I can't believe I've only just discovered these!!

Options
I've tried protein bars before but never really liked them, they really do taste like they're good for you. But not these 2, they taste just like a chocolate bar full of bad stuff, but they're low in carbs & sugars and great for protein. They're Fulfil Peanut & Caramel vitamin & protein bar, and Grenade Carb kills dark choc mint (with only 0.6g of suagr) it really tastes later an after dinner mint. I can't get enough of these 2 and will never need to eat a chocolate bar again.

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I love tons of protein bars myself. I recommend trying all you can even if you think you've found the perfect bar. You never know what you may find. The Fulfil protein bars look tasty, but I've never tried them. I personally am not a huge fan of Grenade Carb Killer bars. They're good, and I'd take a free bar, but I like other brands much better.
    Also, I sometimes feel the same way; I've chosen a protein bar over a chocolate bar several times.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've not tried the fulfil bars yet but I love carb killa bars.

You've tempted me to try the fulfil.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What is this bad stuff that is in chocolate bars but not your protein bars?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Where did you get them?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Now I just want a Snickers. LOL
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

Idk about OP, but for me, when I talk positively about choosing a protein bar over a candy bar, it's because a protein bar is more filling for around the same calories, is sometimes tastier, and/or helps me hit protein goals.

I get that but there's probably identical ingredients in the protein bars as there is in the candy. Sure, potentially in smaller quantities but there nonetheless.

I haven't looked extensively at protein bars, I picked up a few that were part of a "meal deal" thing in a shop and they were huge calorie bombs, more than a chocolate bar. So, for me, I'll take the Snickers, its macros aren't bad and I hit my protein elsewhere. YMMV.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I love almost all protein bars. I have to be choosy because I really like them to be no more than 210 calories but man...some of the 300-400 calories ones are bangin. Much prefer them to a cheap chocolate bar like snickers (maybe not to good chocolate)...better tasting and more filling.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Idk about OP, but for me, when I talk positively about choosing a protein bar over a candy bar, it's because a protein bar is more filling for around the same calories, is sometimes tastier, and/or helps me hit protein goals.

I get that but there's probably identical ingredients in the protein bars as there is in the candy. Sure, potentially in smaller quantities but there nonetheless.

I haven't looked extensively at protein bars, I picked up a few that were part of a "meal deal" thing in a shop and they were huge calorie bombs, more than a chocolate bar. So, for me, I'll take the Snickers, its macros aren't bad and I hit my protein elsewhere. YMMV.

The sugar's the massive difference. 0.6g sugar in the carb killa bar, 27g in a snickers bar. Carbs 33g in snickers, 13g in carb killa. 4g protein in snickers, 20g in carb killa. Satisfies my chocolate craving with significantly less sugar, can only be a good thing.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a huge fan of protein bars. I understand they're an acquired taste for some, but I enjoy eating them every day. As stated by someone else, the difference between protein bars and candy bars is the fiber, protein, and sugar content. I'm not going to eat a 200 calorie candy bar when I crave a sweet if the 200 calorie protein bar satisfies that craving while having a better nutritional profile. I even do one of those monthly box subscriptions for protein bars. It's based in the UK and I get to try bars I could never find in the US.

I even have different go to protein bars for different needs. I have my moderate protein, lower carb/fiber bars like Powercrunch to go with my coffee in the morning, then I have my higher protein or higher carb/fiber ones for post-workouts or snacks. I have a shelf in my cabinet just for my protein bars.
  • FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I though this thread was going to be about Yasso.

But I'm glad you found a bar you like so much :)
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Where did you get them?

I live in London so from the local health food shop. Not sure about US.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    If you've only looked at protein bars with a lot of sugar, then sure, pick a kit kat.

I have the Kirkland ones around for snacks; tons of protein, very low sugar, tastes good, easy to throw in my purse. It's not an every day thing, but it's definitely a better choice than a candy bar. There's a time and a place for each.
    yxtpz6332q82.jpg
    h2et4azsowwz.jpg

There is definitely something wrong with that kit kat entry it says it contains no sugar :D I wish.

Glad you found a good protein bar OP, most I have tried so far have a horrible texture even if the taste is ok/good.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Exactly. I want the protein/fiber. If it tastes like a snickers, then cool. But I am not eating the Snickers as I don't get the same nutritional bang for the buck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Exactly. I want the protein/fiber. If it tastes like a snickers, then cool. But I am not eating the Snickers as I don't get the same nutritional bang for the buck.

Yep.

For example, a Quest bar V Snickers bar is chalk and cheese. Completely different macros, and the Quest bar is so much more satisfying, for me anyway.
  • christopherwelch95
    christopherwelch95 Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I looked them up and they're like $5 per a bar... that's way too much for me.
  • everstrong55
    everstrong55 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful but still expensive for me.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    They are quite nice, I've tried the Dark Chocolate Mint & Milk Chocolate Mint they are an Irish based company so will be more expensive outside of UK/Ireland due to import costs. Over here (Ireland) they retail about 2.50 euros so no more expensive than most other Mid-Range Protein Bars in supermarket.