edited May 2017
    Options
    12 oz cans of chicken breast (2) or a 20 oz package of smoked sausage
    1/2 - 2/3 head of cabbage
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    Carrots(3)/Celery(2)/Onion(1)/Bell pepper(1)/Any veggies that need used
    3-4 tsp chicken/vegetable stock base or bouillon cubes x 3
    optional: envelope onion mushroom soup mix
    Seasonings to your taste - I usually use pepper, salt, basil (1 Tbsp), oregano (1 Tbsp), garlic/garlic powder
    Enough water to cover all your veggies - about 8 cups

Chop up all the veggies. Throw your ingredients minus the meat into a pot, stir to combine, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 30-45 minutes, until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Check seasonings. Add more if necessary.
    Throw your meat in and simmer another 10-15 minutes. Done!
    This makes a HUGE batch of soup - about 14 2-cup servings - and is between 150-200 calories per serving, depending on the protein you use. Tons of nutrition and fiber. Package a week's worth and freeze the rest for later in the month.

I love doing this because it takes very little time to pull together, and the ingredients are cheap and usually on-hand. You can adapt this to add whatever veggie needs to be used; I often throw in chopped zucchini that's starting to get soft or the dregs of frozen veggie bags, like cauliflower or broccoli.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Kuzofruit wrote: »
    Cheap and nutritious recipe. My current lunch is a banana.

If you have a microwave, then soup. (Can't get much cheaper than a large batch of soup. Don't forget to include beans - high fiber along with protein will help you feel full).
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas! Thank you for sharing :) I also enjoy brown rice with ground turkey or chicken or turkey sausage links with veggies and a little soy sauce. Super filling!
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of the lunches I have sometimes:

Rice with eggs: 460 calories
    - 90g uncooked rice: 320 calories
    - 100g eggs: 140 calories

Salad: 376 calories
    - 0.5 lbs raw spinach: 52 calories
    - 8 oz. roma tomatoes: 44 calories
    - 28g Mozzarella shredded Cheese: 80 calories
    - 100g eggs: 140 calories
    - 4 TBSP Light Zesty Italian Dressing: 60 calories

Flour Tortilla "Pizza": 259 calories
    - 49g Tortilla: 140 calories
    - 50g Pasta Sauce - 39 calories
    - 28g Mozzarella shredded cheese: 80 calories

Chicken Sandwich: 370 calories
    - 50g bread: 130 calories
    - 68g Breaded chicken patty: 170 calories
    - 50g egg: 70 calories

Sweet Peas: 378 calories
    - 425g Sweet Peas: 238 calories
    - 14g Margarine: 70 calories
    - 50g egg: 70 calories

Perhaps not the most nutritious always, but all are yummy ^_^
  • norahkathleen
    norahkathleen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Another idea...one of our local grocery stores has bags of almost expired produce for $1. For example, the other day I picked up five zucchini/$1, three red/yellow bell peppers/$1, etc. I have never seen any that have gone bad, they are just ready to eat so do not have as much shelf life left (can't sit at home for another two weeks probably) but since i am buying them to eat that is not an issue!
    I get almost all of my veggies this way but it is not my usual grocery store. I decided to suggest it to the store i usually go to and they were happy to do the same. it saves them from throwing things away. Might be worth a shot, and it saves me a lot of money on produce!
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another idea...one of our local grocery stores has bags of almost expired produce for $1. For example, the other day I picked up five zucchini/$1, three red/yellow bell peppers/$1, etc. I have never seen any that have gone bad, they are just ready to eat so do not have as much shelf life left (can't sit at home for another two weeks probably) but since i am buying them to eat that is not an issue!
    I get almost all of my veggies this way but it is not my usual grocery store. I decided to suggest it to the store i usually go to and they were happy to do the same. it saves them from throwing things away. Might be worth a shot, and it saves me a lot of money on produce!

Wow! What a deal!! I should look around to see if any local stores are doing the same.
  • SammysMommy3
    SammysMommy3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually
    Buy in bulk any kind of chicken boil and shred goes great for
    Salads , with 1/4 cup white rice rice cause sum times brown rice is expensive, chicken wraps.
    Buy frozen greens , can green beans fresh veggies wen on sale..
    Extra lean Hamburger paties turned in to salbury stakes