Best Low sugar sweets ideas

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
So my husband eats ice cream or some kind of sweet everyday, what are some good low sugar alternatives that are not just eating a piece of fruit.

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Why low sugar?

Halo Top is always a good bet. Keto fat bombs have a lot of flavor varieties you can make to hit your cravings. I top a bowl of strawberries with some good, dark chocolate sauce and a quick squirt of whipped cream - looks incredibly decadent but you can easily make it with less than 100 calories. I also like nibbling on Lindt 70% Dark Chocolate and wines like Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet all have less than 1g of sugar per 4-5oz pour.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Halo Top! That stuff is a goddamn miracle.

Protein fluff: Google it. Yum.

Similar to Protein fluff, I like to make Protein Mousse. Chocolate protein powder, a healthy dose of cocoa powder, unsweetened almond milk. Whip in the Kitchenaide for 5 minutes then enjoy.

Sugar-free jello/pudding.

Berries topped with freshly whipped cream.

80-90% Dark Chocolate.

And you could sub out sugar with erythritol for almost any baking recipe. It's my favourite artificial sweetener, no weird aftertaste and doesn't cause any nasty bowel side effects.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I recently found (and fell in love with) those little pudding cups they sell at the grocery story. I havent eaten one since maybe highschool? Anyways they are literally perfect. I just got the normal ones, 110 calories and soo good. They also have sugar free ones, that come in about 60 calories, but I havent tried those!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My dad loves the sugar free Jello puddings. I haven't had one in years, so can't vouch for them personally, though.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    His doctor recommended it due to some increasing health issues.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Does your husband care? I mean, does he care enough to do anything about what the doctor said?
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and sugar-free jell-o powder :) i used to eat that stuff up
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar free jello almost every day as a sweet treat!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Yes Jerome he cares
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Some ideas that worked well for us:
    1. One thing we did was get an electric ice cream maker (usually between $20-$40). This is the best thing we EVER did in terms of making healthy snacks. Because it basically lets you make instant, simple ices and sorbets. We just get ripe fruit that is soft and blend it up in a blender until smooth, or get firmer fruit (like apples) that is sweet and cook it until soft and blend it up...and then just pour that right into the ice cream maker and make it a sorbet. As long as the fruit is ripe, we don't need to add sweetener, and it's quite nice and tasty and sweet, but no added sugar to it. :-)

We've done ones with super ripe cantaloupe plus a teeny bit of lemon juice, watermelon with mint (or mint and a little plain yogurt - got the idea from a watermelon salad using mint and goat cheese), cooked apple with nutmeg and cinnamon (it turns this pretty caramel color and, since it's cooked, it tastes like baked apple sorbet or something - really nice), and so on.

2. If you have a dehydrator, dehydrated watermelon is awesome. It really shrinks down, but it tastes a bit like this intense, sweet watermelon gummy. Also dehydrated fruit in general is a nice sweet snack.

3. Some folks I know from China never ate sweets, but instead would have a very sweet dish as part of the meal, you know? Like, say, sweet and sour pork, or a salad with a very sweet dressing, or with fruit as well as veggies, you know?

4. Another treat nice for summer was a nice yogurt (often vanilla) mixed with pureed fruit that we froze into popsicles. Tastes great - we either did layers, or mixed it all together. (Yeah, frozen treats were a bit thing for us when looking for sweet. ^_^).

5. Stevia leaves - if you grow a stevia plant, the leaves are nice and sweet and make a great addition to fruit salads to make them taste even sweeter.