Cardio for injured knee

tmosen
tmosen Posts: 3 Member
Looking for Cardio suggestions outside of running-my right knee acts up just a few minutes into a jog and if I push through it, I pay for it for days. Thanks!

Replies

• moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Walk, if your knee can take it, swim, or bike.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    My knees are destroyed from a car accident, so for cardio I use the elliptical, the bike and the row machine. None of them irritate my knees and I have very bad injuries. Hope this helps!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Fix your knee, see a physio
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Fix your knee, see a physio

This. Have you considered trying to resolve your knee issues?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Consider an elliptical or similar machine. My Bowflex M5 has pretty much 0 impact on my knees. After running/walking for a week or two in a row in the spring/summer I generally switch to it when my left knee starts to act up, and I use it all winter without issue. It's real similar to an elliptical, probably a cross between a stair stepper and an elliptical, but an elliptical should have the same effect (no impact on the knees).
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    What does your orthopedist and/or physical therapist recommend you do?
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    I'll echo what everyone else is saying. Consult your doctor or a physical therapist. I'm on my way to one this morning, as I have a shear injury in my patellar cartilage. Since I spend a lot of time hiking and working out, it's cramping my style, and I am looking forward to finding out what I can do without too much pain!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    belly dance - low impact, totally able to get your heart racing
  • tmosen
    tmosen Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks all-sounds like I need to start the process for getting it looked at. Never had an injury like this-will consult my PCP in edition to trying the elliptical.