goal oriented (this time) and I’m feeling better than I did when I started, but that has me motivated to do even better. So, the actual goals: diet - low carbs, lean protein, healthy fat, low sugar, no dairy; exercise – just do it! But really, cardio 5-6 times a week, free weights, exercise videos, yoga, and belly dance.

My hurdles/challenges/shortcomings: 1. I drink. Not to excess, but I like wine and crème liqueurs which are huge in calories and carbs (….as I type this and sip on a white Russian – with unsweetened almond milk). 2. I eat when I’m bored or when my husband is munching. I also eat when I’m tired, and I’m always tired. Which is my next short coming – 3. I have horrible sleep habits and I know that causes more cortisol blah, blah, blah. 4. I’m always on the move, between soccer games and baton and band and my husband’s races there’s always something going on. (Although I’ve been packing snacks and insisting on picnic lunches instead of fast food.)

Where you come in: want to be part of my crazy world? I don’t “do” social media, I don’t have facebook, etc, but I want to make friends with similar goals, but be patient because I’m weird at people-ing. I want to exchange recipes, share successes and failures to a sympathetic and encouraging ear – and I want to be a sympathetic and encouraging ear to someone (or some many) else. Do you feel like coaching someone? Sure, I’m game (at least for a trial run to see if we’re compatible). Want to try my style? I’ll share with you what I can. I guess I don’t know where you come in, but if you want in then get in here!

I’ve been doing so good for about 2 weeks, and then today I ate waffles with the kids for breakfast and other things so I guess today has been my cheat day. I feel a bit guilty. I feel like I cheated myself. Tomorrow starts fresh (ohmigosh, remember how, like, 7 paragraphs ago I said I’m sick of “starting over” every day! Yah, this is exactly what I mean!).

I need to sweat more, I need to be more dedicated. I’m going to do these things and I’m going to look fantastic in my bikini and my Halloween costume and my jeans. And I’m going to stop typing and do squats before the baby wakes up from her nap….

Replies

• Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    That's probably the best intro post I've ever read! Welcome to the boards!
  • TabithaQuinn
    TabithaQuinn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you Rufftimes! I've been a user of the MFP app off and on for longer than I remember, but this is my first start to be active in the community. I'm pretty excited - on my way to go review the recipes forum! Yum! Also, great before/after pic! Nicely done!
  • norahkathleen
    norahkathleen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    first off, i loved reading this post! fellow mom of four (mine are 2, 6, 9, and 11...yours?) and similar-ish goals. would love to help support/motivate/hold each other accountable. on board with just about everything you said, except i will trade the creme liquers for my vodka martinis...bonus: even with a blue cheese sex olive (seriously, it is just the brand that i like the best, made here in wisconsin) it is fairly easy to fit into my counts. and i can not promise to prioritize this above my knitting...in fact, i can almost guarantee that i will not. that being said, when i really really want to eat something ridiculously unhealthy (allthecarbs) i pick up my knitting to distract myself.

sending you a friend request now...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You're really 32 aren't you? :p
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am not much of a friend-adder, but your post cracked me up: friend request sent. :D I am a fellow fibers arts junkie (on the one hand, I've gone off the deep end and we have a lovely French Angora in addition to three rabbits that are just cute non-wool-producing bums, and I plan to learn to spin....on the other hand, my crochet time has been replaced with weightlifting/push-up/burpee time....on the other other hand, one of the consistent decorative motifs throughout our house is large baskets of the most awesome balls and skeins imagineable as a result of my heroin-esque yarn habits...so, yeah...)

