Depressed

Options
foxy6565
foxy6565 Posts: 2 Member
My outlook on life hinges on what my weight is. I know that is unhealthy, but since I was young, I've never felt good enough. I was abused sexually, and this has added to the way I view my appearance. According to the BMI charts, I am 5 lbs overweight, which probably seems insignificant to some people, but I let it pull my world apart. I have 2 kids, a boy and a girl,and I refuse to pass my warped views of my body onto them. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Sincerely, you need to see someone for this. You need to find a therapist.
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that this isn't a healthy mindset. Losing the weight isn't going to change how you feel about yourself. I'm very sorry that you're having such horrible thoughts, I do understand. I struggle with them too! But I have to say, finding myself a professional to speak to has really helped in a lot of ways. A professional can help you see things differently and can teach you how to push those negative thoughts aside to make way for healthier thinking.

You deserve to be happy.
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Agreed. A mental health professional is your first starting point.
  • foxy6565
    foxy6565 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually have seen a therapist, and it helped put some things in perspective, but that was awhile ago and it might be good for me to go back
  • trevorw52
    trevorw52 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    wow that took guts best of luck
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    foxy6565 wrote: »
    I actually have seen a therapist, and it helped put some things in perspective, but that was awhile ago and it might be good for me to go back

This sounds like you have made your mind. Please go and see a therapist again, some issues can not be solved in a short amount of time, and needs a lot of healing.

5 lbs, or 10 lbs, doesn't matter, you need to solve some issues inside before worrying about small things like a few pounds. You said you have two little ones, I am sure they will need you. You gotta help yourself before you can help others. Try to find a good professional that doesn't instantly try to drown you in pills. Wishing the best for you.
  • cozy111
    cozy111 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Message me, I would love to listen to how all of this makes you feel, everything is going to be OK.
    We live in a world where the outside appearance DOES 'seem' to define worth. I do not deny that at all. It's sickening. Go online and every article or video of plus size clothing advertisements has as many positive comments as negative comments written by the fat phobic people. But here is the truth. All that you see on the media, all of the comments you see and all of the bullying? It's all a lie. It's not true. It's like a mirage to the world. You are worth SO much more my lovely sister.
  • cozy111
    Options
    God says you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Not only does the outside appearance not matter in a person, (Samuel 16:7, it's the HEART that the Lord looks at) but you are specifically not here to please people anyway. (Galatians 1:10)
    It's all a lie. You are beautiful, and your two children are a GIFT! You deserve to be their mother! And they are lucky to have you as a mother, we all struggle with things none of us are perfect! Hang in there Foxy! Message me when you feel up to it. ❤️
  • cozy111
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here. I completely recommend seeing a mental health professional. If you are a single mom or without insurance or both, I have some advice so that you can get affordable treatment message me. I give you credit for seeking help by posting this on here but the next step would be to find a professional. Sending lots of love to you and your family during this difficult time.
  • cozy111
    Options
    I would also recommend some online support groups from recovering anorexics. I am not a psychologist (although I've worked very closely w/one) but you seem to have the mindset of someone who is anorexic. I know because that is what I used to feel, too.... Check proana website. If you are a recovering anorexic it can be a great tool to help you realize that you are not alone. (some of the things posted on there are unhealthy and inappropriate though so PLEASE browse intentionally) you can find other people who feel the way you feel and who are looking for help too. It's just an idea, but definitely speak to a professional. Just know that you are not alone and that I have gone through something similar, too but thank God it is passed.