Ketogenic diet veterans/newbies!!!

Options
steven_olkowski
steven_olkowski Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Wanted to reach out to anyone who is starting or is a veteran to the ketogenic lifestyle. My name is Steve and just started ketogenic on Monday may 22....it's going good but I am feeling symptoms associated with "ketogenic flu"...drinking keto lemonade is helping but it's definitely a transition to my body. Hope to have some of you to lean on for support or just to BS. Thanks everyone!!!!

Replies

• JusticejamesbMBA
    JusticejamesbMBA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey man,
    I'm a big lover of Atkins, the original 'keto' diet. I also have M.S. which makes it hard to lose weight. Always looking for friend though, add me if you'd like.
  • steven_olkowski
    steven_olkowski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for replying...here is a dumb question how the hell do I add u as a friend lol?
  • pirahnamedic
    pirahnamedic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started keto last Saturday. Need to lose 35 lbs. I've been having lots of electrolytes and avoided the keto flu. Supplement your diet with magnesium powder and potassium.
  • Mlsuccess2018
    Mlsuccess2018 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Steven, I started Keto on March 6 and have lost 26 pounds. I went through a hard period at first, and at times still get cravings. Expect your weight to go up and then down. Drink plenty of water or liquids and stay hydrated. Me, I would like to lose another 50 pounds or so. It takes daily discipline. If you mess up, it is ok. Just do better tomorrow. Today I messed up, but I am going to do better tomorrow. I ate corn bread with my good southern plate at my sisters house.

Prepare your food ahead of time. Buy lots of green veggies and meat. Remove breads, snacks, and flour products from your house. Talk to your family about reducing their intake and preparing food if you have anyone around. You can always eat different items than they do. Pizza without the bread. Spagetti without the noodles, try a veggie with the sauce instead or chicken. Everyone has different challenges. Do Not Give Up. Life is a challenge and I want to live. I do not want to be a diabetic, lose my eye sight, a foot, or both legs. I have family that have died prematurely because of diabetes. It motivates me to keep going.

There is a Facebook group I belong to called. LCHF - Low Carb High Fat. They have a lot of people on the site and several have written Keto books. Its really a lot of discussion and opinions and encouragement from the people that created the site. They will give you pointers on it. Keep your carbs below 20 grams to start. It all depends on your height too. If you are six foot tall, you may get carbs up to 30 grams. There is a chart called Optimal Ketogenic Living. Look it up and calculate your percentages and calorie intake. The group LCHF says to measure everything to be sure and get your required percentages of carbs, fat, and protein correct. The biggie is NO CARBS! That really means as little as possible, ha ha. They have several notes on taking magnesium powder and potassium and sodium tablets. It may depend on if you are diabetic, have high blood pressure, etc. Keep up the good work.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I am doing the low carb, higher fat, moderate protein with added intermittent fasting. I have a good 130 lbs to lose. I am going to get this done, one day at time. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)