The good news is, you can likely still fit in waffles from time to time, especially if you keep those sneakers laced up--I lost 25 lbs. and am now maintaining putting the smack down on the Mama's French Toast Breakfast at Cracker Barrel on a regular basis.
  • TabithaQuinn
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    @norahkathleen the kids are all about to have birthdays and will be 2, (a boy who would have turned 3), 7, 12, and 16 (a lot of people get really concerned about this, the 16 year old is my step-awesome). They do keep a person busy, dont' they?! And I'm on board with vodka martinis! I used to knit constantly but lately there's barely time to finish a row. I'm looking forward to this winter again to hopefully have more time to knit again.
    @French_Peasant learning to spin would be so awesome! Good luck! I also have a healthy (overflowing) collection of yarns and fabrics and all of the fun tools that accompany them. I refuse to tuck any of it into the basement because eventually I'm going to have time to pick it up again. Congrats on your 25lbs loss! And french toast sounds amazing. Ya know, I don't think I've ever eaten at a Cracker Barrel, at least not in my adult life that I can remember. I'll have to fit it in somewhere.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I also eat when I’m tired, and I’m always tired. Which is my next short coming – 3. I have horrible sleep habits and I know that causes more cortisol blah, blah, blah. 4. I’m always on the move, between soccer games and baton and band and my husband’s races there’s always something going on. (Although I’ve been packing snacks and insisting on picnic lunches instead of fast food.)

This totally cracked me up! Love your opening. I have to know - do your kids compete in baton? I did for many many years from age 4 to 14 in the US (I'm 47 now). Most people don't know what it is.

As for waffles, I have found that telling myself I can eat whatever I want (instead of "cheating") and just making it fit my calories for the day has made this journey a 1000 times better. Just changing that one mindset made such a difference in being successful.
  • iabreu21
    iabreu21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read this post and laughed because I was just getting ready to write one just like this!! :) . We have the same goals and similar lifestyles. I am also tired of the yo-yo diet and ready to fully commit to this new life style change!
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ok I had to send a friend request because your intro was so awesome :)
  • TabithaQuinn
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean hahahah, not yet, but I can see it over the horizon!

@Hearts_2015 I think livingleanlivingclean was just playing along with my attempt at nervous humor. All good! And I think the parts that you quoted might have been a little mixed up - I'm not concerned about my age (just kidding I'm almost 30 ahhhh!) - but some people get worried when they think I had my first kid at 13. Sometimes it's fun to watch people run the numbers over their head, you can see their faces go thru a series of emotions and then they wonder if they should ask or not while I just smile politely back. hehehehe.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    @norahkathleen the kids are all about to have birthdays and will be 2, (a boy who would have turned 3), 7, 12, and 16 (a lot of people get really concerned about this, the 16 year old is my step-awesome). They do keep a person busy, dont' they?! And I'm on board with vodka martinis! I used to knit constantly but lately there's barely time to finish a row. I'm looking forward to this winter again to hopefully have more time to knit again.
    @French_Peasant learning to spin would be so awesome! Good luck! I also have a healthy (overflowing) collection of yarns and fabrics and all of the fun tools that accompany them. I refuse to tuck any of it into the basement because eventually I'm going to have time to pick it up again. Congrats on your 25lbs loss! And french toast sounds amazing. Ya know, I don't think I've ever eaten at a Cracker Barrel, at least not in my adult life that I can remember. I'll have to fit it in somewhere.

Ha ha! My husband keeps trying to put my yarn in the closet (where there may or may not be bins worth already stashed); I'm like, "what the heck are you doing??! Do you know how much I paid for that? Um....which.... uh.... wasn't much at all...NOTHINGTOSEEHEREMOVEITALONG!"

I am the mother of the world's pickiest child, and Cracker Barrel is the only place where she will eat fish, specifically lemon pepper trout, so we will go there a couple of times a month. For dinners, they have much wiser options and all kind of veg, but for Saturday breakfast, if I know I am putting in a full day at the garden, I will have all the calories to spare. Some days--rarely--I will mess up, but not get too concerned because I know I will make up for it down the road.
  • TabithaQuinn
    Options
    @ronjsteele1 :smile: the oldest doesn't compete anymore, but the 12 year old does. She recently switched to flag which she is also loving. She's great at it.
    And I've been trying to tell myself that it's not cheating and that the whole day isn't ruined and that no, that one hangup doesn't mean it's okay to eat that donut (or whatever). I'm a perfectionist by nature, but I'm also trying to adapt to that mindset. Thank you for the good advice!.

