Purple dark circles

Options
idk319
idk319 Posts: 33 Member
I have developed dark circles under my eyes ever since I started dieting. What does this mean and how can I make it go away?
I eat leafy greens, lean meats, fruits, nuts but just less of everything

Replies

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure if dieting would cause this. Since you've started, have you slept less, or maybe slept the same amount and you're more active? that may the cause.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    it can be hereditary and it can also be caused from allergies.its hard to tell what it is. if its something new bring it to your drs attention.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check how much you are sleeping, how hydrated you are, and if you are getting enough calories.

If all of those are okay, it's probably genetic and you should try a nice peachy color corrector. Works so well on my skin!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day do you eat?
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone, allergies,rest,hydration, etc,are you going to bed hungry and maybe not sleeping good?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Maybe you have lost weight in your face and the underlying veins around your eyes are more visible than you're used to (as in maybe you lost fat from below your eyes). It can be common to lose weight in the face first.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I get that too when I'm dieting! I don't know why. They were so sunken and dark I couldn't even cover it up with makeup. Even my husband said I wasn't looking well (and he never comments on my appearance). I've eaten at maintenance/surplus the last 4 days (sort of a screw up on my part after 3 really stressful weeks) and lo and behold, my eyes look much better today. I agree that I'm prone to dark circles due to genetics, allergies, etc., but it's much more prominent when I'm dieting. Wish I knew why!
  • idk319
    idk319 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories a day, no exercise and I wake up starving.
    I also haven't been sleeping well and get hunger pangs before and after sleep
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you're starving, may I ask if you're male or female, how tall you are and how much you weigh? Did you make your weekly weight loss goal too aggressive and perhaps you need to eat more? Do you need to choose a different variety of foods to better help satiate the hunger?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for some bloodwork. Make sure your thyroid, liver, iron checks out.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have permenant dark circles. Actually, my left eye looks permenantly bruised it's that dark. No idea why, but it isn't from dieting.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    If you are eating EXACTLY the same foods and no new ones (not even new brands), then it's probably not an allergy shiner (dark circles under the eyes due to allergies).

But it is quite possible to be very low in other nutrients, and anemia can cause dark circles. Also, the body will make you feel starving if you have too few calories OR if you are getting too few of certain nutrients. You might want to take your list of foods over to a site like http://nutritiondata.self.com and work out how many nutrients you ARE getting. It may be that you are seriously low in some you hadn't thought of, you know?

And the calorie drop may be too stressful for your body - some of us simply have to lose weight a bit more slowly, that's all. :-)