Arm/shoulder exercises without weights

Options
fitmek
fitmek Posts: 277 Member
Hi all!
I am on the treadmill for 45 minutes to an hour most days of the week. But, that's not helping my upper body look "decent". Every time I lift even light weights or do push ups, the fiber cystic tissue in my chest makes everything so incredibly sore for days.
Any suggestions for defining my arms and shoulders that won't cause the fiber cystic tissue to flare up and hurt really bad?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    fitmek wrote: »
    Hi all!
    I am on the treadmill for 45 minutes to an hour most days of the week. But, that's not helping my upper body look "decent". Every time I lift even light weights or do push ups, the fiber cystic tissue in my chest makes everything so incredibly sore for days.
    Any suggestions for defining my arms and shoulders that won't cause the fiber cystic tissue to flare up and hurt really bad?

Do you have a health condition or are you getting DOMS(delayed onset Muscle Soreness)?

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    "fiber cystic tissue"? As in Cystic Fibrosis?

Talk with your doctor and work with a sports physician or physical therapist to determine what exercises are safe for you if you have a medical condition.

Soreness is fine as long as it is not due to injury but medical complications are another thing altogether.
  • fitmek
    Options
    Hi all!

Do you have a health condition or are you getting DOMS(delayed onset Muscle Soreness)?

No....fiber cystic tissue feels like big lumps of tissue ---it's not harmful, but it gets very sore, very fast when the muscles around it are engaged.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It seems like all horizontal pressing is out. Try overhead presses and see how that goes. For back you can do rows or lat pull downs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried PiYo?
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It seems like all horizontal pressing is out. Try overhead presses and see how that goes. For back you can do rows or lat pull downs.

This is great advice on exercise selection and I would include chin-ups/pull-ups and dips (different angle so it might not hurt as bad) if you can manage them, but again clear it with your doctor.
  • fitmek
    Options

Good call on the rows and lat pull. I actually remember not being bothered by these when I had a gym membership. Is there anyway to do them at home?

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Good call on the rows and lat pull. I actually remember not being bothered by these when I had a gym membership. Is there anyway to do them at home?

Do you have a sturdy table? You can pull from underneath & do bodyweight rows. If you have any dumbells or make shift weights you can do bent over rows. Could probably set up a set of bands to do rows & pull downs.