Setbacks and getting back on track

Options
gijaymy1
gijaymy1 Posts: 1 Member
I just started with MFP and going to the gym. I'll have a week of success meeting my daily goals... then I'll give into the late munchies and kill my progress. One cheat day, becomes two... then three... then I beat myself over it and re-commit.

How do you guys find ways to 1- Not cheat 2- Not be so hard in yourself 3- Set realistic goals?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1. Stop being so restrictive that you need to cheat. Find ways to fit those foods you enjoy into your calories.
    2. No one is perfect and being perfect isn't required for weight loss
    3. What's the point of a goal if it isn't realistic - then it really isn't a goal is it? It's an excuse for failure. You either want it or you don't.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @gijaymy1
    welcome to MFP
    Just take it, one day at a time.
    Manage your expectations. I second @Ready2Rock206 , Perfection is the enemy of the good.
    Remember you did not gain all the extra body weight in one month, you will not lose it in one month, either.

Read MFP Most Helpful Post at the beginning of this message board. Here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    Buy yourself a food scale. Weigh everything you ingest. Log it at MFP.
    If you eat at a deficit ( calories burned higher than calories ingested), your weight will decrease.
    Slow and steady wins the race
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with ReadytoRock206. I hit my target weight in the fall of 2014 but over the last year have struggled to maintain doing the exact things you describe. Right now I'm 16 lbs over my goal. I've lost and gained basically the same 20 lbs enough times to build an extra person. Basically I've stopped beating myself up and know that I have to work life back into my intake but I'm learning to better fit it into my calorie budget. I save 200 calories each day to have a high protein snack that I've bought and packaged off to keep me honest...like a little lunch meat and cheese or a few nuts but max of 200 calories so I don't just start grabbing whatever I find. I've tried cutting out a bedtime snack but that doesn't work for me. Good luck and don't give up. You'll find what works for you. Just keep changing things up until you find what works for you.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Agree with alot of above. Also, if you are wanting to munch in the evenings then plan accordingly. Eat a little less throughout the day and enjoy some guilt free, goal meeting pm munching!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My way not to cheat is to not have it on hand. I only keep I house what I need for the week. Pre portioned, weighed. If I take an extra snack bag, I won't be getting one tomorrow. Anyone who lives here, who wants to eat junk, can do it before they get home. Home is where the bad choices aren't
  • elvaaherne
    elvaaherne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too would be a night eater and i find that going to bed early really helps. i try to stick to the intermittent fasting apx 14 hours a day and the other 8 hours of eating really helps as you are basically sleeping through most of it. Dont beat yourself up over it either, we are all guilty of falling off the wagon on occasion and we can only do our best. Best of luck and i hope you manage to keep things on track :o)
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with everything above. Also, meal prep can be really helpful. Prelog everything you're going to eat a day ahead of time and work treats into your day. For example, I make my own homemade protein bars which are delicious and gooey and fudgy. They come in around 250 calories and I usually have one as my 3am snack ( I work graveyards, so equivalent to a 3pm snack). I often also throw in a 100 calorie bag of microwave popcorn around 5am-6am. Just build it into your day.

There a thread in the Recipe sub forum for a low calorie high protein cheesecake. The recipe variations ppl have tried tend to run 150-200 calories per slice. Some ppl are eating cheesecake every day. Low calorie and really helps hit that protein goal.

Also helpful is to take some time to find which types of foods you find really filling. Also low calorie fillers really fell foods be satiating. When you're full you're less likely to graze and binge because you're satisfied. Spinach, mushrooms and bell peppers all have low calories and are great for bulking out meals.