Did I harm my health?

Options
sarahcohee
sarahcohee Posts: 36 Member
I started tracking my calories at the beginning of April. Beginning in early May, I started eating about 1200 calories per day, and exercising about 500 calories per day. I didn't realize you were supposed to eat back some exercise calories, so I was only getting about 700 net calories on some days. This only lasted about three weeks before I learned more about what the proper way is. I have adjusted to now eating 1600 (TDEE - 500) + at least half exercise calories. Anyway, my question is the potential damage I may have done to my body during those weeks. Could I have damaged my heart? What other things might have been damaged? For reference, I am 31F, 5'8" and about 220lbs. Any info on this or advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm panicked that I really hurt myself.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that you did any damage in that short amount of time. The human body can handle a lot of abuse.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    sarahcohee wrote: »
    I have adjusted to now eating 1600 (TDEE - 500) + at least half exercise calories.

I just wanted to quickly address this. Did you get the 1600 calories from MFP or a TDEE calculator? If the former, then yes eat your exercise calories back,but if you're following the TDEE method, then your exercise calories should be included in the number and you do not eat them back.

As for the harming your health question, you only ate low calories for a short time, you'll be fine.

• sarahcohee
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I calculated my TDEE on a different site, but used the sedentary level because my exercise isn't always predictable. I used sedentary, with the idea of eating back some calories as I exercise. Does that make sense?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I calculated my TDEE on a different site, but used the sedentary level because my exercise isn't always predictable. I used sedentary, with the idea of eating back some calories as I exercise. Does that make sense?

Yeah makes sense. I just calculated my TDEE at sedentary on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ , and it gave me 23 calories less than MFP, so they are pretty much on par with one another.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Yeah makes sense. I just calculated my TDEE at sedentary on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ , and it gave me 23 calories less than MFP, so they are pretty much on par with one another.

Yup, basically the MFP method. NEAT plus exercise.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If it was for three months, your hair would start to fall out - but it was only three weeks
  • sarahcohee
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I feel better and happy that I'm on the right track now! :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    All good! Glad you caught it though. You would have felt pretty crumby soon! Enjoy the extra calories :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Bodies are not that fussy. People go through very traumatic, extreme circumstances for extended periods of time and their bodies are fine.