@iabreu21 best of luck on your journey!! The yo-yo part is sooo frustrating - great toy, terrible life habit. I know my struggle is that I'll get myself to a place I like and as I'm checking myself out in the mirror going "dayum girl! Great work!" I'm also reaching just outside of the mirror to some diet disaster treat and the next thing I know it's 2 weeks late and I'm sitting in a pile of bagels going "nooooooo"!!! But no more!
  • WannaBHottyMommy
    WannaBHottyMommy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    About me: I’m a wife, mother of 4, knitter/crocheter/seamstress, musician, and somewhat decent pool player (I’m really bad at darts though….just, like, really bad). I’m 29 years old, (for the first time, honest), and I make bad jokes when I’m bored/nervous. I’m no good at keeping house, but when the mood hits me the house is spotless, if only for a moment…and then the moment is gone (4 kids). I can’t remember the last time I had one full hour to myself for a hobby so THIS is my new hobby, I am choosing to prioritize it above knitting (*gasp!*) and above the Sega (*glances longingly at Sega*).

Why I am here: I try to eat right, I try to work out regularly, and I try to be consistent but not too hard on myself. That said, I’m sick of yo-yoing, I’m sick of “starting over” every day, and I’m sick of hating jeans. I have written goals, a game plan, and a supportive husband and friend, but I’m looking for a community. I’m here to stay accountable to myself and be part of an overall team with similar goals – get fit, feel good, enjoy being naked (not everyone needs to be in on the last one).

My numbers: I’m 29 (no, really), 5’ 2”, and somewhere around 135 to 145lbs. At my heaviest, about 3 months post partum #4, I was about 175. At my best (pre baby #3) I was about 115 and badass. Three months ago I was only 123lbs. But I’m short so every pound shows and like most women/mothers, it shows in my belly and thighs.

My goals: I realize that I am not terribly overweight, and I don’t have unrealistic goals. I don’t want my high school body back, but I do want to be fitter, feel more comfortable in my clothes, and have the energy to play soccer with my kids. I’m not too concerned with how much I’ll actually weigh once I reach my goals, but I know that I want to feel good, look good, and be healthy and consistent. I’m about 1 month into really being goal oriented (this time) and I’m feeling better than I did when I started, but that has me motivated to do even better. So, the actual goals: diet - low carbs, lean protein, healthy fat, low sugar, no dairy; exercise – just do it! But really, cardio 5-6 times a week, free weights, exercise videos, yoga, and belly dance.

My hurdles/challenges/shortcomings: 1. I drink. Not to excess, but I like wine and crème liqueurs which are huge in calories and carbs (….as I type this and sip on a white Russian – with unsweetened almond milk). 2. I eat when I’m bored or when my husband is munching. I also eat when I’m tired, and I’m always tired. Which is my next short coming – 3. I have horrible sleep habits and I know that causes more cortisol blah, blah, blah. 4. I’m always on the move, between soccer games and baton and band and my husband’s races there’s always something going on. (Although I’ve been packing snacks and insisting on picnic lunches instead of fast food.)

Where you come in: want to be part of my crazy world? I don’t “do” social media, I don’t have facebook, etc, but I want to make friends with similar goals, but be patient because I’m weird at people-ing. I want to exchange recipes, share successes and failures to a sympathetic and encouraging ear – and I want to be a sympathetic and encouraging ear to someone (or some many) else. Do you feel like coaching someone? Sure, I’m game (at least for a trial run to see if we’re compatible). Want to try my style? I’ll share with you what I can. I guess I don’t know where you come in, but if you want in then get in here!

I’ve been doing so good for about 2 weeks, and then today I ate waffles with the kids for breakfast and other things so I guess today has been my cheat day. I feel a bit guilty. I feel like I cheated myself. Tomorrow starts fresh (ohmigosh, remember how, like, 7 paragraphs ago I said I’m sick of “starting over” every day! Yah, this is exactly what I mean!).

I need to sweat more, I need to be more dedicated. I’m going to do these things and I’m going to look fantastic in my bikini and my Halloween costume and my jeans. And I’m going to stop typing and do squats before the baby wakes up from her nap….

It looks like you can start a group, have you thought about doing that?
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is stay at it. I give you a ton of credit. I think the biggest thing that helped me was if I missed one week or two weeks I made a commitment to never let it go beyond that.