Too much protein??

Options
I keep going over my protein "allowance." Will this hinder weight loss? I am under everything else. I eat what I believe to be healthy foods. Fruits, veggies, lean protien, whole grains. I am working out at least 5 times a week for 30-60 minutes.
I haven't seen much of a loss, but I've only been at it for a couple of weeks so I am sure it is too soon to tell. Just wondering if the high protein will affect my goals?

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    That's not a limit, that's a minimum. The fiber number is also a minimum. I have found eating lots of protein has helped my weight loss.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Eating more protein wouldn't hinder/hurt/prevent weight loss as long as you're within your daily calorie limits.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I usually go way over in my protein and fiber. As PP said, those are minimums, so you're fine. I just always try to be way under in carbs and sodium.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    How much over? Excessive protein is not great on the kidneys, but if you're working with weights, you are probably fine, as the muscles need it for repair. Plus, I've heard that 3 lbs. in two weeks is about right for healthy weight loss. We all wish it would just melt away faster, it's human nature.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I go over on my protein almost everyday. Especially on days whenever I hit up the gym and drink my protein shake afterwards. It hasn't hindered my weight loss at all.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    MFP has a really high carb allowance and horribly low protein allowance, you need to change your percentages. If you are working out and doing strength training you need to eat a lot of protein and it will only help you. I try to eat more protein than carbs and it has helped me a lot :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Your goal may be too low. Try 25 or 30% of your diet. And yes, it's a minimum.
  • carieeng
    carieeng Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eating lots of protein has helped me bigtime. Good luck!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    HOW are you guys doing this? I thought i ate adequate protein but i am at about HALF every day. Pretty sure at my age I need more protein. I am TRYING to eat healthy and still can't hit it - IF I eat more cheese, I also add fat (which I am trying to cut back)
    is there a website with high protein suggestions?
  • carisatterwhite
    carisatterwhite Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, that helps.
    When I workout I do cardio and weights. My protein is usually only over the recommended by 10-30 grams. I am hoping to build a little muscle, so the protein should help right?
  • carisatterwhite
    Options
    HOW are you guys doing this? I thought i ate adequate protein but i am at about HALF every day. Pretty sure at my age I need more protein. I am TRYING to eat healthy and still can't hit it - IF I eat more cheese, I also add fat (which I am trying to cut back)
    is there a website with high protein suggestions?

I eat fish (salmon and tuna), grilled chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, even some cereals have high protein. I sometimes do a protein shake, but always try an find one with low sugar. I like muscle milk light.
    Definitley watch the cheese :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it...MFP has a low setting. I eat 85-100 grams of protein per day. My macros are set at 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. You can always adjust them to your preferance.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Muscles need protein for repair and with at least moderate weight training, more protein will not only be beneficial to building muscle. It is also less likely to be stored as fat. Increasing your protein and staying inside our calorie limits will cause you to decrease something else. I suggest keeping fat at a minimum of 20% of your daily cals. So reduce some carbs to compensate for extra protein. Drink lots of water and stay motivated mfp!
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    EAS Whey Protein Powder with water or skim milk has totally helped me with protein intake... also make sure grilled chicken, turkey, etc adds to that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm always over too. I've been trying to cut down some lately but it's really hard!
  • carisatterwhite
    Options
    Muscles need protein for repair and with at least moderate weight training, more protein will not only be beneficial to building muscle. It is also less likely to be stored as fat. Increasing your protein and staying inside our calorie limits will cause you to decrease something else. I suggest keeping fat at a minimum of 20% of your daily cals. So reduce some carbs to compensate for extra protein. Drink lots of water and stay motivated mfp!

Thanks! That is exactly the direction I needed. :smile: