Best Meal Prep Recipes for Weight Loss!

2»

Replies

• NanceePants11
    NanceePants11 Posts: 34 Member
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    This is my usual lunch. I make it in the Instant Pot now to save some time.

Ingredients:

2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (I used three)
    1 ½ cups chopped red onion
    1 ¼ cups chopped red bell pepper
    ¾ cup chicken broth
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    2 Tbsp chopped chipotle chile in adobo (I add more)
    6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 (28oz) fire roasted tomatoes
    1 (4 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
    Salt and pepper
    cilantro

Instructions
    Add everything except the cilantro in the crockpot and stir it up
    Cook on low for 6-7 hours
    Shred chicken

*All of that makes the crockpot really full. After I shred the chicken I add a lot more broth. I also add a bunch of spinach, zucchini, green beans and cauliflower and put in on high for an hour if fresh, 5 minutes if frozen. Add the cilantro.

This makes anywhere from 5 to 6 huge lunches.

Thank you!! I'll make this one sometime :)
  • NanceePants11
    My go to is chicken burritos. I put 2lbs of chicken breasts in a crock pot with a packet of chicken taco seasoning and half a cup of salsa. About 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. I then shred it up, and cook for another half an hour. I put in on whole wheat tortillas with a bit of refried beans and cheese, wrap it in a paper towel and then dump them into freezer bags. Then whenever I need something quick to make, I can take it out and nuke it in the paper towel. I usually do it on "express defrost" until cooked.

Another good one is a quinoa and chickpea bowl. I get a bag of frozen quinoa and kale, cook it and add some sundried tomatoes in oil, herbed feta cheese crumbles, salt and pepper, and couple squirts lemon juice,and a can of drained chickpeas. It's best eaten cold and lasts a few days in the fridge.

I also found a great and tasty "egg roll in a bowl" recipe here, which is also fabulous as leftovers. http://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2015/08/24/sausage-egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

Thank you so much for your recipes :)
    Does the chickpea bowl keep you full for a long time?
  • NanceePants11
    BasMIOK wrote: »
    Salmon filet - 12-15 minutes in the oven at 450°. I like to season with pink Himalayan salt, dill, fresh ground black pepper and a lemon wedge on top. I prepare some brown rice by putting 2 cups water in pan bring to boil add 1 cup brown rice. Then after about 10 minutes I reduce heat to low and let simmer, careful not to remove lid so rice steams. Usually 15-20 min total cook time. Then I like to grill veggies such as zucchini, asparagus, yellow squash and maybe some onions and peppers. Season to taste. Olive oil spray if you like.. some times I switch it up instead of rice I will peel sweet potatoes and chop them up and steam them and then throw them in the mixer with a small amount of brown sugar and cinnamon and maybe add a little 2% milk. They make excellent creamed potatoes. Hope this helps!

This is perfect, i love salmon and I've never made it before but I'll try it! Thanks for all your helpful recipes they sound great
  • NanceePants11
    I've been looking too! Not a lot out there besides chicken rice and broccoli/green beans. I also do the Chipotle chicken in the instant pot. It's really good. I just posted a recipe for pureed soup that I love to make, makes 6 servings.

I also make oatmeal ahead. I do the Hungry Girl 'growing oatmeal' method, so you use old fashioned oats and extra water. Very filling.

Anyway, following for when someone unleashes the holy Grail of meal prep.

Yeah chicken is the most popular but it's good to get a new way of preparing it. I've lost imagination and wanted to get new info lol. I'll have to look up the hungry girl growing oats. Have you tried overnight oats?
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2017
    ngarci11 wrote: »
    My go to is chicken burritos. I put 2lbs of chicken breasts in a crock pot with a packet of chicken taco seasoning and half a cup of salsa. About 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. I then shred it up, and cook for another half an hour. I put in on whole wheat tortillas with a bit of refried beans and cheese, wrap it in a paper towel and then dump them into freezer bags. Then whenever I need something quick to make, I can take it out and nuke it in the paper towel. I usually do it on "express defrost" until cooked.

