Feeling shocked

Options
tinkertabs1
tinkertabs1 Posts: 4 Member
Hi I have been kidding myself for sometime about the amount of weight I have gained. I am the heaviest I have ever been weighing in at 14 stone 12lbs tonight. Feeling so down and disgusted with myself. My hubby commented how shocked he was at what I'd gone up too.
I can't lie, I know what my downfall is chocolate, wine and portion sizes have led me to this. So I have decided to take back control and count those calories. I'm hoping to get some support in here.

Replies

• Nicholas_39
    Nicholas_39 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It's good that you acknowledged it and are here, taking your first steps. Take it one step at a time and good luck!
  • strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey, just like the weight gain didn't happen overnight the weight loss also might be a journey but with the right recipes, portion size and exercise I'm sure you'll get to where you want to be! I have the biggest sweet tooth and dark chocolate helps me because it is more bitter so makes me eat less of it, good luck ! :)
  • tinkertabs1
    Options
    Hey, just like the weight gain didn't happen overnight the weight loss also might be a journey but with the right recipes, portion size and exercise I'm sure you'll get to where you want to be! I have the biggest sweet tooth and dark chocolate helps me because it is more bitter so makes me eat less of it, good luck ! :)

Thank you so much for the reply. I very determined. Hopefully I'll keep that way.
  • tinkertabs1
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It's good that you acknowledged it and are here, taking your first steps. Take it one step at a time and good luck!

Thank you
  • tinkertabs1
    Options
    Don't buy chocolate is my best advice

I'll keep that in mind!
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    welcome to the journey of the next u n heres my 2 cents;

1. buy a food scale (the most important u will need)
    2. set up a profile with an easy goal at first (start with .5 or 1lbs a week for the first 2 weeks to ease ur body into it). MFP will give u a daily allowance so u dont need to figure it out yourself.
    3. LOG everything u eat EVERYDAY
    4. only eat back half of the calories u burned at most if u pick up exercising
    5. join an online challenge (optional)
    6. ditch any non supportive friends
    7. donate all junk foods (ASAP)
    8. dont tell people that u r trying to lose weight coz most will tell u to EAT MORE (smile n ignore them if they do but do not give in coz u have a goal n they dont)
    9. google search for recipes if needed

GOOD LUCK
  • Nicholas_39
    Options
    Someone who just joined and seems to be a beginner with all of this can easily be overwhelmed with paragraphs full of advice and lists of things they should or must do EVERYDAY or ASAP!!! I know your intentions are good, but I genuinely don't see how all of that is helpful to someone who didn't even ask for it, and seems confused already.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been kidding myself for sometime about the amount of weight I have gained. I am the heaviest I have ever been weighing in at 14 stone 12lbs tonight. Feeling so down and disgusted with myself. My hubby commented how shocked he was at what I'd gone up too.
    I can't lie, I know what my downfall is chocolate, wine and portion sizes have led me to this. So I have decided to take back control and count those calories. I'm hoping to get some support in here.

When I joined, I was where you are. I was 212lbs. The heaviest I've ever been. What I learned is that losing weight can be hard, but it's not complicated. Just log your food accurately and stay within your calorie limit. That is what works. Every time I started gaining weight back is because I stopped logging because I thought I could eyeball portion size. Then I would start weighing and logging again and the weight would start to drop again.

So it can be hard in the fact that it takes constant commitment. It's not complicated in the fact that if you just weigh and log your food, you will drop the weight. I'm 20 lbs down so far. You can do it also. Just know that you ARE strong. Good luck to you.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The thing is the more you tell yourself you can't have something the more you will crave it. You will lose weight as long as you are in a deficit. You don't have to cut out chocolate or wine. You will have good days and bad but the main thing is persistence. How badly do you really want to change? It's possible you can do this!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Three options:
    1) you can cut out chocolate entirely,
    2) you can cut out wine entirely, or
    3) you can reduce the amount of chocolate and wine you have on a daily/weekly basis.

Any of the above can work, but pick the one that will work for you.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Be gentle with yourself, you may need to try a number of different ways, until you work out what works for you.
  • Blakes_Momm13
    Blakes_Momm13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    welcome to the journey of the next u n heres my 2 cents;

1. buy a food scale (the most important u will need)
    2. set up a profile with an easy goal at first (start with .5 or 1lbs a week for the first 2 weeks to ease ur body into it). MFP will give u a daily allowance so u dont need to figure it out yourself.
    3. LOG everything u eat EVERYDAY
    4. only eat back half of the calories u burned at most if u pick up exercising
    5. join an online challenge (optional)
    6. ditch any non supportive friends
    7. donate all junk foods (ASAP)
    8. dont tell people that u r trying to lose weight coz most will tell u to EAT MORE (smile n ignore them if they do but do not give in coz u have a goal n they dont)
    9. google search for recipes if needed

GOOD LUCK

Very good advice!!!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Someone who just joined and seems to be a beginner with all of this can easily be overwhelmed with paragraphs full of advice and lists of things they should or must do EVERYDAY or ASAP!!! I know your intentions are good, but I genuinely don't see how all of that is helpful to someone who didn't even ask for it, and seems confused already.

I get what you are saying, and I agree AND disagree. Mainstream dieting articles and weightloss plans are chock full of advice and tips and dos and donts, overwhelming rules and regulations, most of them unnecessary, too strict, and usually contradictory. The advice and instructions given here, on the other hand, are sensible, realistic, effective, necessary, sustainable and gentle. They will serve to clear up confusion, remove worry, and give the person their lost autonomy back, along with normal weight and improved health markers.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

maybe i should have said something useful n less confusing like this

"awesome that u r here. we get u n we all believe u can do it! GOOD LUCK!!!"
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

Some great tips in the other responses. I'd add...

1. Get a food scale to make sure that you're logging accurately.
    2. This is a marathon, not a sprint. There are going to be times where you don't eat well, don't let that derail you. The occasional bad meal or even bad day aren't the end of the world. Don't get discouraged by it.
    3. Don't completely eliminate your favorite treats, I find that this just leads to binging. Plan yourself the occasional indulgence and log it.
    4. Don't obsess over the scale. You're going to have plateau's on your journey. Remember that your weight fluctuates during the day and based on your level of hydration, so try to weigh yourself at a consistent time and day of week.
  • Nicholas_39
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »

maybe i should have said something useful n less confusing like this

"awesome that u r here. we get u n we all believe u can do it! GOOD LUCK!!!"

There is a middle ground, which can be found in many other people's responses here.
    The truth is that weight loss is not all that complex. Just as Yvette suggests:

... What I learned is that losing weight can be hard, but it's not complicated. Just log your food accurately and stay within your calorie limit. That is what works.

So it can be hard in the fact that it takes constant commitment. It's not complicated in the fact that if you just weigh and log your food, you will drop the weight. I'm 20 lbs down so far. You can do it also. Just know that you ARE strong. Good luck to you.

When you are just starting out, you need to grasp the basics. And the basics are - stay under maintenance. Everything else is just a means to be able to meet that basic principle. This can be easily overlooked when people add a ton of needless must-s and have to-s that don't matter to everyone.