Losing Weight; Boobs Getting Bigger

Options
IronManAvengerGirl
IronManAvengerGirl Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey y'all,
I'm new to myfitnesspal but wanted to ask a question. I've been working on losing weight for about a year now and am happy that I have lost about 20-25 pounds. (My weight fluctuates from 150-155.) However, I have noticed lately that my boobs look bigger. Now I know this may not sound like a problem if people want big boobs, but it is a problem for me. Here's why: before I lost the weight my boobs were around a D or DD cup. Now that I've lost the wight my boobs are still a D or DD cup (they didn't really chance except for losing a little side fat and upper chest fat.) The thing is, I have never liked having big boobs because they make me look bigger in clothes, they make clothing fit me awkwardly, they cause me back and neck pain, they're heavy, and I am a dancer and they look (and feel) very awkward and uncomfortable flapping around in the breeze when I'm trying to dance. One of my biggest hopes in losing weight was for me to go down a couple cup sizes. I realize that because of genetics (my grandma is big-busted) that I may never get down to an A or B like I really want, however the fact that I noticed new stretch marks and that my boobs are looking even rounder and longer (like almost disproportionate to the rest of my body) is becoming discouraging. Help please and thank you in advance!
*Side note: I am not pregnant so I know it can't be that.

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all,
    I'm new to myfitnesspal but wanted to ask a question. I've been working on losing weight for about a year now and am happy that I have lost about 20-25 pounds. (My worth fluctuates from 150-155.) However, I have noticed lately that my boobs look bigger. Now I know this may not sound like a problem if people want big boobs, but it is a problem for me. Here's why: before I lost the weight my boobs were around a D or DD cup. Now that I've lost the wight my boobs are still a D or DD cup (they didn't really chance except for losing a little side fat and upper chest fat.) The thing is, I have never liked having big boobs because they make me look bigger in clothes, they make clothing fit me awkwardly, they cause me back and neck pain, they're heavy, and I am a dancer and they look (and feel) very awkward and uncomfortable flapping around in the breeze when I'm trying to dance. One of my biggest hopes in losing weight was for me to go down a couple cup sizes. I realize that because of genetics (my grandma is big-busted) that I may never get down to an A or B like I really want, however the fact that I noticed new stretch marks and that my boobs are looking even rounder and longer (like almost disproportionate to the rest of my body) is becoming discouraging. Help please and thank you in advance!
    *Side note: I am not pregnant so I know it can't be that.

Maybe they just LOOK bigger because you're smaller? You said they are actually the same size. Possibly a tad smaller since you were a D-DD and now you're a D, and you did specify possibly losing some side/upper chest fat.

When I first lose weight my belly always looks bigger to me- but that's just because I'm losing in other places and proportionally the belly (or your boobs) now stick out more-even if it's the exact same size. Give it a bit more time, maybe they'll reduce. Unfortunately it is mostly genetics. Look down the board a bit to an amusing thread about the opposite problem. I'm sure aesthetically it doesn't look how you think. Physically I can't help, I'm of the itty bitty titty committee
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just LOOK bigger because you're smaller? You said they are actually the same size. Possibly a tad smaller since you were a D-DD and now you're a D, and you did specify possibly losing some side/upper chest fat.

This. They may just look bigger if your belly is smaller. I also wouldn't expect your cup size to change dramatically. My cup size didn't start going down until I'd lost about 90 pounds or so, but my band size had already dropped a lot. Since cup size is determined relative to band size, my boobs were actually getting smaller; they were just maintaining the same proportion relative to my ribcage. I went from a 40DDD to a 32DD. It does seem to depend a lot on your body, but many people here have stayed proportional (i.e., kept the same cup size) or gone down only a little. I don't think it's common to lose several cup sizes with a 20-25 lb. weight loss.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50lbs and working on the last 20. I have gone up in cup size as my boobs have not changed in size at all but the circumference just under them has shrunk considerably. I have gone from a 38C to a 32/34D. While it may seem they would look much bigger on my smaller frame getting fitted for a proper fitted bra actually has really helped my overall look. I still have lost many shirt sizes on this journey so I am smaller on top. I hope this helps you to realize it might be your own perception of how the girls look. :-)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are still working on losing weight, you may start to lose more as you get closer to goal. That was my experience. My cup size went from a B to a C and then only as I got further into the healthy zone for my height I started to shrink in that area.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Mine went down proportionally from a 38E to a 32E, I may end up a DD in the end. It seems to go band size, cupsize same then same band size down cup size for me. I don't mind either way they seem to balance the booty out a bit at least.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Get fitted for a decent bra. Try the subreddit a bra that fits. Might make a huge difference in how you look. That said they might never go away without a reduction.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Are you working your delts a lot? Maybe if you're building muscle underneath your breasts it has caused your size to go up. I work my deltoids a lot because of this effect.
  • justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    And because of the way bras are sized, if you've stayed the same or a similar cup size, they have gotten smaller. I've found that I just don't store fat in my breasts, since I've gone from a 40B to a 34DD. They haven't actually gotten any bigger, but as band size goes down, cup size goes up for the same cup volume. I've learned a lot about this in the past few years.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    They are not getting bigger
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I second the advice that you get a better, more supportive bra. I, too, am very busty, and active. Title Nine (you can order online) carries an amazing sports bra called The Last Resort Bra. I bought one and it completely keeps my breasts from bouncing during Zumba. A racerback style called Moving Comfort 7 Wonders Bra (sports bra) also does the trick for me. For everyday non-workout days, I was able to find some well-fitting bras by having professional bra fitters at Nordstrom and Soma steer me to some nice choices.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I lost fat around ribs, back, and sternum area and did a lot of heavy chest exercises. When I did my measurements, my band size went down and I went up to C cup. Darling hubby says I'm perkier. :)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    They may not be getting bigger, but if they stay the same size while the rest of you gets smaller, they will definitely look bigger by comparison. I lost weight and mine stayed the same volume (band size went down and cup size went up) until the very end. My bust measurement was the same for years, then I lost 2" in one month when I was only a couple lbs from my goal weight.

Are you still trying to lose weight? If so, you just might need to be patient. Good luck!
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    As a D to DD cup... I just want to say I sympathize...I would love to go down to even a C cup...but even when I was anorexic the D cup remained...so I have no hope to offer but I understand OP *hugs*
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was also hoping mine would reduce. They did not. Mine didn't get bigger but appeared more prominent as the rest of me got smaller. E.g. smaller waist, smaller chest, smaller stomach cause the appearance of larger breasts. Personally, when I was heavier, I didn't like my boobs cause I felt they added bulk. When I got smaller, I didn't mind it as they felt more proportioned. As you are getting smaller and used to your new body, you may find that different types of clothing help you to accentuate your figure best. x
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Since you've lost some weight on the sides, you probably need to go down a band size even though your cup size is the same. For instance, you might now be a 34 DD instead of a 36 D. Most of the support is from the band, not the shoulder straps, so your neck pain might go down if the weight of your breasts isn't relying on the straps. You'll find with a properly fitting bra you won't bounce as much, too.
  • ballet312
    ballet312 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So the bra issue is covered. Are you by chance doing a lot of pec exercises, I did at 1 point in my 20's and my chest looked ridiculous. I dance too, I'm 5 ft, 105 and was a 34D, now I'm a "c" and I feel better so I understand where you are coming from. I'd even like to have surgery if $ was no object to lift my chest after 2 kids and be a nice "B" cup. I hope you find a solution.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    They are not getting bigger

Unless she's pregnant.