Thai food... HELP!

Options
Hi There,

I'm going out for lunch with some co-workers to a Thai restaurant for lunch... I don't usually eat Thai so I'm wondering what are some healthy options I could get? Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Replies

• Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thai can be really healthy because they usually don't fry things and they use a ton of veggies. The key is avoid Coconut Milk. I usually get Pad Ka Prow which is spicy chicken and veggies, and then when I get it I also get a box put half of it in. Yummy luch today and tomorrow.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i usually get some sort of veg stir fry and dont eat much of the rice that it comes with
  • funayman
    funayman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    if its a common restaurant MyFitnessPal might have some of their foods in their database you can always try and look up some meals before you go out to eat
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The last time I had thai, I got the Drunken Noodles, or Pad Ki Mao, no tofu, but shrimp instead (to watch the sodium content). Thai food is relatively healthy if you avoid cream sauces, it's the sodium that is an issue. Anyway, I got a huge plate of the noodles and I could only eat about 1/3 of the plate, about 350 calories. Not bad at all for a restaurant!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try having a broth based soup to start to fill you up or even as your main dish. Lots of thai soups have very tasty seafood. I'd avoid the noodle dishes and the dishes with coconut milk if i were you. Look for a veggie or tofu dish with a light sauce and only eat about half a cup of rice. Definitely get a togo container and pack up half of it before you even start if you get a main dish. I always do that when i go out.
  • deyeane
    deyeane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get Pad Thai and always ask for a take-home box immediately. I put half in the box (and off my plate). Half order of restaurant Pad Thai is around 350 calories. Very yummy for lunch the next day.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thai can be really healthy because they usually don't fry things and they use a ton of veggies. The key is avoid Coconut Milk. I usually get Pad Ka Prow which is spicy chicken and veggies, and then when I get it I also get a box put half of it in. Yummy luch today and tomorrow.

Love basil chicken (pad gra pao...although it is stir-fried)! That's what I usually get at Thai restaurants. Watch out for things with peanut sauce, too. And a lot of the soups/curries may be made with coconut milk. Most Thai restaurants will also have some generic chicken/veggie/stirfry type dish.
  • shaverkl191
    shaverkl191 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!! I ended up having edamame to start and had some mango chicken with stir fried veggies!