running 10k time

Options
I've been running for 3 months and did my first 10 km in 53 min is that good for being 30 years old and ex smoker ?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Just doing a 10k is great though.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'd be chuffed to bits with that time!!
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with @Ready2Rock206 only compare yourself to yourself. Unless you are doing it professionally then its ok to break that rule lol
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    adam293 wrote: »
    I've been running for 3 months and did my first 10 km in 53 min is that good for being 30 years old and ex smoker ?

If you're happy with it, then that's the main thing.

To get an appreciation of how you compare locally look up some races and see what the times were.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think thats very good!!
  • Madsocks
    Madsocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did my first last night in 1:17:45, absolutely made up with that.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My first 10k back in 2014 was 1:22 so I think your time is great. I haven't done another since but I signed up to do the same one again this year and my goal is 1:15.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Good? No. Your in the bottom 50%, and 27 minutes off WR pace.

That's what you asked, right?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Congrats! Finishing your first 10K running all of it is great, regardless of the time! How did you rank among your age group at the event? I don't think they track stats based on smokers, ex smokers, and non-smokers.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    adam293 wrote: »

What time is good? A time you're happy with. Be careful what field you pick to compare yourself to.

53 minutes for a 10K = 5:18 per kilometer or 8:33 per mile. That's something you can use to measure against your future efforts. Normally, a new runner can get faster for 5 or 10 years from when they start running. If you keep at it, you will probably have faster times in the future. How much faster? I don't know. That depends on your underlying ability and how well you develop it.

Some people would say compare yourself to your age group. Even that can be deceptive, as age group results are highly dependent on who shows up. In local events, I win my age group quite a bit and usually finish ahead of everyone older than me. I ran my PR 8K and 10K races in USATF masters national events, finishing 8th and 6th in my age group and behind the top 2 in the next older age group. National events draw a much tougher field.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Is that a good time for you? If so, that's all that matters. I think you'll find that most runners are not interested in comparing their times to someone else's, and only want to beat our own personal records. I know I'm not going to win the races that I enter, so I'm not competing with all the other people in the race; I'm just trying to hit my own goals. Now that you have a 10k finish time, you can use that to set a goal for your next race.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Or, if you are really interested and curious, you could look up age grading for the various runs on the web. But you are really running against yourself. PB is all that really matters. Improve and feel good about yourself.