Another good one is a quinoa and chickpea bowl. I get a bag of frozen quinoa and kale, cook it and add some sundried tomatoes in oil, herbed feta cheese crumbles, salt and pepper, and couple squirts lemon juice,and a can of drained chickpeas. It's best eaten cold and lasts a few days in the fridge.

I also found a great and tasty "egg roll in a bowl" recipe here, which is also fabulous as leftovers. http://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2015/08/24/sausage-egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

Yes! It makes 3 servings (at least for me it does), and one serving contains 344 calories, 6grams of fiber, and 13 grams of protein (as much as half a cup of egg whites). You can add extra veggies like cucumber or spinach to bulk it up. Here's the exact recipe I use, but feel free to change it however you want:
    1 package, Frozen Quinoa, Brown Rice and Kale
    1 can, Chickpeas
    2 ounce, Crumbled Feta
    3 tbsp, Sundried Tomato With Herbs In Oil
    Lemon juice (couple squirts)
    Salt and pepper
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I have three lunch time staples (all together they are under 300 calories and make enough for 5 days):
    1. Sauted mushrooms (8 oz king oyster or shittake) with prewashed pkg greens (kale, collards, chard, spinach) flavored with lemon, salt and *dressed* with high quality olive oil. (Made on Sunday for the week). I actually just chop the mushrooms and put them in a frying pan on very low heat and let them sweat in their own juices and add the greens when they are done and toss them and let them cook until the greens are wilted.
    2. Plain whole milk Greek yogurt (160 gms) topped with (1 TBSP) shredded unsweetened coconut and added probiotics. (Made the night before)
    3. "Blended" veggies (parsley, cilantro, cucumbers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, onions, spices, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Amounts vary but generally 5 cups (Made on Sunday for the week)

I put the blended veggies topped with the mushrooms / greens in a 16 oz glass jam jar. The yogurt goes into another one by itself.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I do a lot of meal prep, but my fave is chicken burrito bowls.

I use the following recipes:

Rice - http://www.skinnytaste.com/chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice-4-pts/
    Corn Salsa (I also add cumin to this recipe) - http://www.skinnytaste.com/corn-salsa-with-lime/
    Chicken - Take the first six ingredients and whirr them together in a blender or food processor. Pour into a gallon ziploc bag, add chicken, mush it all together to marinate. I let mine marinate for at least 4 hours, but I have done overnight or 8 hours, with no problems. Then just grill the chicken and cut into pieces! I use the below recipe for 10 servings.

1 fruit, Lime Juice - 1 Fruit
    0.25 cup, Oil - Olive
    1 tbsp, Tomato Paste
    1 container (6 tbsp ea.), Taco Seasoning
    0.25 container (12 tbsp. (32g) ea.), Adobo Chipotle Peppers
    1 cup water
    2.50 lb(s), Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

Then I just add some sour cream and 1 oz. Monterey Jack cheese. Photo has the bowl with chicken and rice, small ball jars with salsa and ziploc baggies with cheese:
    aglqqwaib02q.jpg

Nice!!! That looks good! Do you have any problems with the chicken becoming dry after being stored?

Not really, but I think when you add the salsa the extra juices kind of help take care of that. I usually make these on Saturday or Sunday and my husband is still eating them the following Friday.
  • NanceePants11
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I have three lunch time staples (all together they are under 300 calories and make enough for 5 days):
    1. Sauted mushrooms (8 oz king oyster or shittake) with prewashed pkg greens (kale, collards, chard, spinach) flavored with lemon, salt and *dressed* with high quality olive oil. (Made on Sunday for the week). I actually just chop the mushrooms and put them in a frying pan on very low heat and let them sweat in their own juices and add the greens when they are done and toss them and let them cook until the greens are wilted.
    2. Plain whole milk Greek yogurt (160 gms) topped with (1 TBSP) shredded unsweetened coconut and added probiotics. (Made the night before)
    3. "Blended" veggies (parsley, cilantro, cucumbers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, onions, spices, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Amounts vary but generally 5 cups (Made on Sunday for the week)

I put the blended veggies topped with the mushrooms / greens in a 16 oz glass jam jar. The yogurt goes into another one by itself.

