Logging your exercise

Is it smart to not log your exercise? I exercise a lot, this morning I burned 800 calories during cardio and logged it but all my nutrient numbers went up. Wouldn't I lose weight faster if I don't log my exercise and just stick to the recommended nutrients and calories?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Is it smart to not log your exercise? I exercise a lot, this morning I burned 800 calories during cardio and logged it but all my nutrient numbers went up. Wouldn't I lose weight faster if I don't log my exercise and just stick to the recommended nutrients and calories?

Yes, you would lose "weight" faster by undereating. Keep in mind weight loss is fat+lean muscle mass. Larger deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass.

Most people want a lower body fat % - but to keep more lean muscle you want a moderate deficit, adequate protein and resistance/strength training.

Keep in mind though that calorie burns are often inflated. Most people eat back 50-75% and adjust up or down after several weeks depending upon how weight loss is progressing.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    How much weight do you need to lose? Are you obese?

You can still log your exercise, just don't eat more to offset those calories burned.
  • BigChune8788
    BigChune8788 Posts: 10 Member
    Not Obese. 6ft 216. Goal weight is 195.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Not Obese. 6ft 216. Goal weight is 195.

Closer to goal, then definitely don't push for the largest deficit possible. Obese people can have larger deficits. If you don't have a strength training regimen start one sooner rather than later. Strength training doesn't burn nearly as many calories as cardio, but it shapes the result.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    How fast do you want to drop the 21 pounds, and have you talked to your doctor about this?
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    I would still keep up with the calorie goal in mind. You don't want a huge deficit because then you'll be losing muscle mass as well. If your exercises are making you eat more, I find that a good thing in my book. As long as you still stay under your caloric goal, you will still meet your goal at a healthy rate.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Wouldn't I lose weight faster if I don't log my exercise and just stick to the recommended nutrients and calories?

You'd lose weight faster if you stopped eating your weekend calories. You'd lose weight even faster if you amputated your arms and legs. Does that mean these are good ideas...?