I've never tried anything like this! Thanks for the recipe!
  • NanceePants11

Yes! It makes 3 servings (at least for me it does), and one serving contains 344 calories, 6grams of fiber, and 13 grams of protein (as much as half a cup of egg whites). You can add extra veggies like cucumber or spinach to bulk it up. Here's the exact recipe I use, but feel free to change it however you want:
    1 package, Frozen Quinoa, Brown Rice and Kale
    1 can, Chickpeas
    2 ounce, Crumbled Feta
    3 tbsp, Sundried Tomato With Herbs In Oil
    Lemon juice (couple squirts)
    Salt and pepper

Thank you for the recipe! I will save it :)
  • NanceePants11
    I do a lot of meal prep, but my fave is chicken burrito bowls.

I use the following recipes:

Rice - http://www.skinnytaste.com/chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice-4-pts/
    Corn Salsa (I also add cumin to this recipe) - http://www.skinnytaste.com/corn-salsa-with-lime/
    Chicken - Take the first six ingredients and whirr them together in a blender or food processor. Pour into a gallon ziploc bag, add chicken, mush it all together to marinate. I let mine marinate for at least 4 hours, but I have done overnight or 8 hours, with no problems. Then just grill the chicken and cut into pieces! I use the below recipe for 10 servings.

1 fruit, Lime Juice - 1 Fruit
    0.25 cup, Oil - Olive
    1 tbsp, Tomato Paste
    1 container (6 tbsp ea.), Taco Seasoning
    0.25 container (12 tbsp. (32g) ea.), Adobo Chipotle Peppers
    1 cup water
    2.50 lb(s), Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

Then I just add some sour cream and 1 oz. Monterey Jack cheese. Photo has the bowl with chicken and rice, small ball jars with salsa and ziploc baggies with cheese:
    aglqqwaib02q.jpg

Nice!!! That looks good! Do you have any problems with the chicken becoming dry after being stored?

Not really, but I think when you add the salsa the extra juices kind of help take care of that. I usually make these on Saturday or Sunday and my husband is still eating them the following Friday.

Thank you so much!!
  • NanceePants11
    nichell88 wrote: »
    Slow cooker cilantro lime chicken. I usually eat it with half a whole wheat tortilla, but can eat it by itself. It's delicious and easy to plan with because you can make a whole batch to prep with

Alot of people have told me to try slow cooker recipes. Is it more about the conveince than anything else?
    I always have to wash like 6 pans when I finish cooking and the kitchen becomes a mess lll
    But thank you :)
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Everyday for lunch I have 1 cup brown rice, 4 small frozen meatballs (I use Rosina) and an over easy egg on top. If I have fresh veggies I'll add them. Sounds a little strange, but really yum and lower calorie.
  • kathykatkitty
    kathykatkitty Posts: 61 Member
    Just this weekend I marinated several chicken breasts from a marinating packet but I left out the olive oil to cut the calories down. I roasted some zucchini and sweet potato with a wonderful salt-free seasoning.
    Summer is coming up so I like to make a lot of grain salads, quinoa, barley, wild rice. Cook up the grain add any kind of vegetables that you like and any type of salad dressing that you like. My favorite is the Greek version with some feta cheese and Kalamata olives.
    Vegetarian lasagna is great as well, it keeps very well in the fridge and reheats nicely in the microwave.
    Turkey chili is another one of my favorites. Kraft makes a low-fat cheddar cheese that is actually pretty amazing and close to regular cheese.
    I also make overnight oats. Equal parts of old fashioned oatmeal to your choice of liquid comma I add in one tablespoon of Chia seeds your choice of sweetener fruits and nuts. I make them up to five days in advance.